The Truth About the iPhone X's Screen Size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeblow7777, Sep 29, 2017.

1. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

re -read what i said.. it doesn't claim any specific amount.
    OTOH - i will be even happier to receive the REAL statistics you guys presume yourselves.
    me? what do i know about using a phone? i don't use a brain, as your mac buddy said.

you make it sound like it matters that much.
    you start to nitpick nonsense to be entertained or something. strange.

2. iSayBoourns, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

iSayBoourns macrumors 6502

iSayBoourns

F244F76B-4833-473E-B010-E5577EB1032B.png

As you can see. Screen sizes ranging from 4” to 6” fall in the 10-15% used in landscape. Landscape doesn’t begin to be more commonly used until you get into tablets and iPad sizes.

3. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

LOL that doesn’t even look anything like “whichcan be at least 30% or 20%”. I guess that “can be” is his plausible deniability

4. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I think I’ll adjust quickly. I have no issue typing on an iPhone 6s.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    That’s fair. I know it won’t work for everyone. I am just tired of the top/bottom chins and the overall bulk of the plus.

5. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Source?

6. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

They misquoted. The area when viewing 16:9 videos (without clipping) is equivalent to a 5" viewing area. You can refer to my post of the schematics and do the math for yourself.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 1.00.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 12.54.47 AM.png

7. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

The Plus displays more vertical information in landscape view, with scarcely less horizontal information.
    This is why the Plus wins, in my book.

8. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

I agree. however we don't know if there will a be zoom mode for the browser of if one of the other 3rd party browsers will make use of the full screen without the white bars. For those who prefer portrait web browsing and are wondering what that might loo like...

Here are some Examples

iPhone 6/7/8 Vs X

b2.png

b5.png

Iphone Plus Vs X

s3.png

s8.png
    IMO It's not as dramatic as I thought it would be. but that's only my opinion

9. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Yet another silly discussion on Apple's R.D.F.

Another Year, Another Best Yet

10. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Too small for me. Ready to sell my body in time for the iPhone XS Plus

11. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

As an adult education teacher, I have observed that people, especially those new to smartphones, generally tend to use a device in the orientation first presented to them. Smartphones are overwhelmingly displayed, and demoed in portrait orientation, so for the novice, that is THE orientation. Unless they are shown, it never occurs to most people to turn their device sideways, that’s why we see so many of those aggravating vertical videos on the web (and increasingly, on news broadcasts).

12. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

THe only problem is that the "truth" of that video is wrong... the iphone X has a wider screen than the 4.7. It has the equivalent width of a 5 inch 16:9 screen
    the normal 8 is 750px wide @ 326ppi..
    so 750 ÷ 326 = 2.3" wide

the X is 1125px wide @ 458ppi..
    1125 ÷ 458 = 2.45" wide

as in, the X screen is wider than the smaller iPhone 6/7/8

(not by that much though.. a little more than 1/8" wider)

13. jakontil macrumors newbie

jakontil

So u reckon streaming video for screen size estate still best at 8+?

I mainly use for that purpose

14. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

If that is all you do get a tablet. But yes, if it has to be a phone an 8+ is best for netflix, youtube etc

15. jakontil macrumors newbie

jakontil

Thanks, tablet not possible in my environment

I need something pocketable with maximum screen size viewing possible :)

I was waiting for the X but yeah.. used to landscape mode in plus

16. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

fwiw---
    the plus has the largest screen out of 8, 8+, and X

------
    some info:
    • if the X didn't have round corners and a notch, it would have the largest screen.
    • if the X had the notch but square corners, it would have the largest screen.
    • if the X had round corners but no notch, it would have the largest screen.

the 8+ has an area of 12.85 square inches
    the X has an area of 12.75 sq.in (it would be 13.07"sq if no notch/fillets)
    the 8 has an area of 9.4 sq.in..

there's a 0.1 square inch difference between X and +... that's so small a difference that they could pretty much be considered identical in size..

-----
    as far as arguing about which one has better usage of these screen areas, both 'sides' will have valid points..
    some videos will look larger on 8+, yes.. but some videos will look larger on X..
    etcetc.
    have fun trying to win :)

17. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

We’ll find out for certain in 31 days (!). But, if the X’s display turns out to look as claustrophobic as what’s shown here (makes me feel like I’m living in a phone booth!), I guess I’ll be sticking with the Plus after all (>sigh<).
    Not so sure about that. Due to its aspect ratio, the iPhone X removes the black bars above and below the video image (according to the demos).

18. flat five, Oct 3, 2017

flat five macrumors 601

flat five

depends on what you're streaming..
    if you're streaming 16:9 videos at youtube then the videos will appear better on 8+..
    if you're streaming HD movies via iTunes/Netflix, the videos will generally appear better on the X.

(and by 'better' i just mean it will be largest before the user induces any cropping)

------
    my personal opinion on this is---
    watching a movie on 8+ or X is exactly the same.. i'd be watching a movie on a phone with a nice screen of similar size.

the differences between the viewing experience will be entirely negligible since they're so incredibly similar when comparing to other means of viewing..

in this thread--- arguing about minuscule size differences between 8+ and X..
    but think about the viewing difference between one of those and an iPad..
    or an iPad compared to 15" MBP..
    or the laptop vs 27" screen..
    etcetc.

all the other comparisons between screens are noticeable/sizeable differences which result in different user experiences.. but comparing these two phones-- no difference.
    good luck.
    are you sure about that?
    not saying you're wrong but i just haven't seen Apple saying that.. at the keynote, i remember p.Schiller saying it had the highest pixel density of any iPhone ever.. but he didn't say it has the largest display ever (iirc)

do you have link where Apple stated what you're saying they did? (or, what time in the keynote if that's where it was said)

19. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 601

You could in fact be right that Apple has never described it as such. Certainly others have called it the larger screen based on the idea that 5.8 > 5.5, but that only goes to show that there’s confusion.

20. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I watch TV and movies on my iPad. So I’m not concerned with how they will appear on the X. Beyond that, I’m willing to trade a little screen space for the latest technology. I must admit, I’m a geek and enjoy being on the bleeding edge. If it turns out I don’t care for it, I’ll return it for an 8+ and pocket $200. But I think I’ll make the adjustment just fine.

21. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

inferring that many people are the same as yourself.

inferring that one person shouldn't infer that many people are the same as yourself.

22. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

That Actually almost 20% as i was guessing. Thanks for this ;)

23. flat five, Oct 3, 2017

flat five macrumors 601

flat five

heh, i think people in position to be 'trading a little screen space' are a minority group.. (again-- i think ;) ..could be wrong )

the majority group of X buyers will be people who previously used iPhone 8 sized phones.. not 8plus.

so for most of us, it's going to be like "holy crap, noticeably larger screen with only a small increase in phone size.. sweet!"..
    like- we're not sacrificing any screen space or video viewing sizes.. just gaining it
    :)

people accustomed to an 8+ sized phone will have to make more of an adjustment if they go with a iPhone X in regards to how big they can view certain things compared to what they're used to..
    because in certain cases, yes, the content will appear smaller.

24. Radon87000 macrumors 601

I am confused despite making a ton of threads on the subject. I have a 7 plus but never used in landscape so will the X offer smaller or bigger content for me.

25. iSayBoourns macrumors 6502

iSayBoourns