The Sopranos: The Final Episodes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IJ Reilly, Apr 8, 2007.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The beginning of the end of the Sopranos saga starts tonight. The writers of this series have a incredible number of possible endings available. These are just some of the possibilities:

• Tony gets hit.
    • Tony is arrested.
    • Carmella finally gets over her life of denial, and leaves Tony once and for all.
    • A.J. takes up where his father left off.
    • Some of Tony's captains don't make it to the end of the series. If not, then who and why?

Which do you think is the most likely? Any others?

2. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Hmm, I'll have to start watching at US pace now:)

3. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Or it could also be a giant dream sequence (season 1 thru 6 were dreams)

That would really piss me off if it went down like that but I wouldn't put it past David Chase to try to do some sort of think and ponder M. Night Shamalyan style mind *****.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've heard the dream theory. It really would not make much sense IMO. For one thing, it would turn the entire series into something more like science fiction, instead of the gritty reality thing it's been for the last six years. My sense is that the main characters, or most of them (including Tony), will survive the series end. They are not going to want to give up the potential for a making a Sopranos movie at some point.

My guesses for end plot elements: Tony ends up in jail, or at least arrested. Carmella learns the truth about Adriana, and leaves Tony. A.J. doesn't seem headed for a life of crime, but he isn't going anywhere else either. Of the captains most like to get hit, I'd go with Paulie.

So little interest in the final episodes of The Sopranos? I'm shocked.

5. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

I'm about 30 Mins through, and it's very good. A very good Monopoly game as well:D

Another thing, does HBO not have any ads? I usually watch at a Uk pace, so I wouldnt know.

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I can't stand AJ, so I'd love to see this happen:

The FBI finally steps up its efforts to bring Tony down, but Tony catches wind from a secret informant within the bureau. He begins shifting things around, covering his tracks better than ever. Unfortunately, Christopher begins to doubt Tony's abilities to lead the family, as his focus begins to drift toward his actual family. AJ witnesses a nasty confrontation between Christopher and Tony at the Bada Bing, and as soon as Tony leaves, AJ busts in (gun in hand, in a drug fueled rage) ready to take down Christopher in defense of his father. After a very verbal arguement, AJ shots Christopher, killing him. Suddenly, as AJ is still standing over Christopher with gun still in hand, the FBI raids the Bada Bing, arresting AJ for Christopher's murder. As Tony begins to realize there is no way to get AJ out of this one, we see the FBI piecing their case together, only to discover that Tony has setup Christopher as the fall guy for the entire organization. With no one willing to testify against Tony, and everyone sticking together saying Christopher is the guilty one, Tony gets away once again.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I have a hunch that Furio is going to make a reappearance, unless events in Season 6 — which I haven't yet seen — rule that out.

Or maybe the Russian that disappeared in the Pine Barrens... :D

And yes, Paulie is toast. Just been watching Season 5 on DVD again this weekend and his arc doesn't look promising at all.

Anyway, I had better avoid this thread if I don't want things spoilt.

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nothing so far in Season Six rules out a reappearance by Furio (and I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying so), but I can't see how they'd work it into the plot. I do like the idea of that Russian showing up again. He's the only hit who got away, due mainly to Paulie's vanity and stupidity. Some poetic justice would fit the series' themes.

Fundamentally A.J. is a coward. He inherited his father's egotism, and his ability to lie with a straight face -- but not his nerve or insight. He's just the pathetic loser son of the "great man" -- even more so than Little Carmine. I think that's one of the subtexts of the series, that this tradition of inherited leadership in the mob doesn't work anymore. Tony is the last of his breed, which is why I think he could end up victorious in the end, but isolated and without family or anyone else he can trust.

9. stillwater macrumors regular

I wonder what Tony and Carmella will come home to after their weekend in the country?

I can see AJ's party getting out of control, resulting in Tony pulling into the driveway only to find the house reduced to a pile of smoldering ashes.

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Prediction: A.J.'s party gets him thrown out of the house, once and for all, which is only the beginning of the end for Tony's household. We have to know Meadow will not come back from California. I would not be surprised if she and Fin get married without telling anybody at home. Instead of selling it, Carmella might end up living in the spec house she built.

11. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I know that the "dream sequence" concept may be a little far fetched but I have come to expect so much from the show (with the exception of Season 6 - but I keep telling myself that is just Part 1) that death or jail is just a too obvious of an ending that will leave a lot of questions unanswered regarding the rest of the family.

I find it slightly odd that the first scene in the new episode references back to a previous event from another view point (sorry if you don't get the reference but I don't want to be a spoiler). But if the dream sequence is too far fetched, I wouldn't be surprised if the series was wrapped up as a "life flashing before the eyes" type recollection of his past.

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think the Sopranos has used any far-fetched plot elements thus far. The dreams have been expressions of Tony's (and sometimes Carmella's) subconscious anxieties, which is quite valid and realistic.

