The things 90% of you are missing about the $30/mo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrazEtooN, Jun 10, 2008.

1. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

EDIT (everything above the line and in bold is the "edit"): I wanted to add a few things in reference to peoples comments. I am aware that there are people using PDA/Smartphones with the lesser MEdiaNet packages. If you recently started doing this, you are breaking At&t's rules. I understand that data is data, but they don't allow for MEdiaNet plans on smartphones and PDAs. It has been this way since the inception of 3G on their network, to the best of my understanding. If you walk into an At&t store and buy any PDA from the EDGE only Palm Centro to the 3G Tilt, they will make you get the $30 data plan. If you request the MEdiaNet plan, they won't let you do it.

If you are an older, existing customer that has had a data plan that includes texts from "once upon a time," you are special. If you were to sign a new contract, that would go away. You are just lucky enough to have held on to something they no longer offer the current purchasers of PDAs and smartphones. It may have been offered once, but it isn't any longer, and it has nothing to do with the present situation.

I was trying to keep this all simple, hence my simplified explanations, because there is enough confusion surrounding this as is. I guess I couldn't keep it that way...

If this only gets through to a handful of the hundreds of complainers, I will be happy... Someone needs to try, and I haven't seen this thread done yet, so here goes nothing.... (copy of something I said in the middle of another topic)

What nobody seems to understand is that the $30 is not specifically tied to the 3G speeds.

For the love of God, why can't you understand that all At&t BlackBerry and PDA data plans start at $30 a month with NO text messages included?? The original iPhone received special data pricing because it was so expensive to buy and because there was a revenue share between Apple and At&t.

The revenue share is gone.

The price is now subsidized.

This means that the special treatment the previous iPhone got is gone. It is now being priced the EXACT SAME WAY as ALL their other smartphones and PDAs!!!!!!

If you have a BlackBerry Curve, there is no 3G for you because it is an EDGE only device. Guess what, $30/mo data plan, no texts included.

If you have the 3G capable At&t Tilt, there is 3G for if you live in a 3G area. Guess what, $30/mo data plan, no texts included.

If you have that same 3G capable Tilt and live in an EDGE only area, you can only use it over EDGE. Guess what, $30/mo data plan, no texts included. (regardless of being in a 3G area, or an EDGE area, the Tilt data plan is $30/mo. Same plan, doesn't matter where you live or what coverage you can get. I know I am just repeating what I said, but I just want to be sure it is absolutely understood ;), so I am adding this blurb)

THE PRICE IS NOT SOLELY TO THE 3G!!! There are more factors to it, and your coverage area doesn't matter, never has.

This has become one of the most pathetic strings of complaints I have ever seen. Try to understand the following:

-iPhone releases in June 2007 for $599 and $499.
    -Apple and At&t have a revenue sharing agreement, so Apple has more control over the plan pricing.
    -Due to cost and said agreement, the phone is given a special break and is not put on a standard, $30/mo PDA data plan. It is instead given the same plan type as a normal flip phone. This plan is called the MEdiaMax plan, even though it is not branded as such for the iPhone. Look it up on At&t's website if you doubt this.

Fast forward a year

-iPhone 3G comes out on July 11th.
    -iPhone receives subsidized pricing this time around.
    -Revenue sharing agreement is gone. Due to this fact, and the subsidized pricing, At&t takes the iPhone out of the special data pricing bracket it formally was in and places it into the PDA bracket where it always should have been. Apple has no say over this because the revenue sharing is gone.

Are you getting this now? Can you see it?

It is not the work of the devil. It is not Jobs trying to eat your soul. It is not At&t trying to steal your first born. It is simply At&t pricing the iPhone data in accordance with all their other PDA/smartphones.

The last point is that the negative press may actually cause a change before July 11th.

Just calm down and see what happens. If nothing changes, and you don't want to pay it, don't buy the damned phone, but please stop making asinine complaints about it.

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I don't have an iPhone, but well said! It is also cheaper then some other carriers for Unlimited Data.

3. camarobh macrumors 6502

Amen.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Hmm...actually some good points here. For me it's not the extra $15 per month that bugs me it's that AT&T is forcing you to sign a new contract for a hardware change. NO other carrier does that. I have the option of walking into the retail store, picking out any phone and paying full retail (not that I would...I just could) and putting it on my current plan. If AT&T gave me the option of paying, say, $500 for the new iPhone and keeping my current plan rather than getting the cheaper (subsidized) phone and "resetting" my contract I would choose the former. Again, I would not mind the rate change I just hate to be locked in for another two years.

