The rumors are wrong...THIS is how the new 4 Inch iPhone will look

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickpro, May 16, 2012.

1. nickpro macrumors regular

2. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yep, you're the first to start a thread about the new iphone and its screen. Congrats.

Anyway, that piece is nonsense. Why go to the trouble of redesigning the phone without increasing the pixel count. There's no benefit whatsoever.

----------

I think I'll just buy a factory unlocked 4S and be done with it

5. nickpro thread starter macrumors regular

i meant referencing this specific article

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Ah, ok, that makes some sense then.

If you don't mind; copy the text of the article, because my work thinks the site is bad for some reason, sp I can't open it.

7. nickpro thread starter macrumors regular

i think everyone is underestimating Apple's focus on one-handed navigation and comfortableness when holding the iPhone. the "stretched-out" 4 inch screen that is on this site and others will hinder that considerably IMO.

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I would actually prefer some semblance of a bezel, no matter how thin. I think edge-to-edge displays (especially on a white phone) look horrible.

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

10. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I very well could be, but the iPad does not have the same aspect ratio as the iPhone as the article implies. And secondly, I don't mind Apple increasing the screen size in whatever way, but they need to up the resolution as well. I like my Retina, gentlemen. Something has got to give. Either we're losing some of the PPI, developers have to adapt to a new screen ratio, developers have to adapt to a new resolution, developers have to adapt to both a new resolution and a new aspect ratio, or we get the same screen size.

11. chambone, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I don't know. I find one handed comfort quite important, but I don't think the concept on the page you linked to makes much of a difference. I just don't think it's worthwhile to spend r&d money on a screen that has the same resolution, but is just a little bigger. As long as they keep the phone's dimensions the same, I don't care what they do with the screen.

If Apple thinks one handed use is important, so much the better.

12. rgctx macrumors regular

I doubt it will have a bigger screen. Were on the 3rd version of the ipad and still on the same size screen, imo i dont want a iphone with a bigger screen, i think its fine just the way it is, i find it useless to carry a phone with a screen bigger than 3.5.

13. kaielement macrumors 65816

Thank you. Have you tried to walk around with a bigger phone in your pocket? Makes it look like you have a bonner all day lol.

14. yinz macrumors 6502a

If that is the plan, and they did have the technology to make the bezel that small, I hope they make the top and bottom bezel smaller too. That mock up looks good, but the design is horrid..

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Cripes, that old design? First off, there are components and frame under the screen panel, it can not go side to side. Besides, it looks like ass.

Next!

[​IMG]

16. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

17. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I don't see anywhere that it says the iPhone and iPad have the same aspect ratio.

In any case, i do agree, something is going to have to change on the developers side. Even if they did just a taller screen every app would either have to have a default "blank" area which the developers could then go back and fix, or every app would have to get redesigned before it went on the new phone.

In all honesty i haven't seen anyone mention this point. If they do make a change to the phone, they will have to make a change to iOS, meaning developers would most likely want to know about it when iOS 6 is announced/betas start rolling out. Perhaps we could see an announcement at WWDC of both the new iOS and iPhone.

But hey that's just a personal "hope"/"theory" lol

18. JAT macrumors 603

You have to be able to hold the phone. It's a touchscreen, when your fingers wrap just a bit around the edge, you would touch the screen. There must be a small side bezel.

19. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Completely agree. That small bezel edge in portrait mode is actually very important. Much like one-handed operations, it's a fact that we take for granted because we can just do it.

20. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

My fault. Misread.

21. cynics macrumors G4

Be some interesting designed cases with THAT little bezel. And my gripe with one handed use is that back/cancel button it always at the far upper left.

If apple was so interested in one hand use everything would be toward the bottom. Any increase in height will make it near impossible for me to use one handed. I need to adjust my hand as it is now. The screen could be 5" as long as everything you need to touch is at the bottom the majority of the time.

22. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

True, although with the emphasis on small. The bezel could probably be a quarter the thickness it is now and still be OK.

23. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I can see the internet complaints now, and Apple will fix it by giving a free bumper case.

24. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Free? No, it'll cost $29.

25. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I got it for ya Ag... ;)