I've watched the series through completely at least twice (we have the DVDs for seasons 1-5). The theme underlying Tony's success as a boss is his modeling himself after great military leaders (which is why he's such a big fan of the History Channel). He's got an amazing ability to manipulate people and events to his advantage. He's also self-centered, to the point of paranoia. His ego and paranoid instincts are his greatest assets in terms of staying ahead of everybody else, but it has also poisoned his relationships with his family, in increments, over time. In keeping with this theme, I think Tony will be forced to chose between winning another battle for control, and his family. But I think he's already too late to save his family relationships, though he probably doesn't know it yet. So the poetic justice for Tony might be a victory over the law and/or his mob rivals that leaves him totally alone.

13. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Sorry for the quasi-resurrection. If this strays too much from this thread just move it to another.

Ok, what is up with the horrible final season? The past few episodes have not been that bad, but ep80 and 81 have been, IMHO, only slightly better than having Sanjaya sing a duet with Ashley Simpson (without backing tracks). Story-lines seem to come out of nowhere and I fail to be interested in the characters in a personal way anymore. All of the major characters seem to have changed in-between last season and this season, not to mention things are not getting better in that regard.

After watching ep80 last week and just watching ep81 tonight I had to see what others were thinking about this.

(btw, I purposely did not include any details of the episode in case of being a spoiler. I am happy to discuss things in more detail if thats kosher (yes, a ep81 pun)).

14. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I agree, the last few episodes have been all over the map and don't really from on to another.

Let hope there is some cohesive element that helps to finalize things.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I thought the common thread among all the episodes can be summed up as "things fall apart."

B

16. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I hear you but the Sopranos is not like Sienfeld but more like Friends that needs some kind of conclusion other than "here is the last episode - (so except it)".

I can't believe I referenced Friends, Sienfeld, and the Sopranos in the same sentence.

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but I feel quite certain that the story is moving towards a conclusion that won't seem arbitrary, that will pick up many of the threads established during the course of the series.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed and the writers will give us a bang for the finale...I'm seeing a final episode with Tony still being on top but passing it to AJ.

Bless

19. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Does this extend to the writing itself? There just seems to be too many random story-lines that are starting way too late in the game.

But is there literally enough time left in the coming episodes to do that? I don't think there is unless many, many people get popped or there is a mass federal bust or the like.

See, I see AJ joining the family, but I see Tony out of the picture, either in the witness protection program/on the lamb or dead. Maybe it will just be an AJ vs Tony thing. I bet the Muslim connection comes back into the picture; either Tony talks to the Feds or there is a bombing of some sort. Sounds to me like a good way to "take care" of some of the NY problems, plus some "bystanders" might get hurt. Bystanders that are close to some of the characters we know, and may be a good reason for revenge.

I just hope that the next few episodes start delivering a bit more meaningful developments. That and I would enjoy seeing a "replay" of the "It was a Very Good Year" montage from the beginning of season 2. Could be a great way to tie things together, yet leave things open.

20. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure, unless you insist on every plot thread being tidied up by the end, which clearly isn't realistic in terms of the number of episodes remaining, and wouldn't be realistic even if it could be done. I think we're going to be left with plenty of ambiguities and dangling plot lines. My prediction is that Tony ends up on the top of the mob heap, but only after having sacrificed so much personally (family, close friends) that winning has lost its meaning. I think they're pushing the story towards this sort of classic poetic justice.

21. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I agree with you IJ Reilly, and I don't expect every plot line to be tied up. I am just curious why so many new ones are being introduced, unless they are planning on leaving the possibility for a HBO movie or the like.

Hopefully to clarify, it's not that I don't think it can be done, just that it is going to take some damn good writing to accomplish any sense of balance.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just to kickstart this thread back into life, or maybe put two bullets into the back of its head...

Read this today over at Television Without Pity, where they're going at it like hammer and tongs:

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3115653&st=345&p=7817638&#entry7817638

Just watched 6-12 (Kaisha) recently so we're a bit behind what is showing in the US at the mo. Still, I likes me some spoilers. ;)

23. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Wow, this guy has everybody dying in the end, like some bad Italian opera. I don't think so. Even commercially, it makes no sense -- HBO will want the option of bringing the Sopranos back for short runs or movies in the future. Can't do that very well if everybody is dead.

David Chase said once that Tony rises and falls in every episode, which obviates the need for him to have some final comeuppance at the end of the series in order for us to feel like some justice has been done. I'm still going with the idea of Tony's final triumph coming at such a great cost that he ends up with nothing of meaning. I see a classic Pyrrhic victory for Gen. Soprano.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

So, any predictions or wishes for tonight's episode, The Blue Comet? Not much more to go before the very end...

I don't think there's ever going to be a movie.

25. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I could've sworn they were grooming Anthony Jr. to follow in dad's footsteps, judging by a few episodes ago. That, obviously won't happen now.

I think this season started really slow. And they wasted almost an entire episode on Junior in the hospital. What a waste of time.