Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
As I recall not everyone by far had an issue with the antenna with the 4, and the CDMA version didn't even have that issue. Bending was overblown as well and certainly didn't affect that many. Certainly some issues here or there, just as there have been some with S versions that some people have experienced. Basically far from saying that it's somehow silly to go for the numbered version somehow and it only makes sense to go for the S one.

Every GSM iPhone 4 had the antenna issue; it was a failure in engineering. CDMA didn't suffer because Verizon requires diversity antennas (which ultimately ended up being the fix for the GSM 4S).

I never said it was silly to buy the numbered version, but that I personally am tired of beta testing for Apple.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Until the new numbered version releases, which then makes it immediately obvious you are using last year's model - for an entire year.

I have the 6+. But again, other than laying it upside down next to a 6S+ you wouldn't know.

So what you're saying is you're very concerned with how using the S version will appear to others, it won't be immediately recognizable as new. I find that fascinating.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Every GSM iPhone 4 had the antenna issue; it was a failure in engineering. CDMA didn't suffer because Verizon requires diversity antennas (which ultimately ended up being the fix for the GSM 4S).

I never said it was silly to buy the numbered version, but that I personally am tired of beta testing for Apple.
You didn't say that, but some others certainly at the very least implied it heavily if not essentially said that.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
It doesn't matter where in the cycle you land. Every phone is improved relative to the previous one, S or not.

All that said, the 6 is the first phone I've owned that didn't have me longing for something that was missing, so I have very little drive to get myself impressed over the new one. Luckily for me, I feel like the new features on the 6S are all ones I don't care about or even want.

If the 7 impresses, I'll upgrade, if not, I'll go three years on the six. Rinse and repeat for iPhone 7S.

I do tend to like the fresh redesign though. The iPhone 4 was exciting, and I felt the same about the 6. The S cycles have never really piqued my interest in any specific way.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I wouldn't say 'true'. It's just a different focus on every release. Just upgrade every year and this won't be an issue ;).

Reactions: skiltrip

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
So for me, the iPhone 6s is the REAL iPhone 6.

I feel the same. When I had my iPhone 4, I was so jealous of my friends who had the 4S. Even when the 5 came out, the iPhone 4S was still kicking ass haha! So, I skipped the 5 & got the 5S which until now is an awesome phone! I will be purchasing the 6S. The "S" series is the top of the line in my book.

I really want to keep my 5S as a back up phone or iPod touch but the new iPhones are just too expensive so I might just sell the 5S to compensate on the expense towards the 6S 64GB. If the base model started with 32GB, it would be a different ball game.

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
iPhone 4 antenna and iPhone 6 plus bending were the big ones. iPhone 4 probably being the worst since the phone was not usable as a phone without a case if you held it with your left hand. iPhone 5 I didn't really follow since I didn't buy it - I don't think they had much beyond the scratched slate phones IIRC

iPhone 5 #scratchgate

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
So…how do you feel when the guys on the numbered path get an iPhone with a new body style and new features and you have the "S" model?

Maybe the "S" model improves on the numbered model. Maybe the "S" model is better than the previous numbered model. But I prefer the outside changes.

Other than laying my 6+ down next to someone else's 6S+ who knows what model I have between the two? But when the iPhone 7 is released most people will know I have the iPhone 7 and not a 6+ or 6S+.

Just my take.

Lol. No one in this world cares about which iPhone version you have. People might be curious when it's released, but if that's the reason for buying the numbered version then you need to find new priorities in life.

Reactions: ABC5S

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
They S cycle will always improve the last in some form of a major hardware. The 4S was dual core processing, 5S was touchID and now 3D Touch and hopefully tri-core.

Don't know what 7S but I sure hope it's some form of super charged battery that makes the device last for days.

^^ Yes.

Assuming the 6S is the solid performer we're expecting it to be, the only major mountain left for Apple to climb is battery life. Let's see some of those patents come to fruition like photovoltaic cells built into the screen/back plate or hydrogen fuel cells.

phteven

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
There is more value in using the best version of a form factor. That's why I decided to wait for the s model.

No, the 5's hardware was quite an upgrade over the 4s. Twice the RAM and much better CPU performance. The 5s was another big performance improvement on top of that.

Also, the display upgrades are normally reserved for the non-s models.

Yeah, I hope iPhone 7 will bring us that sweet micro-LED technology.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
ALL iPhones are the same
1) can you call someone with it?
2) can you use safari?
3) can you email someone with it?
4) can you charge your phone?

if you say yes to all of these...you know all of them are the same.
:D

Reactions: ABC5S

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
ALL iPhones are the same
1) can you call someone with it?
2) can you use safari?
3) can you email someone with it?
4) can you charge your phone?

if you say yes to all of these...you know all of them are the same.
:D
Yeah, the original iPhone is the same as the latest one!

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
iPhone 5 #scratchgate

Add to that: batteries that failed prematurely, and flaky power buttons. Apple eventually fixed these problems a few months into production, but it can't have been fun for affected customers.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Until the new numbered version releases, which then makes it immediately obvious you are using last year's model - for an entire year.

I have the 6+. But again, other than laying it upside down next to a 6S+ you wouldn't know.

Unless you get the rose gold version.

Reactions: eyoungren

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Numbered iterations are an easier sell due to their new form-factor, the S line requires feature updates to warrant it's existence and to keep sales high.

While I don't think every S feature was initially meant for the mainline entry, I wouldn't disagree to the idea Apple withholds certain features with the S model in mind to space out the new feature additions.

However the other side of the coin is that maybe the mainline entries restrict many new additions feature-wise due to the new form factor, and the extra year refining and getting familiar with the new casings etc allow designers to be more ambitious with their feature-ideas.

ftlum

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
I'm really glad to have read this thread. For years, I've been bummed out that I've been stuck on being able to upgrade on the S years (I still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and the subsidized phones every 2 years still is the best deal). I had not thought about all the pros of the S years, particularly about how the bugs of the previous version are worked out those years.

The non S releases will still seem the most 'sexy' to me, but I now appreciate the benefits of upgrading on the S years.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
After antennagate and bendgate, I think I'm going to try to stick to the S cycles now. Tired of beta testing for Apple

If you want the least problems then the S cycle is your best bet. It makes sense why it would be more solid considering it's a refinement generation.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The iPhone 4 thing was largely a non issue because IMO that phone needed at least a bumper to avoid scratching the glass surfaces. To be honest I'd say most iPhone models need something because they have usually been kind of slippery. Its actually common problem on many phones, I had to put a back cover with better grip on my S4 or else it would already be in pieces.
The iPhone 4 "issue" was real. I know because I did have the iPhone 4, and simply touching the "spot" reduced the signal. And of course, as shown by Apple, this issue existed on other phones as well. Now, in many places around the world, this was not such a big deal since presumably the wireless carriers have enough signal strength to begin with. The issue became apparent on AT&T in the US, where in certain part of the countries, it didn't have strong enough coverage/signal. Times the number of iPhone users in the US, and of course you have people noticing and complaining.

CDMA iPhone 4 was released later, and the antenna design was fixed, similar to the 4S design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.