Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Oh so sales are the deciding factor? Truth is Apple is STILL playing catchup to Samsung and the rest of the Android phones GLOBALLY
Great so then there is this.......
So consumer have spoken with the dollars to equal actual sales!

http://i.imgur.com/Bm4vYacl.png[/img

[url=http://i.imgur.com/QvL2hHRl.png]Image[/url][/QUOTE]

That would be valid only if every single android smartphone sold was the same price as an iPhone. Or are you saying that Apple has to outsell every Android OEM combined in order to be considered a success?

This isn't a democracy where it's 1 vote per unit sold. It's a free market, where it's 1 vote per dollar of sales, and when you consider that Apple got 89% of the smartphone profits not so long ago, this meant that Apple earned 8 times everyone else combined!

As I have said, this just means that neither sales nor market share is in itself a meaningful metric of how successful a product is, though each does help to shed some light on the matter.

If you ask me, the real winners are Apple (because they get all the hardware profits) and Google (they get the market share and the advertising revenue). Remember, Google does not have to lose for Apple to win (and vice versa), as their business models are wholly different. The losers are the hardware vendors (like Samsung) who have to contend with increasing commoditisation of their products and ever diminishing profits.

That's my take at least. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll just say this .... I do more research than forbes.com

I have both challenged & corrected Gordon Kelly on a number of occasions on twitter due to inaccurate reporting.

Enough said.

News articles on Forbes.com are as reliable as the News on Fox !!!
"Even the truth, once reported on Fox is a lie ......" - Louis Griffin

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is utter BS! The people who buy phones do not make this part of their buying decision. Oh I am going to buy an Apple phone because they make more profit from me! See I like how they can over charge me and make more profit! No! They buy based on needs and requirements.
This who;e sales on count if you make the profits Apple does is stupid! It does factor into people's decision to buy a phone.
Sales are king. Apple/IOS is very far behind Android/Samsung
Lets add some actual real sales figures to the discussion.

----------

It is a direct one to one comparison. Apple makes the iPhone and they are the only one to make a phone with IOS. Apple makes it that way. They don't allow any one else to make a IOS phone. So they put themselves in the this position. You can't punish Samsung (or Android OEMs) because Apple doesn't want to license IOS.

Go back and reread my post carefully and see if I really said that, or, did you perhaps, unwittingly(or maybe wittingly) apply a misinterpretation?

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
How do you juggle both devices? I'm in the same predicament and love both but realistically I don't need both handsets.

Personally I prefer the big screen of iphone 6 plus and also the battery life. But I'm willibg to do without the bigger screen for customizing the phone the way I want.
Also the camera is also pretty. I definitely prefer my s6.

However the battery life is slightly disappointing. I have to keep it on power saving mode just to get a days decent battery life.

I've been using my s6 more than my iPhone 6+ lately.

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
I'll just say this .... I do more research than forbes.com

I have both challenged & corrected Gordon Kelly on a number of occasions on twitter due to inaccurate reporting.

Enough said.

News articles on Forbes.com are as reliable as the News on Fox !!!
"Even the truth, once reported on Fox is a lie ......" - Louis Griffin

I wasn't drawing any conclusions one way or another about which phone is higher quality, or which phone looks better. The numbers just don't reflect that Apple will have to do anything to 'catch up'. Whether they are way behind, or at the same level is irrelevant because it appears that people don't want to buy the S6 any more than they wanted to buy the Galaxy S5, despite the S6 being an objectively far superior effort. The hardware specs just don't matter that much to people.

I think it is an indictment of the rapacious pricing that Samsung has released that basically parrots Apple's offerings. Samsung does not provide the same quality hardware, at least not until the S6, or experience and support that Apple offers, and it is also seen as a far less 'premium' brand. So people aren't buying it.

