The Turn-By-Turn Thread

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MozMan68, Oct 12, 2012.

1. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

The other "maps" threads seem to be a little too general and I thought I would start a thread just for turn-by-turn info, thoughts, criticisms, praise, etc.

I've only been using it in my local area for a week now...everywhere I drive....just to try it out. Thoughts so far:

* For me, I love the graphic interface (USA). Signs match local graphics, easy to read, like the name of the road I'm on listed below the arrow, shows important cross streets as I drive as legible points and not on the map itself...

* Would love the brightness/graphics to adjust based on day or night. As the days get shorter, I usually leave for work when it is dark and the "bright" screen graphics are a littl much in my dark cabin.

* Not sure if this is related to 4G or he software, but redirections have been nearly instantaneous. I have purposefully taken different routes than suggested to test it out and it usually has the next suggestion before I finish the "wrong" turn.

* Location was off slightly last couple of times I used it...my position on the map seemed to be a couple of hundred feet behind where I actually was. Wondering if it wasn't off enough to reset since it.

* I've been a Garmin user my whole life and the iPhone (TomTom) seems to be picking routes that are actually better than what my GPS would. I always hated that it would take me to the street I wanted to go to, but on a route that has traffic lights or actual speeds that are typically slower than what is posted. The phone has already utilized two different routes that I always thought might be faster...and they were!

* I use a windshield mount and charge in my car. The first day I didn't and the battery life seemed to shrink dramatically. Nice to have my phone charged when I get to work/home.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, etc.? And save your "maps sucks" comments to the other threads...just looking for turn by turn tips, suggestions, etc. :D

2. whatuptrey, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

whatuptrey macrumors newbie

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get turn-by-turn to work. I'm in the US, have an iPhone 5, have location services enabled, Siri enabled, etc., but when I get directions all I get is the same old blue dot I got on my iPhone 4. No blue circle with an arrow in it. I get the green boxes at the top with directions, but no voice or anything. I'm baffled by it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured it out. Not only does your starting location have to be "Current Location," the text also has to be in blue, whatever that means. There was a "Current Location" in my history that I had been using that was black, and it didn't work with that one.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I agree that the map should switch over to a darker color scheme at night. Navigon did this and it was one of those features that you don't NEED, but they make it so much nicer when you have it.

4. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Siri wins on street pronunciation.

Still can't get it to spend any time "re-calculating" after turning off course. Corrections are nearly instantaneous.

Will be testing in Minneapolis and DC/Silver Spring area in a week....and then Seattle, L.A. And San Francisco...

5. zzyzx macrumors member

Wow, I wish I knew how you had the black current location. My wife hates turn by turn and that would let her turn it off.

6. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I have always just used Siri and say, "Directions to 'X'."

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

i have tried it once and it was very successful.

8. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

You can turn off the turn-by-turn voice in Settings>Maps>Navigation Voice Volume.

Regards,
    Tom

9. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Oh yeah? Try it driving around Albuquerque.

Sure, many of the street and place names are in Spanish, but the English approximations that Siri comes up with sometimes don't make sense using English pronunciation rules. Changing Siri's language doesn't change the one used for navigation.

Here's another thing that I do like:

* When the phone is locked, the navigation continues, and also temporarily replaces your lock screen wallpaper with a live map.

10. vega07 macrumors 65816

I think the maps + Siri combo is a killer combination. I live in Orange County, so the maps have so far been very satisfactory. Nothing to complain about...yet.

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I have been using Navigon since it was released, and I'm very happy with it, but I've been using Apple Maps since the GM, just to test it out. It's been great, almost as good as Navigon in a couple of areas, and better in others. I'm very impressed.

I do agree with your requests, OP. the two things I much prefer in Navigon are day/night mode, and the way it works with other audio. I definitely miss having the audio paused or turned way down while Siri is speaking.

As for street names in Albuquerque, I live in SoCal, and we have similar issues, but I've never seen a turn by turn that can do well with that. Doesn't bother me.

OP, don't forget to submit your suggestions to http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

In addition to a night mode, it would be nice if they added options for a satellite view (or hybrid), traffic showing on map, and the ability to move/ rotate/ zoom the navigation map.

13. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I honestly believe that is coming and that is why Apple is going to such great lengths to erase cars while still showing turn arrows on the streets they were covering.

Flyover combined with their version of street view will allow navigation in either mode as I think Apple will be introducing a more seamless "flyover to street view" integration that no one else has.

14. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Today Siri was absolutely convinced that this one road was the only possible route out of a city to my house. She did not care that there are probably 30 different options to get me out of the city of Dayton, she was adamant on taking this one road to the highway. The problem was, that road was closed for construction. Took me 20 minutes of driving in circles before she finally took me a different way. While I know that wasn't her fault, help me out here. Give the other options a chance, there's probably a reason why I'm not listening to you, lol.

While she's not perfect, Siri does a pretty good job overall. Although for some strange reason Siri is convinced that there are 2 "homes" to choose from whenever I say "direct me home". One of them is my actual home, the other shows my street listed, but when I select it, it chooses a different street nowhere near me. Very weird.

The interface is beautiful, a lot nicer than both my previous GPS units. Although, I had my TomTom customized with BMW logos on startup and using my car as the car icon. The signs, however, could be better. Yes, the exit number and miles are easy to read. But the street names or exit names are small and hard to read when you're doing 70-75mph on the highway in traffic. Maybe I need to turn my phone to landscape to make the words bigger? One of these days I need to give the satellite view a shot. Although, using the Standard layer is saving me on data.

Overall though, I like the Apple Maps. They are saving me money on updating my TomTom. No navigation is perfect, I've had problems with my TomTom and my old Navigon. They are just guides, not gospel. Sure I've had problems with Apple Maps as well, but she's at least got me to my destination eventually, lol.

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Up until today I only have seen minor Map problems. Could be because I live in the DC area. However, Apple TbT directions directed me into a blind parking lot instead of a road today. I was trying to get to Sam's Club in Gaithersburg. Now, I did try a different route than what it was actually given to me hoping it would re-route me an alternate way, but it ended up re-routing me into a dead end. I would have been fine with this myself, but I had someone else in the car. Embarrassing.

16. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Used it once and it worked better than my friends dedicated nav!

17. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I've heard Siri pronounce Spanish SoCal street names correctly,
    although her accent does sound like "out-of-town" gringa!

18. Zcott macrumors 68020

I wish I could change the voice for directions. I'm from Northern Ireland and Siri's UK voice doesn't pick me up as well as the American voice, so I prefer it. Annoyingly, all the directions are read in the British Siri voice.

19. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Agreed - the re-routing is crazy fast.

20. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Hd a chance to experience "traffic" today...we don't get a lot where I live. Speed limit is 70 and average speed is probably closer to 75...

Asked Siri to take me home and I noticed red lines on the overview map before I started off.

Attached Files:

21. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Sure enough....

Attached Files:

22. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Checked Google and their traffic matched...

Attached Files:

23. vietalogy macrumors 6502

I think we're neighbors I live near forest hill foods.

24. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I guess it really is only relevant in the larger, overview satellite image, but a nice addition would be to see the traffic line in the nav view or at a minimum, have Siri or some pop-up state at launch that their is traffic on the route or notify of upcoming traffic while on route as approached.

This image shows the transition from sat to nav....red line disappears for the nav view.

Attached Files:

25. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Haha not if you live in Hawaii she doesnt :)