Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stu911

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
I used adblockers and had the crash just as often. Also never went to YouTube. Seems unrelated in my case.
I have this problem with my 2010 iMac/Sierra. Finally gave up and switched to
Also on iMac late-2009, this problem crops up a bunch more on 10.12 than before (still happened occasionally before though). Switched to Chrome, which I don't particularly like, and now it never happens. : [
I had the same problem, 2010 iMac/Sierra switched to Firefox no more freezing. Funny thing is my 2012 MBP/Sierra has no problems.

cerealrecords

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Yeah it's funny that this specific glitch is specific to a certain era of iMacs/Safari. I mean, I get the theory that there is some voodoo combination of in-house loosey-goosey broswer-OS stuff that just so happened to birth this goofy, full-stop hang. But I dunno, vanilla web browsing to hard restart seemed out of the ordinary for mature OS X. In the beginning, I was sure it was memory. Or heat. There was a failing hard drive. But that guy gave me beach-balls. This one is too subtle.

And I thought however they accidentally invented it, they might accidentally un-invent it. I guess that's why people, or me, at least, are still subscribed to this thread.

And then as JesperA talked abt earlier, it seems not unlikely our backlights will fail before our Safaris don't. Look around, half the thread with an aftermarket boot SSD etc. Me too. I can edit video. (Sorta.) What a workhorse. So I can swallow switching to Chrome if I can keep this one going, and maybe I can even forgive their indifference to their backwards compatibility if they keep making em as good. And don't cut too many corners with the integrated app-OS cheats. Please don't sacrifice anything for fingerpaint function keys.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
I still get this problem
Only 2 months left until the first anniversary of the bug, maybe Apple waits until then to release the bugfix in a celebratory manner ;)

No but seriously, sad to hear that its still not fixed for you guys, this should have been fixed eons ago

franklymusic

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
macOS 10.12.2 (16C48b) finally froze, it ran fine for days however so it definitely feels like it's getting better.

this has stymied me bad. acquired a mac mini 7,1 with 16GB of RAM, installed clean Sierra...the thing will freeze up every hour or so.

driving me a little nuts.

RLMR

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2016
I am so glad I came across this thread... I am not alone, it is not just my machine.

Same problems: iMac 27" (Late 2009); keyboard and mouse or trackpad "buttons" freeze. Computer continues to do its thing in the back ground but whilst I can move the cursor around the screen, I cannot left or right click or any other gesture. No response (other than moving the cursor/pointer around the screen) from gestures/clicks not key board commands.

Gone to the extent of going back to Magic Mouse, thinking it was a Trackpad fault - no; used USB wired Keyboard, thinking it might be a wireless keyboard fault - no; down loaded macOS Sierra thinking the upgrade might cure the fault - no; created bootable USB stick and went for clean install of 10.12.1 - no; thought about purchasing a new iMac, however Apple kindly increased all their prices due to the £:$ rate changes (so they say). Would have thought about the £1,600 but it's now £1950... so I can make do with my MBP, which (so far) does not display the "fault." My MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) basically mirrors all the Apps and documents I have on my iMac... yet no fault.

To say I am frustrated is an understatement.

OskarsRacevskis

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2015
I found out the solution for the freezing my macbook pro (early 2011). I tried everything like deleting caches, onyx etc. However, I noticed that my macbook got quite hot and I started to investigate if my macbook pro is freezing when the cpu load gets really high. Then I though that it must be overheating. I proceeded to download macs fan control and I found out that my MacBook's fan is constantly at 2000rpm even when the cpu temps are over 80C. my freeze occurred every time cpu got over 80Celsius. I made custom fan curve for the macbook and now it stays at max 70degrees celsius and doesn't freeze anymore. I felt like apple intentionally disabled automatic fan with el capitan to overheat/break fully functioning older MacBooks. And I didn't use any fan control software before. However, using one fixed the freezing problem.

EDIT: Same happened to my wife's macbook pro (mid 2009) and the same fix made freezes go away.

EDIT2: I also suspect that overheating macbook pro also has destroyed 3 sata cables in my macbook pro. (I have changed it 3 times or they are really ****** quality cables)

So, this fixed my issue. Thanks a bunch Samimac, i was having this for more than half a year. I need to say that my rMBP had had some overheating issues before, where i would get like 15 fps in firstpersonshooter games like CS:GO, when it got really hot, but a simple fix of cleaning the dust from my mac resolved that issue.

Regarding this fix, I think You are right, Samimac, it has to do with CPU usage and therefor also with the CPU temperature since one corresponds to the other. My only question to You, my friend, is because of my customizing the fan control options, sometimes the fans would turn on on full throttle for like 2-3 seconds, then quickly calm down and that would happen for a while, depending on what i do at that moment. You think thats cool, bro?

thanks a lot, god bless

edit: i take it all back, Samimac, it is worse than before. now it crashes even more ofter .. around 3 times a day on average. valve fix

Last edited:

baker314

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
I understand, and I do not expect that to work. "Remote Login" in the Sharing tab refers to SSH, a command-line interface that should work even if your screen is stuck. Think of it as remote Terminal. If you are not familiar with Terminal then it may not be of great use to you - but in a pinch you could log in and type:

sudo shutdown -r now

and try to reboot the machine cleanly without having to power it off.