But, again, I see your points.

5. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Very well put. But be careful, if you make well-thought out statements like this that are true, you might end up on FoxNews as a rebel.

Thank you for saying it. I agree 100%. And for crying out loud, if you bought an iPhone ever or are buying one now and the extra $10 a month breaks your bank account, you should not own an iPhone. Get a razr.

6. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

finally someone who isnt complaining about the price.

7. CrazEtooN thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, that is a different story altogether. I am just trying to break through the wall of ignorance surrounding the data pricing though.

8. mark34 macrumors 6502a

there is sign of intelligent life out there... excellent

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Wrong. Every time you get a new phone using a subsidy you have to sign a new contract. It works that way for every carrier on the planet.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

That's not what he was saying. Every other phone that you can get a subsidized discount on can also be purchased at full price without a new contract. This does not appear to be the case with the iPhone.

11. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Nope, doesn't work that way in the US. Plenty of phones that are locked to a carrier. Will be nice if the US government stops this junk some day.

12. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Take a look at my post again (maybe my fault for not being too clear). If I walk in to, say, Verizon and pick up a phone and pay full retail to add it to my current contract, my contract will not be "re-set". The iPhone is not officially "subsidized" meaning I do not have the option to pay full retail and simply continue on with my current contract. If you want the new iPhone you HAVE to sign a new contract. The subsidizing of phones is designed to entice folks to sign new contracts rather than selling their first born for a full reatail Blackberry.

Edit: Just read your post. I am referring to buying a phone and staying with the same carrier you currently have a contract with.

13. admanimal macrumors 68040

Huh, what does being locked to a carrier have to do with it? I live in the U.S. too, and whenever you want you are free to walk into an AT&T store, buy any phone you want for full price, and replace another phone on your account with it.

14. BrokenE macrumors regular

Good point.

CrazE, good point. I don't have a 3G phone now, but have been waiting for the upgraded 3G i-phone. My main reason for the purchase is to replace my 4G nano since I now have more than 4Gs of music and find it a PITA to select and deselect songs. And oh gee, somehow I lost my phone recently and now I have to get a replacement phone :D. Seriously I did loose my phone, but i can't say i've been "desperately" looking for it either.

Anyhow, it's good to see that AT&T is not taking advantage as others have reported.

Thanks for the info.

15. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, I'm just calling bull on the iPhone not being subsidized.

8gb iPod Touch = $299
    8gb iPhone 3G = $199

Huh? There is obviously some sort of subsidy program going on here.

16. D3lta macrumors 6502a

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Gee, people had a special deal, and now they don't.

And you somehow seemed shocked that people are complaining about that?

What, exactly, would make you think that people wouldn't complain if something is taken away from them. Haven't you been here long?

18. CrazEtooN thread starter macrumors regular

I hope this thread doesn't debase into an uncontrollable argument from this point forward, but I am very happy to see even this much agreement and understanding. Here's to hoping it continues...

19. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It isn't being taken away. The first gen iPhones get the same deal as always. The new iPhones just don't get that deal.

20. admanimal macrumors 68040

No one is doubting the iPhone being subsidized. (Edit:...ok he did say he didn't think that it was officially being "subsidized")

All he is trying to say is that there is no option to pay full price (say $500 or whatever) and add the phone to an existing contract like you can with any other phone.

21. CrazEtooN thread starter macrumors regular

I spoke too soon...

I am not shocked at the complaining, I am shocked at the misunderstanding. I am just trying to help people get a better idea at why it happened so they will stop throwing the blame all over the place, so they will stop making asinine comments about the evilness of Apple and At&t, and further so they will stop acting like it is the end of the world.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's being taken away as an option.

Sorry, I thought that was clear but I guess I should have finished the sentence to the very end.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, it's a nice idea, but you get the same thing over the fact that there's no front-facing camera. Now, I thought it was obvious that that rumor wasn't true, but apparently it wasn't obvious.

My point is, when you have people complaining about stuff like that I don't think there's any hope of diffusing them with long, logical posts.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you're preaching to the choir.

24. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

There are phones that are carrier restricted at launch and thus require a contract of some sort. The iPhone is subsidized even if they're trying to pretend it isn't "officially" subsidized and having phones locked to a carrier isn't new.

People complained when Apple tried to break the mold and get rid of subsidies and now they're complaining when they do it to lower the initial price. Make up your mind.

25. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

For the record I never complained about that. I complained about the lack of a fuschia colored iPhone. I complained about the lack of i-ray vision on the iPhone.

But not that.