And people shouldn't buy it. Samsung puts 1/10th the effort Apple does into its products. Look at their ape'd version of touch ID, or their Ape'd design of the vents on the S6 that they clearly stole from the iphone 6, or any other design detail besides the screen and you get the same thing: compromise. Apple doesn't compromise on that stuff, so people are willing to pay the premium.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That would be valid only if every single android smartphone sold was the same price as an iPhone. Or are you saying that Apple has to outsell every Android OEM combined in order to be considered a success?

This isn't a democracy where it's 1 vote per unit sold. It's a free market, where it's 1 vote per dollar of sales, and when you consider that Apple got 89% of the smartphone profits not so long ago, this meant that Apple earned 8 times everyone else combined!

As I have said, this just means that neither sales nor market share is in itself a meaningful metric of how successful a product is, though each does help to shed some light on the matter.

If you ask me, the real winners are Apple (because they get all the hardware profits) and Google (they get the market share and the advertising revenue). Remember, Google does not have to lose for Apple to win (and vice versa), as their business models are wholly different. The losers are the hardware vendors (like Samsung) who have to contend with increasing commoditisation of their products and ever diminishing profits.

That's my take at least. :)
yada yada yada....Apple Apologist say the same thing when presented with actual real data. The numbers speak for themselves. The numbers say all of the iPhone/IOS models sales do not come close to the Android sales.
Since Apple/iPhone is the only phone running IOS then it is a direct comparison to Android.
Apple/IOS is lagging so far behind it is not even close. People choose by spending their hard earned money on a phone. Worldwide people prefer Android smartphones over Apple/IOS phones.

Of course the next excuse apologist make is profit....bad analogy when the topic was SALES in this thread. So you are proud you are over paying? Doesn't make sense. The thread starter quoted SALES figures. Try to stay on point and not change the subject or focus just because you're losing.

----------

It's the truth. Windows phone are awesome but people don't get then because they aren't hip.
I have tried several Windows phones. It is evolving into a very nice mobile OS. But it also lags behind in some basic options other mobile OSes have. Like a simple thing like wallpaper. I have a great picture of my son and i. I want to make it my wallpaper. Now some of the tiles are transparent and I can see the wallpaper. Some are not and it screws the whole idea up. That is just one thing. Then the apps we use on IOS and Android do not work the same on WP8. To my that is the biggest issue with WP...apps. Not matter how much money MS throws at Devs to bring apps over to WP it has not worked.

----------

And people shouldn't buy it. Samsung puts 1/10th the effort Apple does into its products. Look at their ape'd version of touch ID, or their Ape'd design of the vents on the S6 that they clearly stole from the iphone 6, or any other design detail besides the screen and you get the same thing: compromise. Apple doesn't compromise on that stuff, so people are willing to pay the premium.
Now you are flat out wrong....... Samsung offer more options than the iPhone does. Look at the larger screens....Samsung did them before Apple did. Apple follows Android in sooo many things. Look at the design and R&D that went into the Note line. The S-Pen and stylus! But I am sure you would be praising those features if Apple offered them.
I have a iPhone 6+ and a Note 4 and S6......They all are great phones. They all offer different features. Finger print scanner on the S6 works just as good as touch ID on the 6+. Screen is better on the S6.
Oh and you do know that Samsung makes most of the parts in your iPhone?

----------

Go back and reread my post carefully and see if I really said that, or, did you perhaps, unwittingly(or maybe wittingly) apply a misinterpretation?
maybe YOU should read your own posts? When faced with data that shows Android outsells Apple/IOS. You always bring up profits into the mix. You always try to change the subject and focus on profits. Those are YOUR words. Every Time you bring profits into the discussion.

Sales lead to revenue which leads to profit. Sheer numbers are meaningless and don't tell the whole story, they do tell part of story however.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I wasn't drawing any conclusions one way or another about which phone is higher quality, or which phone looks better. The numbers just don't reflect that Apple will have to do anything to 'catch up'. Whether they are way behind, or at the same level is irrelevant because it appears that people don't want to buy the S6 any more than they wanted to buy the Galaxy S5, despite the S6 being an objectively far superior effort. The hardware specs just don't matter that much to people.

