The saga of my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BJB Productions, Jan 3, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

So I kinda want to explain my saga of my (late 2009) Macbook Pro.

I got the first generation of the MBP shortly after it came out.... I actually purchased it on Black Friday.

Anyhoo-
    -The specs:
    -15" Glossy Screen
    -2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Due
    -2 GB 1064 MHz DDR3
    -NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    -Toshiba 250gb HDD
    (So as you can see, pretty basic machine.)

Anyway, I'd only had the computer a few months when I started getting the blinking folder on startup. I brought it in, and they verified the HDD was going bad, so they gave me a new HDD. About a month later, I had the same problem happen again. The "Genius" I talked to said it was probably my Logic Board, so they replaced that. However, after getting my computer back from the shop, on my first startup, I got the blinking folder. So I TOOK it back AGAIN, and they replaced my HDD again.

A few months later, I started having issues with both the HDD not spinning up and my USB affecting my iSight camera (weird I know) so I brought it in again, and they finally just replaced my whole computer.

Everything worked great for a while, until once again, I started getting the flashing folder on startup, I took it in and they replaced my HDD again. (Yeah, this is like HDD number 3 for me now)

Since then, I have had the HDD replaced two other times, along with my superdrive, and MagSafe adapter.......I'm not exactly liked at my local Apple Store.... they know me by name... I don't exactly like going there anymore... :(

I also want to note that I literally baby my computer; I almost polish it daily, and am extremely careful with it

So my current list of repairs looks like this:
    • 5 HDD replacements
    • New Logic Board
    • New Super Drive
    • MagSafe adapter
    • New Computer

ALL that being said, I plan to sell my computer as soon as Apple Care expires; I can't risk having a flakey computer on my hands... I can't afford to pay for all the repairs. My Apple Care will expire next December, so I'm hoping I can sell it around late December- early January and be just in time for the new MBP refresh, which I'm hoping that year will include possible:

Slight redesign
    Lighter computer (in weight)
    Faster (of course)
    Possibly retina display

Why I'm posting all this is mainly just because I wanted to hear if anyone else has had anything similar happen to them.... I'm a sucker for when it comes to first generation Apple stuff, but now I know.

2. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Sell it while it still has apple care in effect on it. I have sold a few and I notice a get a few extra hundred dollars if it is still under warranty. Just a suggestion.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

that sounds very odd. I havent really heard of people having so many issues. Possibly there is a power issue in your house that is taking things out on this because if you had two differant macbooks and both were going through parts there must be some reasonable explaination

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I had a similar problem with my 2007 mbp. Multiple repairs and service calls. Finally they just replaced the machine and no more issues at all.

It is a shame what you have gone through, especially with 2 different machines. It is certainly not the norm. I admire you for sticking with Apple through all of that and wanting to buy another laptop from them.

I would certainly cell the computer while under warranty. It will be worth more, plus it is just the right thing to do for the next owner, who may have issues with the machine like you have had. Better to give someone a 6 month warranty vs. nothing at all. Just the ethical thing to do, IMO.

5. al2o3cr macrumors regular

I don't understand why people keep bringing this up - it's simply NOT POSSIBLE with current screen technology. A 15" screen of the same dimensions as the current MBP (13"x8.2") but the iPhone's 326 ppi resolution would need to be roughly 4200x2600 - more pixels than current state-of-the-art 4k monitors (which, BTW, run about $50k each). Even if they lowered the resolution target to 200ppi, it'd still mean cramming a 27" display resolution into a 15" space...

6. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Well first of all, I'm talking two years down the road; a lot can change in that time. Secondly, my guess is that it wouldn't be like the the iPhone screen- more like the retina in the iPod Touch.

7. aCondor macrumors 6502

Sucks for whoever buys it. I hope you at least tell them how many repairs you've had to do with your MBP. I wouldn't want to be the sucker who buys this lemon.

But, hey, if you sell it as-is... it is the buyer's responsibility to determine the value of the item before purchasing. Ahhh... the ethics issue...;)

8. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

sounds more like the problem is user not hardware. I have a feeling that you carry around your laptop in sleep mode or hibernation mode instead of doing a complete shut off, and you are messing up the drive head.

9. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Actually I shutdown my computer almost every night.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Completely misinformed. There is nothing wrong with carrying around the laptop in sleep mode... Many mac users go without shutting down for weeks or months at a time. He is not damaging his HD head by doing so either unless he is slamming his computer around and in that case, it wouldn't matter if the computer was running, sleeping or shut off.

11. INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

That's why I would never buy second-hand machines, even from Apple.
    BTW, it would be nice if Apple stores would let us check a computer's history from its serial number, a little bit like cars...

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just keep bringing it into Apple and then after you have a good history of repairs, just complain to Apple and hopefully they'll do something about it (replacement).

I would really feel bad for the buyer buying a faulty machine.

13. HBOC macrumors 68020

Mine has had a ton done to it.

Early 08', bought new 10/08.

12/08 had a new logicboard put in it $800

April 2010 had a new keyboard installed

12/10 had upper case, logic board, keyboard and battery replaced.
    1/11 had new screen/bezel/rear screen case replaced.

I still have 10 months of AC left. I will sell this beauty (i don't really want to) in July most likely. Then I will buy a new one.

Another option is to get this covered under renters/home owners' insurance. Mine is covered for like $15 a month. Anything happens to it, it is covered.

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

That is complete bull shiest. I have had mine for years and it NEVER is turned off. I carry this around everywhere and i have NEVER EVER had a hard drive fail. I swapped out my OEM in December 2009 for a Hitachi 500GB.

If it was a problem to carry it around like that, there would be huge disclaimers from all manufacturers, and also I would have had problems. I have hiked 30 miles with my MBP in my bag, not shut off.

15. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Bull. The particular MacBook Pro I have in my signature has been shut down 4 times since it has been purchased, has been used on a daily basis for 9+ hours/day with virtual environments and gaming done on it, and has no issues like the OP has described. You do realize that modern hard drives are meant to withstand the kind of usage that you described?

It's a crappy roll of the dice from the Apple factory, I'd probably be ripping into them for a full out new replacement given the number of issues, and would accept nothing less. (Hell some users on here have had replacements for a lot less issues showing up on their laptops)

16. Politis macrumors regular

You're darn right. They should give the history of its serial number.
    Is it possible that Apple on occasions replaces an item in your computer with something they salvaged or repaired from another computer?

17. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i would have demanded a new computer when they told me the logic board was bad. btw i'm a bit confused. you say you bought a first gen MBP but you also say it's a late 2009. which is it?

18. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Sorry; it's a late 2009 first gen Uni-body model.

19. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Demanding a replacement from them wouldn't have gotten anything done. They don't replace computers that easily.

20. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah agreed. This computer I have now has a repair history of over 4 repairs... I thought once you hit 4 they just replaced your computer, but maybe since they already did that once they don't want to do it again.