The Science of Dreams/Shared Dreams?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What do you all think of the movie called Inception? I find it to be an entertaining movie with some intriguing concepts of shared, stable, controlled dreams. I am wondering if the premise of this movie has any realistic basis, not so much focused on the idea of "inception" planting an idea into someone's dream, but just the ability to 1)experience a stable dream where you can make choices and 2)share a dream. Have you done either one? Frankly, I find the premise unrealistic and the best approach is just go with the flow and enjoy the adventure and entertainment values presented.

[​IMG]

Here are some points:
    1. In the movie what facilitates a shared dream? I believe it is the machine they are all hooked up to, but they don't say much about it. The architect in the movie creates a dream space, they even show drawings. Is the machine they they are hooked up to while dreaming loading the dreamscape into their minds or is it controlled by the mind of the "architect"?
    2. How could you enter someone elses dream, where their dream controls the setting without your mind being able to change things?
    3. Why would the target's brain be the only one injecting projections into the dream space? In the movie, Cobb had a real problem with a projection of his wife interfering in the shared dreams, but why would all the people on the street be projects from just the target's mind?
    4. In a dreamscape devoid of normal physics, why would an injury be debilitating? Why would you need to breath air, when under water? Why would you age?
    5. Are there any known instances of having a dream within a dream?
    6. In a dream can you make choices, much less rational choices? Have you ever made a choice in a dream?

Links:
    *Inception, Peering Into The Science of Dreams.
    *Shared Dreaming 101- honestly I'm not sure if this is ment to legit.
    *Lucid Dreaming.

Regarding dreams I can attest that I have had full blown, full color, action dreams that seem real, look real, but it is like watching a movie. I don't remember making any real choices. I just react and events unfold. I'll add that when my dreams become uncomfortable, I have no problem waking myself up. I have died in dreams and I have defied death in dreams. In both cases the events were experience without emotion. :)

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

It might be interesting to see how much you can consciously affect your dreaming.

So, try for example, thinking about how you are going to control your dream before going to sleep, every night, for a while.

When I was much younger I used to get nightmares so I would tell myself "don't dream" and somehow that seemingly affected my ability to remember dreams after weeks/months - I don't remember much of my dreams, at all, now. I'm not sure if that is scientific or not but it definitely happened to me.. I'd be curious if you can do the same thing with some of the "Inception" ideas.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

They took a concept and ran with it. The most questionable premise upon which the entire movie is predicated are shared dreams. The technology to achieve this is not describe and for a good reason I think. :)

One thing I can say is that while I've had very clear visual dreams, they've never had the sense of reality that reality has including peripheral vision. Isn't that interesting? However lucid dreaming is not astounding by any means. It only means you can realize even at a low level that you are dreaming. I would describe myself as a low level lucid dreamer in that when my dreams become to uncomfortable I can decide to wake up. On the other end of the spectrum are people who can make choices to change their dreams or make choices in dreams to change events. This is definitely not where I am at.

Lucid Dreaming FAQ

4. Huntn, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Actually, step one, I've been telling myself to remember my dreams. The process is upon awaking, lay there for a few minutes and concentrate on what you can remember before you launch into the days activities. Remembering dreams can be elusive.

I'm surprised there is not more interest in the discussion of the mechanics of dreaming here at MacRumors. I guess I need to find a good "dream" discussion forum. Anyone know of one? :)

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

There is a lot of crappy and useless "information" around about dreaming. Much of it is based on folklore, or the long discredited Freudian theory of dreams...symbols, unconscious meanings, etc.

There is research going on, but none of it has sufficient research and replication to be definitive in any way.

The two things that are well established:

1) We all dream, whether we remember them or not.

2) Dream deprivation (accomplished in a sleep lab by waking the person as soon as they enter REM stage) is harmful. People deprived of the opportunity to dream over some period of time experience hallucinations and other negative effects.