I think it is an indictment of the rapacious pricing that Samsung has released that basically parrots Apple's offerings. Samsung does not provide the same quality hardware, at least not until the S6, or experience and support that Apple offers, and it is also seen as a far less 'premium' brand. So people aren't buying it.

I guess samsung spending 15 billion dollars to build a fab to make 14nm chips is not enough effort huh

Building there own ram and nand memory is also zero effort.

Being over a full year a head of tsmc and getting qualcomm to secure snapdragon 820 to be built on that fab is also psst a joke.

Oh wait Apple is begging them to build a9 again to boot

Oh wait

/s

Ps We almost forgot how amazing the gs6 screen is and people somewhat forgot about it.

I will laugh my ass off when apple asks samsung for a super amoled display in the iphone

Last edited:

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Samsung recompiled the stock camera api and made there own and literally ***** on the stock android api.do you know how much work went into that? It's the reason there phones take better pictures then any other android phone.even take the Sonys latest with the same sensor (same hardware) and look how much better the samsung takes it's pictures.

They went from ground up to the kernel and made there own api to fit there hardware.

Android is holding back samsungs hardware.lollipops memory leak is on android not samsung and they have done everything they can with brute force hardware to make up for it.

They are almost there ready to go solo as I've noticed in the samsung galaxy store there is almost every single app and service I use from the playstore.

just imagine the gs6 running on dedicated software vs android

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So now sales are an indicator of quality?

Well the way Apple goes on about it they would certainly have you believe that it does.

But of course if we used that logic, then Rolls Royce make utterly terrible crap cars, as does Ferrari and Aston Martin and Lear Jets make rubbish planes etc etc etc.

But having played with the S6 I know it's of a very high quality which IMO is better than the iPhone, just.

----------

Samsung recompiled the stock camera api and made there own and literally ***** on the stock android api.do you know how much work went into that? It's the reason there phones take better pictures then any other android phone.even take the Sonys latest with the same sensor (same hardware) and look how much better the samsung takes it's pictures.

They went from ground up to the kernel and made there own api to fit there hardware.

Android is holding back samsungs hardware.lollipops memory leak is on android not samsung and they have done everything they can with brute force hardware to make up for it.

They are almost there ready to go solo as I've noticed in the samsung galaxy store there is almost every single app and service I use from the playstore.

just imagine the gs6 running on dedicated software vs android

Well the LG G4 would say otherwise.. as do Sony's Xperia phones if you use the manual mode, they can take just as good photos, some would argue slightly better, than the S6 camera.
This whole memory leak stuff is a moot point too, I have yet to see ANY evidence of it affecting my devices.

It's up to Samsung if it wants to go all out on Taizan but it will be a very brave move as many others have failed at going it alone.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well the way Apple goes on about it they would certainly have you believe that it does.

But of course if we used that logic, then Rolls Royce make utterly terrible crap cars, as does Ferrari and Aston Martin and Lear Jets make rubbish planes etc etc etc.

Well the LG G4 would say otherwise.. as do Sony's Xperia phones if you use the manual mode.

I think you have to be careful with the car analogies you mentioned. Those are very niche products and have the sales to match. The iPhone is the single best selling phone model in the world.

Well the LG G4 would say otherwise.. as do Sony's Xperia phones if you use the manual mode

I have the G4 on preorder and can't wait to try the camera.
But why aren't the Sony cameras better on the Xperia line? I mean are they comparable only if you use manual mode?

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013

But having played with the S6 I know it's of a very high quality which IMO is better than the iPhone, just.

----------

Well the LG G4 would say otherwise.. as do Sony's Xperia phones if you use the manual mode, they can take just as good photos, some would argue slightly better, than the S6 camera.
This whole memory leak stuff is a moot point too, I have yet to see ANY evidence of it affecting my devices.

