Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
Not a flamebit, and don't get me wrong, I love my Mac and want to get a desktop, but what makes you love to hate apple? For me, it's the .mac crap everywhere. If Microsoft did that, people would lose their minds. (Messenger and the MSN browser can both be removed, to my knowledge, the .mac stuff all over my iBook cannot). How many times during the setup of OSX does it ask you if you want to join .mac? I don't know if it ever gives you the option to say "no" - it's always later, or not now, etc. End rant:)

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Yeah it just keeps getting more intrusive. Once you're done setting up it's not bad though. Windows is 100 times worse. :)

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
cjc343 said:
When are you bugged by it? I've only noticed it when I try to do something that requires that I have it...

I'm bothered by it in just about every Apple app. iCal, Address book, even the finder has the iDisk - why have that there? Why not have an option for a remote disk via ftp/sftp or something compatible with the rest of the world?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
nichos said:
I'm bothered by it in just about every Apple app. iCal, Address book, even the finder has the iDisk - why have that there? Why not have an option for a remote disk via ftp/sftp or something compatible with the rest of the world?

Well, iCal lets you publish on a private server. iDisk is really the only solution to an integrated internet volume, that I know of. Address Book... lets you back up and exchange entries? You could probably do that with Automator.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Oh, but Microsoft Windows is worse. I can handle the stuff Apple asks for (which is nothing yet. I still haven't been asked if I do want .Mac/try it out yet. I just went through the one screen after setup and that was it).
Windows here's what I hate:
Internet Explorer is faulty. Why don't they ship FireFox with it if they could get Mozilla to let them do it?
The updates keep asking you if you want to install them every 5 minutes. This gets annoying playing a game.
The notification windows/how to turn them off can be hidden most of the time so you can't figure out how to get the balloons to go away.
MSN Explorer is on the install by default (found this one out by seeing in hidden in my Program Files folder).
No smart defrag. You're files get all defragged in Windows. Mac OS X automatically defrags files.
Spyware is massive on Windows, you just can't get rid of it. Microsoft puts spyware automatically on there, its called Windows Media Players - Spy Bot S&D destroyes keys it makes, but they come back.
Windows has lots and lots of security issues, but waits until its a massive problem before they fix them. Mac OS X comes out with a fix as soon as they can, because they don't want a bigger problem.
The support for Windows PC's cost $50 a minute at least. I've went to Microsoft.com looking for support and found none.
Microsoft doesn't support AFP without third party software. I want to connect to my Apple shares sometimes, but I can't because of that limitation. At least OS X can read and write to NTFS volumes.
Microsoft has programs that automatically add to the registry - msn messenger and windows messenger - so they startup whenever you turn on your computer.
Microsoft doesn't support HFS and HFS+ volumes. Come on, Mac OS X has support for FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, EXT, etc.
Firewire 800 is supported on OS 9.2, Mac OS X. Although Windows XP does not support it without thirdparty stuff.
List can go on, but I'll stop.

Sorry, but I feel that the .Mac is the least of Mac OS X's worries when Windows has the bigger issues. I don't mean to flame you here, just showing you why Mac OS X will always be better.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
I've always found Automater too inflexible to do what I want it to - I had an almost working workflow that would export my address book and upload it to an FTP server, but I couldn't find a way to save to a non .txt file...

I guess I just haven't found a need for any of the features you use...

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
slooksterPSV said:
Microsoft doesn't support AFP without third party software. I want to connect to my Apple shares sometimes, but I can't because of that limitation. At least OS X can read and write to NTFS volumes.

Use Samba. And since when could OS X write to NTFS?

And I agree with the iDisk thing. How about some standard (Web)DAV support in addition to iDisk? It's the same freakin' thing. Just let me specify the address.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
cjc343 said:
I've always found Automater too inflexible to do what I want it to - I had an almost working workflow that would export my address book and upload it to an FTP server, but I couldn't find a way to save to a non .txt file...

I guess I just haven't found a need for any of the features you use...
I can help you with that one. I just made it:

Attachments

• AddressBookServer.pdf
    115.1 KB · Views: 214

cjc343

macrumors 6502
dubbz said:
Use Samba. And since when could OS X write to NTFS?

AFAIK: Ever since it could mount a Windows network drive. I've never tried putting a NTFS formatted HD into my internal->external case, or directly into my computer, so I don't know if it would work like that, but using smb/cifs shares, it reades/writes fine.

EDIT:

I got that far via a slightly different route, but I wanted to write to xls instead of txt... and that's where I ended up stuck...

EDIT #2:

The main difference was I used no input, and just exported my entire address book, and then FTP'd it with Transmit (which wasn't ideal since it actaully started Transmit... having it run ftp via terminal would probably have been better...)

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
slooksterPSV said:
Oh, but Microsoft Windows is worse. I can handle the stuff Apple asks for (which is nothing yet. I still haven't been asked if I do want .Mac/try it out yet. I just went through the one screen after setup and that was it).
Windows here's what I hate:
Internet Explorer is faulty. Why don't they ship FireFox with it if they could get Mozilla to let them do it?
The updates keep asking you if you want to install them every 5 minutes. This gets annoying playing a game.
The notification windows/how to turn them off can be hidden most of the time so you can't figure out how to get the balloons to go away.
MSN Explorer is on the install by default (found this one out by seeing in hidden in my Program Files folder).
No smart defrag. You're files get all defragged in Windows. Mac OS X automatically defrags files.
Spyware is massive on Windows, you just can't get rid of it. Microsoft puts spyware automatically on there, its called Windows Media Players - Spy Bot S&D destroyes keys it makes, but they come back.
Windows has lots and lots of security issues, but waits until its a massive problem before they fix them. Mac OS X comes out with a fix as soon as they can, because they don't want a bigger problem.
The support for Windows PC's cost $50 a minute at least. I've went to Microsoft.com looking for support and found none.
Microsoft has programs that automatically add to the registry - msn messenger and windows messenger - so they startup whenever you turn on your computer.
Microsoft doesn't support HFS and HFS+ volumes. Come on, Mac OS X has support for FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, EXT, etc.
Firewire 800 is supported on OS 9.2, Mac OS X. Although Windows XP does not support it without thirdparty stuff.
List can go on, but I'll stop.