A.

I have this same problem. Had this for years. Seems to happen in Safari when scrolling using the mouse. Can remote ssh into the machine. Everything is sleeping, except for maybe one thing that was "stuck" if I do a "top". I tried killing processes but so far haven't found anything that free's up my screen. It's like the GUI is dead. When I initiate the shutdown -r remotely, I can hear the computer start to shutdown, the ssh gets terminated, but it does not reboot. I have to hard kill it again. I think I hear to little "dud dings" from the computer after shutdown is initiated. Would love to have this solved. Super annoying. Almost as annoying as the really slow boot up.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Don't forget to give an update when anyone of you guys have tested the 10.12.2(P)B4 for a couple of days

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2015
macOS 10.12.2 (16C53a) froze after just 5 min of usage.

Yep, still crashes in 10.12.2 beta 4 and Safari Tech Preview 18.

Also, this appears to be a bug in WebKit (in connection with some ATI display drivers), not just in Safari, as the freeze can also occur when browsing the iTunes Store in iTunes, for example. As people seldom browse the iTunes Store or Mac App Store, the issue just manifests much more frequently in Safari.

As Apple has closed the original bug report on this (prior to the release of 10.12.2 beta 3), there are 2 possibilities:

1. Apple has fixed this, but hasn't yet included the fix in a public build.
2. Apple has decided to never fix this for whatever reason, and has simply closed the issue.

Sadly, 2 beta releases later and the second possibility is becoming more and more plausible.

Reactions: cerealrecords

superduperultra

Suspended
Nov 5, 2008
CaptShazbot
Nov 16, 2016 1:34 PM in response to riadfromhabsheim

Everyone,

Today Apple marked the *original* bug report on this as closed, as opposed to the duplicate reports some of us submitted. This hopefully means that Apple believes it has resolved the issue. While we can't know when a fix will be released, hopefully this will be with the final version of 10.12.2.

Is this the report you're referring to?

Last edited:

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2015
From https://discussions.apple.com/message/30969257?start=270&tstart=0
---

*** IMPORTANT — PLEASE READ ***

I have received a new response from the Apple Developer Bug Reporting Team, after I asked for more information regarding why the original bug report for this issue had been closed.

Sadly, Apple has confirmed that there is NO PLANNED FIX for this bug. I repeat: Apple has closed this issue in their internal system with a note saying they do not plan to ever fix it.

If you are affected by this issue, I would now encourage you to email Apple executives directly. Be sure to mention the original Apple bug ID #26003116, and petition them to not abandon their customers.

- Craig Federighi, SVP Software Engineering: federighi@apple.com
- Phil Schiller, SVP Wordwide Marketing: schiller@apple.com

It would also be great if the original poster of this thread, riadfromhabsheim, could add this information to his original post to help inform everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: cerealrecords

The_Joker13

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2016
Florida
Had same issue on my 2009 iMac as well. Instead of using safari I switched to Chrome and have had no issues. It sucks, but I'll be upgrading when the new iMac comes out next year so I'll just deal for now. Only issue I've had with my mac, so I'm not too mad.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden

I put your quote into the original post here on MacRumors, hopefully people will contact Apple even more now after their stupid bug handling. Apple has been so incredible unhelpful even since day 1, we have given them tons of logs, we sent tons of bug reports, we did everything we could and what did we get in return? Nothing, it has been like talking to a brick wall, alot of time when i contacted them they even refused to acknowledge that this bug even existed. But now, when they finally had acknowledge the bug, they closed it and refuses to fix it? What the hell kind of idiotic customer service is that?

How ridiculous it may sound Apple have really worked hard lately to upset their loyal customers

brianvh

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2016
New York
The adblocker at least is testable. I turn the adblock off and on because some sites require it off; sometimes forget to turn it back on. Since it toggles you can tell if it's on or off on reboot.

Safari hasn't crashed for me in a few days but it may be because I've been quitting rather than just closing the window. Several things to test here.

franklymusic

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
fixed my issue, but it was a matter of updating the firmware on my internal Crucial SSD M4 drive. I may not be having the same issues as many on here. Mine may have been different.

Emehrkay

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
macOS 10.12.2 (16C60b) just froze, bug still there.

Just happened to me. Again. For the 100th time. im kinda relieved that it's a WebKit issue because I've updated the hard drive, ram, did a fresh install. I even thought it was java that I was running. I might have to buy a new computer

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Just happened to me. Again. For the 100th time. im kinda relieved that it's a WebKit issue because I've updated the hard drive, ram, did a fresh install. I even thought it was java that I was running. I might have to buy a new computer

Im so sick of this problem.... would installing Firefox or google chrome fix this? Its gotten to the point that I'm terrified to brows the web on my mac. I even wasted a ton of time doing a fresh install and setting up everything fresh... worked for a few months and then started happening again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.