The The New iPad Has DOUBLE The RAM Bit**es!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boltjames, Mar 10, 2012.

1. boltjames, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/uPsaX_2wCOw/

So who's doubting the value of the The New iPad now?

Retina Display
    iSight Camera
    4G Network Speeds
    Quad Processor Speeds
    Bluetooth v4.0 SmartReady
    Doubled RAM
    iMovie
    Facetime
    Skype Video
    Voice Dictation
    AirPlay Mirroring
    Smart Cover
    Tapered Design

BJ

2. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Ram is only truly an issue for me when it means a web page has to reload when I tab back over to it. And the only reason ram even plays a role there is because the Safari developers made a poor decision not to take advantage of caching to "disk" when ram is full. Even with more ram, the problem won't really get better; the problem is simply delayed until I have a few more tabs or apps open.

A simple software update to Safari would improve my experience in it more than literally any amount of ram could ever help.

Now, I'm not saying more ram is bad. Yay ram! That enables developers to make apps that otherwise just wouldn't be feasible. And until devs start releasing apps that use more ram, more ram means I can background more apps at once. So I'm all for it. But it doesn't solve my Safari pain point.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

*sigh*

a rumor parading as a fact. we already had dictation apps. we still don't have a quad core processor (quad core graphics). smart cover was on ipad 2... the list goes on.

it will be worth it for some, not for others, but until someone tears it apart, we don't know about the ram. personally, i am assuming we have 1gb, but that still isn't going to impress some people, especially when they look around and see every other tablet with 1gb.

meh. anyhow, looking forward to getting past "preparing for shipment"...

4. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

this article isn't proof... did you even read it?

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Double the RAM, half the maturity.

Im not sure who the OP is yelling at but Im pretty sure its unanimous that the new iPad being sold at the same price is a fantastic value.

6. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

How did I know who the OP was before I even read his name. :rolleyes:

7. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Rear "iSight" Camera = 5 megapixels, 1080p HD Video recording, Image Stabilization

Rear "Facetime" Camera = VGA quality.

Still a great value. I'm sold on all the new features.

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I usually get that same sense of foreboding with whocaresit posts.

9. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm a perspective first-time iPad owner, and stuff like this worries me. If it can't handle tabs, that'd be sorely disappointing. I've heard this a few times before from other posters. Makes me reluctant to pull the trigger.

10. erawsd macrumors 6502

It's not that the hardware can't handle tabs, it's a problem with the way Safari was design. There are lots of other great iPad browsers that don't have that problem like iCab and Atomic. Safari on Lion even suffers from it.

11. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Its true, the iPad reloads a lot if you have multiple things open. But you also browse differently on the iPad than you do on the computer.

Its easier to multitask with a big screen and keyboard/mouse so people tend to keep a lot of things open and go back to them later.

With the iPad you generally focus on the one or two windows you are actively reading. I hardly ever have more than 2-3 tabs open on my iPad (where as on my desktop I have 6-8 open and sometimes even multiple windows).

Would it be nicer to have it not reload when you have multiple tabs open? Sure.

Is it a deal breaker? Not by a long shot.

On WiFi pages take a second or two to load anyway, so a reload isn't going to be catastrophic.

In the two years I've owned an iPad (iPad 1 for 1, and iPad 2 for the 2nd year) it has never been a big issue, so buy with confidence!

12. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Even with that annoying design decision in Safari, I still prefer browsing the Internet on my iPad over any other device, hands down. And assuming you're still connected to the Internet, reloading a page is fast so no real setback. The main place this becomes a problem is when you're entering data into a web form, like me replying to this post right now. I would not switch to another Safari tab or other app without first selecting all and copying to clipboard to make sure I don't lose my text if the page reloads when I come back. Lame? Certainly, especially if I need some data from another tab/app to complete the form I'm filling out. But like I said, iPad is still my preferred device despite this flaw.

13. rollingstart Guest

14. NachoGrande, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012

NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Why do you have the price of your iPad in your signature?

15. boltjames, Mar 10, 2012

boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

What's with the hostility?

I ordered my The New iPad at 4pm on Wednesday, anxiously awaiting it's arrival, a fabulous upgrade from my two year old iPad 1.

The article I posted claims the The New iPad will have 2x the RAM which is yet another bit of goodness for those who think the The New iPad is "underfeatured" which, clearly, it's not.

BJ

16. maril1111, Mar 10, 2012

maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

thats pretty strange as well but what the heck is the "iPad 4G-LTE Elitist Club®" :confused:

and who cares if its 1gb the competition has the same it was about time they have it, for me the screen difference is the main reason to consider buying it.

17. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Still my new hero. :D

18. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You must new around here.

You go Bolt!

19. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Epic fail nobody knows yet smh

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Thats a rich man that owns rolex's, yacht's and almost every apple product ever made. :D

21. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

BJ,

How can you be elitist when you failed to buy the iPad 2?? People with REAL money upgrade every year without feeling the need to sell the prior models. And you still have an iPhone 4? You're slipping, BJ ...

22. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Having only double the ram *is* underfeatured. The device has four times the pixels, so games will want four times the ram, not two times. The graphical power has the same problem, double the power of the iPad 2, but four times the pixels the graphics chip has to push. Anything that takes full advantage of the screen resolution will find itself bottlenecked by RAM and GPU power. So don't expect to be able to open twice as many Safari tabs on iPad 3 than iPad 2 without one of them needing to be reloaded when switching back.

And BTW, while we don't know for sure if the system has double the RAM, we *do* know that it has more RAM than the iPad 2, because the president of Epic Games announced it during the Apple press conference. He said the system has more RAM than XBox 360, well XBox 360 has 512MB of RAM, same as the iPad 2.

23. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Better than owning a Seiko, a kayak and a Windows netbook I guess :)

24. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Because tapered design was touted as a plus, AMIRITE?

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The one device to rule them all!

Though frankly who cares. It's like all the threads about it being a camera, and how awesome it is for photography .... /facepalm

If u get one enjoy it.