Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
me personally i have allot of money invested in fonts and software. Last year i bought the Adobe master collection (MAC) yesterday i contacted Adobe and they were prepared to change my MAC version for a PC version without extra coasts. (now thats customer service!) this made me make up my mind and go for a PC, i'm sure it will run just as smooth.
It seems that professional software vendors are more willing to work with their customers, as I ran into a similar thing with the software I use. National Instruments swapped out an OS X license for LabView to Windows for me at no cost, when I determined that the 2008 MP wouldn't do what I wanted it to do (hardware limitations, not just software).

Aug 26, 2008
Not really. The iMac is a consumer machine. The MP is a pro machine. A customer considering the top end iMac vs the low end MP understands the tradeoffs. The avg iMac buyer is not going to be enticed by the MP because of the form factor, and vice versa. It's not like a going into a BMW dealer to buy a 328 and getting upsold to the 335. It would be more like going to a dealership to buy a sports car and driving out in a pickup truck.

This is where Apple marketing has utterly succeeded. The Mac Pro is not a "pro machine". It is a standard desktop, that happens to use "workstation" cpu's that are no better than the "consumer" cpu's they mirror. In some cases they are the same thing. The Mac Pro is just Apple's only real desktop form factor, that happens to have "pro" branding on it.

It's really sad what Apple has done to their own machines. Again, still a "fan" and a user, but when the day comes that PCI slots, and USB3 is considered high tech "pro gear" (do people know how common PCI slots are??)...well that's the day that Apple is either actively killing their own rep, or the apologists are being dumbed down beyond belief.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.