It's up to Samsung if it wants to go all out on Taizan but it will be a very brave move as many others have failed at going it alone.

The lg in low light suffers long shutter speeds,I've read up to 3 seconds before it takes the shot and in low light adds yellow to the pictures.this is all from the software side.it also from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong)can't do real time hdr before taking the shot.

The gs6 sensor vs the same sensor on other phones has always out performed because of the software side of it.

And you also proved my point as to saying the sonys in manual mode take just as good pictures because there software is lacking to do it automatically like the gs6 does

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I think you have to be careful with the car analogies you mentioned. Those are very niche products and have the sales to match. The iPhone is the single best selling phone model in the world.

I have the G4 on preorder and can't wait to try the camera.
But why aren't the Sony cameras better on the Xperia line? I mean are they comparable only if you use manual mode?

I use the car analogy to make my point, sales mean NOTHING when it comes to quality, the iPhone may be the biggest single selling handset but Ford is the best selling car, now would you suggest the quality in their respect markets are comparable?

And as for the camera, that's one to ask Sony, MRU certainly seems to able to take some great manual shots. But there are strong rumours that the Z5 will have a completely new camera system.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I use the car analogy to make my point, sales mean NOTHING when it comes to quality, the iPhone may be the biggest single selling handset but Ford is the best selling car, now would you suggest the quality in their respect markets are comparable?

And as for the camera, that's one to ask Sony, MRU certainly seems to able to take some great manual shots. But there are strong rumours that the Z5 will have a completely new camera system.

MRU is a man of many skills! He can make any camera look great!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
The lg in low light suffers long shutter speeds,I've read up to 3 seconds before it takes the shot and in low light adds yellow to the pictures.this is all from the software side.it also from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong)can't do real time hdr before taking the shot.

The gs6 sensor vs the same sensor on other phones has always out performed because of the software side of it.

And you also proved my point as to saying the sonys in manual mode take just as good pictures because there software is lacking to do it automatically like the gs6 does

All I have read is praise for the LG camera and also a few reviews of it beating the S6.
No idea about real time HDR, but surely all that means is you see a different view on the screen before taking a shot?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Has anybody brought up the iOS vs Android marketshare argument yet showing how far behind the iPhone is to the entire Android operating system spanning all price brackets? That usually adds a contradictory slant to proceedings and a bit of comedy for good measure.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wonder how he does that. XD
He chooses the perfect lighting.... great landscapes...just the right processing. He also obviously has a great eye. Then his little dogs are just too cute!

----------

Has anybody brought up the iOS vs Android marketshare argument yet showing how far behind the iPhone is to the entire Android operating system spanning all price brackets? That usually adds a contradictory slant to proceedings and a bit of comedy for good measure.
Of course we did! Look at the thread starters original comment.

I hear a lot of people talking about the S6 hardware being a cut above the iphone 6 and that Apple have to catch up It doesn't appear that the sales numbers are reflecting this..

So here are the overall numbers since you brought them into question again. You're welcome! :p

Just against Samsung.....

Bm4vYacl.png

Now platform against platform

QvL2hHRl.png

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I purchased the S6 on day one. I'm enjoying it, and would not trade it for an iPhone 6 or 6+.

Samsung's sales figures have no impact on my enjoying the S6. The two things are not remotely related.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I purchased the S6 on day one. I'm enjoying it, and would not trade it for an iPhone 6 or 6+.

Samsung's sales figures have no impact on my enjoying the S6. The two things are not remotely related.

I think this sums it up for most people. I bought the iPhone 6 on launch and right now I wouldn't swap because I'm enjoying the iPhone. We all have different preferences and sales figures mean nothing to us. Let the corporations worry about sales and let consumers enjoy what they like. There is no doubt the S6 and iP6 are brilliant smartphones and let's face it they do the job perfectly. The choice is out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.