The Shoe Thread

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Is there no shoe thread yet? Well, I've decided to make one: I have not been on MacRumors in a while, as my hobbies and interests have changed drastically—more or less in the last couple years. I figured I'd return, for the sake of old times, and start a thread about shoes! The main focus is on 'dress' shoes, but feel free to post as you wish.

My current shoe rotation:
1. Allen Edmonds McAllister in walnut.
2. Allen Edmonds 5th Avenue in oxblood.
3. Florsheim Imperial in a tan color (vintage — from either 1975 or 1985).
(Extras: beater pair of Florsheim Imperials c1977/1987; vintage Cole Haan Italian cap-toe oxfords in dark brown.

Pictures soon...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Why confine the thread to "gentlemen"?

Anyway, almost all of my shoes are by Church's, and they are handmade; I have several pairs, formal (in black, both laced and monk-strap), and Church's standard suede shoes, (mostly brown but also in black and navy) and Church's suede desert boots (in blue, and camel).

I used to have a few pairs by Barker's, but prefer Church's.

And I have one pair of formal black shoes by Moreschi.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is there no shoe thread yet? Well, I've decided to make one: I have not been on MacRumors in a while, as my hobbies and interests have changed drastically—more or less in the last couple years. I figured I'd return, for the sake of old times, and start a thread about shoes! The main focus is on 'dress' shoes, but feel free to post as you wish.

My current shoe rotation:
1. Allen Edmonds McAllister in walnut.
2. Allen Edmonds 5th Avenue in oxblood.
3. Florsheim Imperial in a tan color (vintage — from either 1975 or 1985).
(Extras: beater pair of Florsheim Imperials c1977/1987; vintage Cole Haan Italian cap-toe oxfords in dark brown.

Pictures soon...
This is really not an adversarial post. :)
May I ask how old you are and what part of the world you live in? No, not asked as a launch pad for an attack, just for my reference. :D

I think too you should update the thread title to make it gender neutral, even if your main interest is men’s shoes. Gentleman seems to be an antiquated term.

Ok shoes, I go for the least expensive, yet well made shoes. These days retired, I spend so little time at what I’d describe as formal affairs, I spend all of my time wearing inexpensive loafers or athletic shoes. These might not be considered Gentlemen’s shoes. ;) I have several leather shoes relegated to the closet for the next international trip or funeral I attend. :)

2CB8F77D-4F7A-4F65-8929-0C1B69287BBE.jpeg

8717B6EE-EBC8-4DC1-B843-EAD54800EBC3.jpeg
This is called a running shoe, but very light weight, imo it does not have the structure and support to be a real running shoe. I only use it as a casual walk about shoe, purchased in 2018 and I’m impressed at how well it has held up.

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
Nothing wrong with the term "Gentlemen".
The world can use more good Gentlemen!! ;)

I like my Fifth Ave AE's in Bourbon.
Have a few more pair of AE's-but can't remember the style name?
I have a couple of pair of Brooks Brother shoes that were made in England-Fine shoes-By Alfred Sargeant I belive and one other english maker.
- - Post merged: - -

Anyway, almost all of my shoes are by Church's, and they are handmade; I have several pairs, formal (in black, both laced and monk-strap), and Church's standard suede shoes, (mostly brown but also in black and navy) and Church's suede desert boots (in blue, and camel).

Church's are excellent shoes!!
They're Bootmaker for the Kings aren't they?? :)

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster

Figured the thread could be focused on menswear; however, if women would like to share as well, there's no problem with that.

Church's look to be some very fine shoes. Do you wear these regularly?

Nothing wrong with the term "Gentlemen".
The world can use more good Gentlemen!! ;)

I like my Fifth Ave AE's in Bourbon.
Have a few more pair of AE's-but can't remember the style name?
I have a couple of pair of Brooks Brother shoes that were made in England-Fine shoes-By Alfred Sargeant I belive and one other english maker.

Church's are excellent shoes!!
They're Bootmaker for the Kings aren't they?? :)
My 5th Aves are growing on me. I ordered mine with a Dainite sole, even though I personally prefer leather: my plan is to wear them regularly, so I figured I'd just get a sole that'll last a considerably long time. AE house-leather soles are surprisingly soft. Maybe when I have more disposable income (such as for re-crafting services), I'll switch back to leather soles.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
This is really not an adversarial post. :)
May I ask how old you are and what part of the world you live in? No, not asked as a launch pad for an attack, just for my reference. :D

I think too you should update the thread title to make it gender neutral, even if your main interest is men’s shoes. Gentleman seems to be an antiquated term.

Ok shoes, I go for the least expensive, yet well made shoes. These days retired, I spend so little time at what I’d describe as formal affairs, I spend all of my time wearing inexpensive loafers or athletic shoes. These might not be considered Gentlemen’s shoes. ;) I have several leather shoes relegated to the closet for the next international trip or funeral I attend. :)

View attachment 893027

View attachment 893029
This is called a running shoe, but very light weight, imo it does not have the structure and support to be a real running shoe. I only use it as a casual walk about shoe, purchased in 2018 and I’m impressed at how well it has held up.

I mean no offense by using the term. I suppose I was suggesting that users post their beloved shoes—especially their oxfords and derbies. I don't use the term "dress shoe," because it was never intended for such shoes to be strictly meant for dressy occasions. A black oxford has been a "dress" shoe for decades upon decades, but a brown wingtip with brogues is technically a casual shoe.

I'm a young adult, sir; I'm from the U.S. My shoe rotation is a bit atypical of someone my age. I've recently taken an interest in classic menswear, so that's from where it stems. However, aside from that, I've realized that my oxfords and derbies are more comfortable and supportive than any previous footwear I had worn: my ankles no longer ache after a day of school. Granted, I still own a good set of running shoes: a pair Asics that I purchased on sale. I would agree with the notion that just about everyone should own at least one good pair of running shoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: user_xyz and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I mean no offense by using the term. I suppose I was hinting that users post their beloved shoes—especially their oxfords and derbies. I don't use the term "dress shoe," because it was never intended for such shoes to be strictly meant for dressy occasions. A black oxford has been a "dress" shoe for decades upon decades, but a brown wingtip with brogues is technically a casual shoe.

I'm a young adult, sir; I'm from the U.S. My shoe rotation is a bit atypical of someone my age. I've recently taken an interest in classic menswear, so that's from where it stems. However, aside from that, I've realized that my oxfords and derbies are more comfortable and supportive than any previous footwear I had worn: my ankles no longer ache after a day of school. I still own a good set of running shoes, though: a pair Asics that I purchased on sale. Everyone who is inclined to run or do athletics should certainly own at least one great pair of running shoes.
I’m not offended. :)

Reactions: PowerMac G4 MDD

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Figured the thread could be focused on menswear; however, if women would like to share as well, there's no problem with that.

Church's look to be some very fine shoes. Do you wear these regularly?
Actually, I wear hardly anything but Church's shoes.

The suede ones - in shoe styles, (three pairs of Church's brown shoes, two laced, one a monk-strap, one of navy, and one black, both laced) - for casual and semi-formal wear, two pairs of uede desert boots (navy and camel coloured) for casual wear, plus two pairs of Church's black leather shoes - one laced, one monk-strap - for formal wear. And one black pair of Moreschi's fr formal wear.

As I am female, theses are not the standard shoes that Church's actually make; I order them, and - through an authorised dealer - they are handmade for me in Italy (based on styles available for men), a process that takes many months and no small outlay.

However, the shoes last for years, and years and years - some of mine are between five and ten years old, and are exceptionally well made, and, once broken in, are very comfortable; I can get them re-lined and resoled every few years, (sent off to Italy, and again, a process that can take months), which will give me a good few more years' wear.

Last edited: