The Truth About the iPhone X's Screen Size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeblow7777, Sep 29, 2017.

1. HylianKnight macrumors member

I am a 7 Plus owner and for me, buying the 8 Plus is not an option since it has gotten even larger. I know the realistically it is likely unoticeable, the point is I want a phone that is easier to handle. I love the screen real estate of the Plus model but will sacrifice it for the iPhone X. Next year I’ll throw my wallet at the X plus... a phone likely to cost $1099 for a base model /: Let’s hope a base model by then will be 128GB

2. spac3duck macrumors regular

Looking at those images, I'm kind of disappointed in the marginal gain in screen height by having a taller device. As you have pointed out, the iPhone X has approximately a 5" screen at an unobscured 16:9 ratio which is just 0.3" more than the standard iPhone.

Therefore, are we better off thinking about the next line up as:
    • iPhone 8 = 4.7" screen with dumb physical bezels
    • iPhone X = 5.0" screen with smart OLED bezels*
    • iPhone 8+ = 5.5" screen with dumb physical bezels
    * = Your mileage may vary depending on how the developers implement the auto safe margins etc

By comparing each device on a "like for like 16:9 screen ratio", we have a clearer comparison. (I'm not taking into consideration the differences in LCD vs OLED at this stage, rather just the measurements)

3. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

Good post.
    Brings me back to the fact Apple didnt manage to simply drop that pointless 8 and do the X in 2 sizes ( not that i could lose 1500$ on the bigger one lol)

4. spac3duck macrumors regular

In Apple's case, I prefer a 'Dumb physical bezel' over a 'Smart OLED bezel' everyday of the week because I personally don't like the rounded corners or the notch.

In a dream world where they were to make just one phone for me, I would ask for a rectangle OLED screen with the thinest possible dumb physical bezels to hold it. The front camera and tech would be included in the top dumb physical bezel in order to not obscure the screen and they can remove the home button in much the same way as the iPhone X. Just my 2cents :rolleyes:

5. Radon87000 macrumors 603

6. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

Correction: narrower.

7. flat five, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

flat five macrumors 601

flat five

hmm.. not really sure if we're better off thinking of iPhone X as 5".. it's an inaccurate measurement.

probably better off if people quit using a diagonal measurement for screen sizes.. it's obviously confusing (to the extent that it's often meaningless)..

if you start thinking about an X screen as 5" diagonal, that only makes things more misleading and truly inaccurate.

----------
    EDIT-
    for example... using the "we're better off thinking about it like this" method, what size should we think of these phones as?

(Google, Xiaomi, LG, Samsung)

untitled.5236.jpg
    Xiaomi-Mi-Mix-2-796x398.jpg
    2.jpg
    galaxy-s8-plus_gallery_front_black_s4.png

--------
    so for most new higher profile phones, are we to find the largest 16:9 rectangle within the screen then say the phone has a diagonal measurement of that?
    ?
    you see what i'm getting at?

8. oplix Suspended

oplix

when you can predict what's behind the notch, then you can call it a 5.8 inch screen xD

9. spac3duck, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

spac3duck macrumors regular

My response was specifically targeted towards the discussion of this thread (iPhone X) rather than expanding my hypothesis to other devices but you raise a good point mate.

IMO, devices using curved edges are misleading and confusing when they adopt the diagonal measurement. There needs to be some way of physically comparing against past technology but things are going to get ugly if you need a multistep calculation to work out the surface area of a device because you're unable to use the height, width or diagonal measurements due to the curvature of the edges (On top of this, Apple also has a non-industry standard 'notch' to add into the calculation as well!)

Finding the largest diagonal that is not impeded by the corners is not pretty but it does present a surface area to which we can work with to compare against legacy and current technology. As I proposed earlier, the extraneous space outside of this constitutes to me 'smart bezels' which are a step above 'dumb physical bezels' and are "potentially" useful to display additional information. At the end of the day though, I feel they are merely a cosmetic design decision which is more detrimental to the end user than using a traditional rectangular screen that is the industry standard across many to all media industries and displaying software with a curved edges on it.

What is your suggestion to compare those devices you listed, including the iPhone X?

EDIT:
    [​IMG]
    This Wolfram Alpha resource shows what I mean by multistep calculation.

10. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

Just buy what you like and enjoy it. We don't need countless threads trying to say one persons purchase decision is better than someone else's. Some people like the X and it's features, some people prefer the slightly bigger screen of the 8 Plus, some people prefer the smaller size of the 8. Some people even prefer the SE size. There are no wrong choices. I am tired of people trying to say one or the other is better somehow. It's just a preference.

11. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

I think people only wish the X was a bit wider is all.

12. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

That's fine I guess, but it's not. The features of the X (for me) far outweigh a .1 inch smaller screen. It really makes no difference.

13. ABC5S, Oct 5, 2017

ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

I believe Apple may give us that next year. That’s what I’m hoping for. Don’t care for the notch, but I can almost bet it will be on the larger one next year until Apple sometime in 2019 may come out with a notchless iPhone.

PS: Forgot just one thing. I’m hoping next year they’ll give us more color options. Really do not care for the space gray or silver.

14. Damstr macrumors regular

I prefer the narrower design as it will fit in my hand better I imagine.

15. Radon87000 macrumors 603

No smaller. As you can see everything on the X is cramped and smaller.

16. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

TBH I'm afraid they’ll only offer a bigger X with the same dimensions so still we’ll have the same problem.

17. joshen macrumors member

joshen

It's taller but in terms of usable space in apps, it will only give you a tiny bit of extra height (due to the status and bottom bars taking up 88pt), not enough to make it noticeably taller than a Plus screen (only 10pt more if I'm not mistaken). So no, don't get excited about 'longer scrollable lists' if you're upgrading from a +.

18. DNichter, Oct 5, 2017

DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

Haha Plus users will do anything to throw negative spin on the X. It's okay, we are good with your decision to keep your current Plus or go to the 8 Plus. The people who prefer the X do not care.

19. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

Why negative? I much prefer the newer X tech and screen. I just dont wanna wait another year for a bigger model. They should have ditched the 8 and do 2 X sizes.

20. Olganech macrumors regular

That is no different than with hard disks, a 500GB hard disk only has around 465GB usable.

With phones that have on-screen buttons you usually have a navigation bar that you can hide to allow more space for your apps.

21. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I have no idea why. People on this site tend to need to justify their buying (or non buying decisions). Put down others so they feel better about themselves sort of thing. Yea I agree, everything the X brings on top of the 8 Plus features outweighs a small decrease in screen size. I am actually looking forward to a smaller phone again. Next year they will have both as they likely couldn't produce both this year.

22. Radon87000 macrumors 603

You find this a small decrease? It's much thinner than the _lus and the extra height has rounded corners which isn't as usable.

[​IMG]

23. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

Yes, it's a little narrower. I don't have an issue with it personally. I am looking forward to an overall size reduction, along with the rest of the features of the X.

24. spac3duck macrumors regular

Fair amount of assumption that users contributing in this thread have an iPhone + mate e.g. I'm running an iPhone 7.

25. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

I have done the math. If the short end is 63.12mm and the long end is 135.75mm subtracting 4.99mm for the cut out (The Notch™) you get a diagonal viewing area of 145.2mm or 5.72 inches... granted this is NOT a 16:9 aspect ratio.. The "safe area" or basically the area a 16:9 movie would play is still about 5" on the diagonal.

Another way of looking at the size is the iPhone X (without the notch) has screen area of 12.79 square inches and the iPhone Plus is 12.88 Square inches. Those are VERY close numbers. The standard iPhone 6/7/8 is a distant 3rd with only 10.34 Square inches of screen area

If you add the screen area to the left and right of the notch the available screen area exceeds the plus.

I can calculate in pixels if yo like. The numbers still favor the X.