So, we all dream, and we all need to dream. Much beyond that is either old, scientifically unsupported theory, or new, possibly meaningful theories, but with insufficient research to be of solid scientific value...yet:D.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for replying! :) My main interesting is not so much the symbology of dreams, but the mechanics of dreams and I am very intrigued by this idea of lucid dreaming, having some level of control and choice in your dreams. I am not troubled by bad dreams. In fact they are a good source of adventure as short lived as they are. But, in my standard dream, I am a puppet to the whims of my subconscious. Being able to exert some control in a dream would be pretty cool (I think). This is the discussion I'm looking for. :)

7. Shrink, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You might try Googling "controlling my dreams", although I am very skeptical about the scientific validity of why you might find. You'll likely find o lot of stuff of questionable scientific validity.

We won't even get into the discussion of the validity of the concept of the "unconscious". Freud's version, the basis of the concept, is ca-ca.:p:D

As far as symbology goes, more unscientific ca-ca.:D

But have fun "playing" with your dreams, or just enjoying them as they are.:)

Edit: BTWm other movies with this theme: "Dreamscape" and "Cell". Not great art, but if you like the subject...

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thank you. :)

9. TaterToT macrumors 6502

I am able to lucid dream and have been able to for a while. If you Google how to do it it's quite easy, though it does take a bit of time to train yourself to do it.

10. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

As someone else said, there is something known as lucid dreaming in which you have a degree of control over what happens in your dreams. i for one, don't even remember 95% of my dreams. i don't know why. those that i do remember somehow seem to resemble events in reality very closely. what i mean is deja vu moments. quite strange indeed.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I think I've found some at Lucidity.com. My guess is it is just a passing fancy, however, I've had dreams I really enjoy. I think it would be nice to have some level of control in them, but then again, I could be mistaken.

My dreams have never reached the level of reality that I associate with conscious reality although they seem real enough that I wake myself up from them when they become uncomfortable. My impression is the dreaming mind does not spend much time questioning the "reality" of a dream, even with fantastical settings and events.

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Lucid dreaming is a fun thing to play with. I used to do it sometimes; I'd go to sleep then make sure I wake up after I've had one REM cycle then stay completely still in my bed so my body thinks I'm sleeping and I go into sleep paralysis (your body makes you move about in bed to check if you're awake, staying still tricks it, awesome fact right there), then I'd just imagine my "dream scene" and I'd go into the dream in control.

Before doing any of this, start a dream journal and make sure you keep it updated. This improves your dream recall - no point having awesome dreams you control if you can't remember 'em :p

I really envy people who naturally have lucid dreams :(

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

Lucid dreaming is real.

Dreaming is just your brain trying to make sense of random neuron firing.

I think eventually we could have "shared dreams" as technology advances.

I know for a fact I've had a dream within a dream, and it was pretty scary/intense. I thought I woke up but didn't.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Wow. So you fell asleep in this dream for a second dream or just thought you had woken up but had not?

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

That's called a false awakening, very common phenomenon.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've only ever controlled a dream a couple of times. Thing is I'm always aware of the dream and that it isn't real. Usually I just go along with the dream itself but if it starts going a bit scary, I'll take over. The best one I had was being chased by a Terminator style robot, in the end I got fed up with running and actually said "that's enough!". Suddenly everything disbanded like I was watching the dream through a camera, like it was a film, and the whole cast and production team started walking around.

Thanks for those links OP, I'll have a browse through them on the bus later :).

I'd love to bring people into my dreams and explore others. I bet it'd be a great way to expand our understanding of others, see what their fears and hopes are.

Recently I watched the film Paprika, which Nolan cites as an inspiration for Inception. Wonderful, magical film, probably one of my fave ever.

17. eric/ Guest

eric/

Fell asleep. It was pretty crazy

18. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Happens to me as well sometimes. You'll be in the midst of a freaky dream and then "wake up". Thinking it's all over and done with you begin to relax only to have something bad happen again, but this time you panic thinking its real (because you thought you woke up).

19. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

sometimes, i take little 30 minute naps and have the strangest dreams.Yesterday, i had the odd dream of me and a couple of the girls who live on my dorm floor at some conference with the guy at the podium saying stuff in different languages and the girls started hysterically laughing. that has to be one of the most perplexing dreams i've ever had.I was perplexed while still in the dream.

20. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Yeah, I have my "strangest" dreams by far while napping, and I typically do remember my long-term sleep dreams (for comparison's sake). Not sure why, of course.