The Shaved Head Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrmjenkins, May 19, 2010.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

So, as I've been getting older, my hairline has been ever so slightly receding. My wife and I both agree that going shaved is much more preferable to comb-overs or any other hair-style when the hairline is significantly back from the younger years. I'm also looking forward to it being cheaper and being one less thing to worry about in prep for the day. Not sure when it will happen (could be several years out), but I know it's coming.

So, those of you who do shave your head, how often do you do it? Do you use a razor that you'd use on your face? Do you moisturize? Etc.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've been shaving my head since I was 26. I use a regular ol' bic disposable razor in the shower. The skin on your scalp is very tough, so you shouldn't cut yourself but maybe once a year or something. I shave it twice a week. Once you do this, you'll wonder why you waited so long. I never want hair again.

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I started buzzing my head when I was a Sophomore in college--before I started to recede.

Ever since then, my hairline has been making a run for it. I continue to buzz it. While my receding hairline is still very present when buzzed. The buzzed look makes it appear less severe.

I would look ridiculous with a completely shaved head b/c I have quite a small head--

have you ever thought about being like me and just buzzing it really short?:D

4. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I do/have done short buzzes as part of my routine, however I do tend to wait too long in between doing it (partly because I'm cheap). I suppose there's nothing stopping me from getting an electric razor to buzz it myself, but I imagine I'd go to shaving anyway as I wouldn't want the hairline to show at some point.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I buzz mine short - a '1' on whatever that scale is. I do it about once per week. I started losing my hair in my early 20s.

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

so i am guessing that isnt you in your avatar?

concerning baldness..etc...

the current look is definitely the jason stathem look, at least in Miami beach. the jason stathem look is basically buzz cut and muscles. (so the muscles are part of the hair cut).

Its tough being completely bald down here..(sun burn).

of course many of the europeans seemingly never have this hair issue. Which is weird. Many italians from italy have no hair problems, but italian americans often have baldness problems. so which country is too blame for passing on all of these bald heads?

7. unid macrumors regular

I shave my head every month or so, I get a more dramatic feeling of starting afresh that way. I'm receding but it still counts as a head of hair I think. I blame too many crazy hairstyles in my yoof.

Edit: just buzzed off

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I usually buzz and grow out, buzz and grow out. Might actually buzz today. Only shaved it with a razor once when I was at school at a party. Was pretty comfortable and rather liked it. Starting to recede a bit now so it's inevitable that a short buzz is in my future.

That first day after a buzz when your head feels so light and free is amazing. Like swimming after taking off flippers :).

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

10. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

My Avatar is William Shatner as Denny Crane from Boston Legal dressed in a disguise.

I would have to work on the muscles part--but have got the buzz cut part down.

I don't mind having a receding hairline, but am nervous about going bald on top.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Just recently I got my hair buzzed to a number 5 for the first time in my life. I'd always had medium to longish hair. I have to say I like it a lot and its great in warm weather. I just wash my hair and go now--might get it even shorter next time.

12. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

13. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Most definitely. On occasion my occiput does poorly out of the deal though :D!

Trying to look in a mirror and move the shaver in the right orientation is hilarious.

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I always figured if I started going bald I would get the Picard haircut.

picard-headesk.jpg

But I doubt I will given that my hair type is like my Grandfathers which kept it's color into his 70's and remained thick.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Same with me. Like the OP, I vowed never to do anything crazy to hid my thinning or graying hair.

Except my hair isn't thinning, and it's not very gray for a guy my age.

I've playfully threatened to my wife that I'd shave my head, but I really only say it to see her reaction (she wouldn't like it). But knock on wood, I don't really have to worry about it yet. :)

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I shave mine down about once every 2 or 3 weeks at this point. I won't pay anyone to do it (it's the easiest cut to do so I don't need anyone with any particular level of skill or anything) my Mom has clippers at her place so I usually use hers when I visit.

I started last year when I was volunteering at a Cancer Camp for kids, I've been doing it ever since. I think it suits me better than the way I was wearing my hair before.

And yes, my hairline is receding slightly.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

19. Surely Guest

Surely

Not me..... I'm too scared that I'd F it up and I hate wearing hats.

I usually get a #2 for the sides and back, a #4 on top, and have it blended together.

Sometimes I get a #3 on top, but my wife hates it.

I love it when it's short because I'm more aerodynamic.

20. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Yep. Two or three a week. Smooth as a baby's butt.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I always shave before I give ...

Wait, I think a shaved head is nice on some men.

22. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I started with a Number One for a good few years and then to a Ground Zero. Now days, I shave my head with an electric razor every two to three days. I guess I'm like a bearded buddha. :D

KGB

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I like them, my girlfriend has an undercut so it's half way there :D

24. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

me too

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ha..

I have been buzzing my hair since high school. While I still have a full head of hair with no receding hair line, I just like how easy it is to take care of... Don't know if I will completely shaved yet thou... still love having some hair.