Sorry, but I feel that the .Mac is the least of Mac OS X's worries when Windows has the bigger issues. I don't mean to flame you here, just showing you why Mac OS X will always be better.

I agree with most of what you said, though I think it was off topic. First, MSN can be removed from the add/remove programs, (but don't try removing the MSN gaming zone folder, that breaks stuff). I wasn't trying to start a windows VS os x thread, I was really asking what annoys people about OS X. Think about it though, if every explorer window had a "upload to microsoft" or "enter your .net passport" crapola, people would go bannanas! I'm just saying I wish apple would take that junk out.
That's only one example - what's with quicktime? Why is it a "pro" feature to have full screen? That's something the most basic video players can do, even (eewww) realplayer.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
nichos said:
I agree with most of what you said, though I think it was off topic. First, MSN can be removed from the add/remove programs, (but don't try removing the MSN gaming zone folder, that breaks stuff). I wasn't trying to start a windows VS os x thread, I was really asking what annoys people about OS X. Think about it though, if every explorer window had a "upload to microsoft" or "enter your .net passport" crapola, people would go bannanas! I'm just saying I wish apple would take that junk out.
That's only one example - what's with quicktime? Why is it a "pro" feature to have full screen? That's something the most basic video players can do, even (eewww) realplayer.
Sorry I was just on a roll there. I fight for OS X to the Death now. Microsoft needs more support for some stuff. And as far as I know, you could probably remove some things by changing the PLIST XML files. Maybe, I wouldn't advise it, but you maybe can. Think about how Tinker Tool will let you align the dock to the top left or the top or the top right or the bottom left or bottom right of the screen? And the extra effect Apple has, but doesn't put in there for you to use.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
cjc343 said:
AFAIK: Ever since it could mount a Windows network drive. I've never tried putting a NTFS formatted HD into my internal->external case, or directly into my computer, so I don't know if it would work like that, but using smb/cifs shares, it reades/writes fine.

Doesn't really count as NTFS write support though. When you use smb/cifs the underlying filesystem doesn't matter.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
dubbz said:
Doesn't really count as NTFS write support though. When you use smb/cifs the underlying filesystem doesn't matter.
I guess that's true because the FS on that only matters to the server OS.

So has no one tried an NTFS volume on a mac like as an external or that???

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
slooksterPSV said:
Sorry I was just on a roll there.
No problem:) As much as we'd like to think it, Microsoft doesn't want all the spyware, etc problems - they're likely losing more money than they could ever get from companies like symantec, etc.
slooksterPSV said:
And the extra effect Apple has, but doesn't put in there for you to use.
Oh, don't get me started on that (he said typing on his iBook with the screen spanning hack in use:rolleyes: ) Like I said, I love my apple, but really hate a lot of things they do! Another example, if they've been compiling OSX on intel since it came out, why make us poor users go through yet another transition?!

cjc343

macrumors 6502
I'd be willing to test it as an external drive... but I'll need to wait until a time when I'm:

1. Prepared to reinstall Windows... Again... :mad:
2. Am not using the drive currently in my case for anything.

That doesn't happen very often... maybe I'll just reformat a spare 20 gig drive later on and test it... but it still won't be quite the same since the controller is in the external case...

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I don't find the .Mac stuff too annoying, but I don't see why they don't let you have a .Mac email address for free. I would love to have one, and it drives me crazy that I can't. Other than that I don't have a real problem though. I love that I have an operating system that works, with a browser that won't give me spyware and a mail client that isn't annoying as all hell.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I have not once been hassled by OSX asking for stuff, since the initial install (and I don't really think that's a hassle as it's just asking how you want to set your computer up). As most others have posted XP is always bitching for stuff and it's a huge pain in the ass. I can not empathize with the OP on this one in the slightest.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
I don't like the way you have to use Safari to change you default browser. I can't believe how many times I've had to explain that, in order to change your default browser (which is a global change), you have to use the preferences in Safari, rather than System Preferences.

I've never understood the logic behind that :confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Windows isn't really any different in that regard - to set a browser as the default, you need to open the browser then choose Make Default in its options.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Nermal said:
Windows isn't really any different in that regard - to set a browser as the default, you need to open the browser then choose Make Default in its options.

The difference is that in OS X you must* open Safarai to set a competely different browser as your default. You don't have to open Internet Explorer, in Windows, to do the same.

* You can set Firefox, and Camino I believe, as the default browser without having to go through Safari. I figure the same is true for the other by now. Didn't use to be true though

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
slooksterPSV said:
I guess that's true because the FS on that only matters to the server OS.

So has no one tried an NTFS volume on a mac like as an external or that???

I put an NTFS formatted drive (a 30 GB Western Digital) with Windows 2000 into a Maxtor Firewire enclosure and it both read and wrote on my old Powerbook (running Panther), but it did both fairly slowly. I was just curious if it would read it, so I was very surprised to find out I could write to it. Everything worked fine after I put the drive back into my PC.

If I had to pick an Apple pet peeve, it would probably be the way that they can't seem to decide if Aqua or Brushed Metal is the right way to go, so they just throw a mix of the two at us in different Panther and Tiger applications.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
"Do you want to upgrade to quicktime pro?" - that used to piss me off just slightly every time. I'm very happy it doesn't do that anymore.

A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.