The secret behind Caps-Lock?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skyldig, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Skyldig macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm currently very excited about the 'maybe'-redesign of the MB and the MPB this summer. However, while i was looking at a lot of the mockups, there is one question that has caught my attention:

"What's up with the caps-lock-key?"

I may be way out here, but how come that this function has it's own key, when so many other great features are being stuffed away as secondary (cmd+anykey)? Does anyone actually use it on a daily basis?

I have never in my life used the button myself, and i have also yet to see someone else use it. I have however, been annoyed by it like a million times, when i accidentally push it, and continue writing in caps. Or the classic, where you keep typing your password wrong, and are just about to throw the computer out the window, when you notice the little green light in the left side of the keyboard.

The button - i guess - was first introduced as a form of text-highlight. When writing on a good old typewriter, there was no such things as fontsize, fontstyle or even something as simple as underline or bold. I can see the use for highligting titles and such with caps lock in that case.

But now, with all the other methods availeble, why do we need it?
    There are so many good thing to do with a key. I could be split be the middel and made into a copy and a paste button. It could be made into a dedicated '@'-key. So many good things could be done.

So, what are peoples thoughts on this? Do anyone actually use it, or are people annoyed by it way to often like me? Am I just clueless, and do people use it in secret whenever i look away or does it have some hidden qualities i don't know about?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You might not believe this, but a friend of mine in college used the Caps Lock key for every capital letter he ever had to type—he only touched Shift for symbols. Bizarre, right? The new "time-delay/anti-accidental Caps" feature on Mac keyboards would drive him batty I'd imagine.

As for the password field thing, OS X does put in an "up arrow in a gray box" symbol in a password field if you have your Caps Lock on.

BESIDES, EVERYONE KNOWS THAT CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! :cool:

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

HOW ELSE WOULD NOOBS UNWITTINGLY BE ABLE TO PISS PEOPLE OFF?

Skyldig you bring up a very good point. I've never thought of this before, who the hell needs Caps Lock??? (or num-lock for that matter). I never use it, heck I avoid that key like the plague. It'd be a good spot for Play/Pause, or perhaps a back browser button (instead of hitting the delete key).

4. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

Perhaps it's just me that uses the caps lock key a lot. There are occasions when I do need to type a block of text ALL UPPERCASE and I'd be screwed without the CL key. :)

5. 3247 macrumors regular

A computer is not a typewriter. If you want to write all-caps text, it's better to write it normally and then apply the all-caps style to it.

However, the caps lock key would be good to switch keyboard layouts…

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Most useless key ever. It does more harm than good.

7. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

You know you can re-map the key, right? Go to keyboard - modifier keys in Sys Prefs. Mine is now a control key.

Of course, you'll still have to look at the "caps lock" label on the key.

8. Skyldig thread starter macrumors regular

I know its vey usefull TO PISS PEOPLE OFF AND STUFF!

But how about just making it a cmd+"whatever" to enable Caps-lock. Then the few who use it on rare occasions can still do it.

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I think it's more a traction thing than anything else. It's the kind of thing that will probably be there for ages, simply due to resistance to change.

10. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I use caps lock all the time, I was taught to use it at an early age when computers started to become popular. Haven't really changed the way I type and have no intension of doing so, APPLE KEEP THE CAPS LOCK KEY!

11. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

CAPS LOCK IS RUBBISH, SHIFT IS THE WAY FORWARD!

Lol, I agree, I use shift even when I can use CAPS LOCK, but I'd rather not re-map the key, since then it'd be doing a different function than what it says and I'm really OCD about stuff like that.

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

13. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

My wife does exactly the same thing. It drives me crazy, but if it works for her, so it's not my place to interfere.

14. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

EVEN WHEN I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.... i still hold down the shift button.

Down with caps lock!

15. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I do this too. In fact I'm doing it right now! :p Using shift feels much more awkward to me. . and I like the green light. :cool:

16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I would be much happier with an "every other key is a hyphen" key. That way, when I'm S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G something out, it wouldn't take nearly as long.

17. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I don't even know what num lock does. Nor have I ever needed to press caps lock. It should go.

18. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I do the same thing, rarely making use of the shift key. It's not all that strange. I never formally learned to type, so it just made more sense to me to discreetly presses caps on, the letter, and then caps off instead of trying to coordinate my pinky finger holding down one button at the same time as pushing down the correct letter. i CAN't stand the new mAC caps lock keys.

19. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I certainly wouldn't miss it. I was actually happy when I switched to Mac and found that my new keyboard didn't have numlock but had a better key instead. Clear is infinitely more useful.

I'd love to see the backspace delete get moved to caps lock. It's too far away right now. The caps lock position would be perfect. Or have it replaced by yet another shift/option/command key. Or put "fn" there for the new aluminum keyboards instead of where Help was.

20. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

By the way, if you re-map the caps lock is there any way of doing a caps lock without changing the key again?

21. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Heh, if you're looking for that as a dedicated key, check out how Japan manufacturers their keyboards!

[​IMG]

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

23. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

It's not hurting anyone (you can re-map), and some people do use it, so there is no reason to remove it.

NUM LOCK enables/disables the number pad.

24. razyorv macrumors member

Let's put that into mac perspective:

[​IMG]

25. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

haha look how small spacebar, shift and delete/backspace keys are! does anyone know what the special keys are to the right and left of spacebar are? also on the Japanse MBP keyboard why dont they make the space bar bigger to fill up the space to the left of the left arrow key?! :confused: