Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
As you could probably guess by my avatar, I love the Simpsons. I practically grew up on that show. I haven't watched it on TV for a long time, since the 10th season I think, I mostly watch the DVDs of the earlier seasons now, but when I saw the Simpsons Movie over the summer I thought I'd start watching again. It's just not as funny as the episodes I grew up with. My dad and I would crack up every episode, but with the new ones, we're lucky if it makes us crack a smile.

What happened to the great show? Do you think it's run it's course?

MacHipster

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago/London/Sydney
For me, the first few seasons were the best because the humor was more grounded in reality. It was the everyday events that were funny. For example, the first episode with Abe had the kids going to visit him in the nursing home. When they entered, all the old folks thought they were their grandkids. It's hilarious, because it's true. Now it's just a formula. I still watch it, but it's not as smart as when Conan O'Brien was writing. Also, I like the animation more in the first few seasons.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I've got season 1-7 and I think they're pretty good. I dont know about season 8-1x but of the few 1x episodes i've watched you can see that they're running out of ideas.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I love The Simpsons too. Have to get my two-a-day fix. Oddly, I don't really like the early episodes. It didn't get funny 'til about '94, IMHO. I think the peak of the show was around '01, because I can watch episodes from that time over and over and they still make me laugh. The new ones are pretty good, tonights wasn't exactly the greatest, but these days it's more of a hit and miss thing for them.

MacNut said:
I think we have a few Simpsons threads kicking around here.

Yep, including mine.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I recorded one of the newer series, since I gave up on it oh-so many years ago. Some episodes are great but none of them make me laugh. I don't think the Simpsons ever did for me. It's been an entertaining show and Sky's 6-7pm showing was a pillar in our house.

Course it doesn't help that Futurama and Family Guy are simply better. And I don't watch that many cartoons any more :)

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
I still think that inter-dimensional toaster episode is the best thing ever.
No doubt.

I love(d) the Simpsons. I grew up on that show, too. I hadn't noticed much of difference how funny it got or didn't get. In fact, I like the newer ones a bit more, than the really old ones.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I started watching The Simpsons while they were still on the Tracy Ullman Show - IMHO, there's been a definite decline in the writing (Conan O'Brian used to write for them, amongst others), and some of the talent is gone (no more Phil Hartman).

But to me, some of the other problems seem to be that Matt Groening outsourced the entire show to Korea and doesn't have a personal hand in the episodes like he used to; and, that in fact The Simpsons have "mainstreamed" in a way that they weren't when the show first started.

This summer's movie did leave me pining for the "good old days" and to me, almost recaptured a lot of what made me laugh in earlier seasons. We'll see if the sequel can keep up this particular momentum - maybe TV isn't really the best format for the show anymore.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
There are still a few good laughs here and there, but it's getting harder and harder to find new episodes that are solid from start to finish.

Since the writer's strike apparently doesn't affect animated shows, maybe The Simpsons team can get a temporary infusion of fresh blood.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Family Guy Happened. I'm guessing the writers felt the need to raise the bar, but in the process killing the show.

Family Guy sucks. It really should just get pulled again, but it never will.

The show hasn't changed; you just got more mature. :p

I dont think its actually gotten thatmuch worse. I think there style is different, and yes i love the old episodes way more, but i do like the new ones. They have more of a subtle humor, and i will find myself laughing while my friends (family guy lovers) just look stupidly at me.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
What happened to the great show? Do you think it's run it's course?
I think the writers began to move away from the classic plots that worked after 2000 (I know some say '99, but I think 2000 was when I began to notice a drop off in quality).

For example, one of my favorite episodes is the one making fun of Prohibition. That episode was funny because it mimicked reality very well. Another good one was the X-files one which had Scully and Moulder guest star. Those episodes had good plots, good lines, and genuine character motives/drives. Now it seems as if the characters are driven by random goals. That's not writing, that's just garbage.

The only Simpsons episodes I bother to watch now are the Halloween ones, because they parody some good stuff. Other than that, I like South Park.

i still think futurama was much, much better than the simpsons.

Here, here. Futurama was a great show. However, Cartoon Network is airing a few specials this month and next month, so we'll get at least one last hurrah.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Here, here. Futurama was a great show. However, Cartoon Network is airing a few specials this month and next month, so we'll get at least one last hurrah.

Futurama is coming back everyone. Sometime in 2008, i do rejoice! I loved Futurama, still one of my favorite shows (up there with simpsons, south park, king of the hill)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Futurama is coming back everyone. Sometime in 2008, i do rejoice! I loved Futurama, still one of my favorite shows (up there with simpsons, south park, king of the hill)

Is it coming back for good, or is it just a temporary deal? I thought it was just a special. If it's coming back for good, well, I'm going to wet myself!:p

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Is it coming back for good, or is it just a temporary deal? I thought it was just a special. If it's coming back for good, well, I'm going to wet myself!:p

My idea was that it was coming back for a season, and if it did well, they would bring it back from the dead (just like family guy) !! SO EVERYONE WATCH WHENEVER IT COMES!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.