Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Issue with Google maps was the map wasn't downloading when I went back to check it...but my location was showing up (glowing blue orb)...tried it twice...oh well. Wanted to see if it showed the cleared traffic at the same spot as Apple.

Apple traffic was spot on....too bad I didn't believe it at first and get of the highway...:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 80

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The more I think about it, the more I think they did the traffic view right. The overview image can actually be used to navigate if you hit the arrow button.

Lets you see the route and traffic while still being able to hear the prompts as well as pop ups....navigation view is simply too short sighted to view traffic until it is too late to avoid.

Again, would be nice if Siri made note of traffic as the route starts or as it is approached.

Does anyone know if you press Siri and say something like, "detour" will it re-route? Maybe I will try that tomorrow if I remember.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
The more I think about it, the more I think they did the traffic view right. The overview image can actually be used to navigate if you hit the arrow button.

Lets you see the route and traffic while still being able to hear the prompts as well as pop ups....navigation view is simply too short sighted to view traffic until it is too late to avoid.

Again, would be nice if Siri made note of traffic as the route starts or as it is approached.

Does anyone know if you press Siri and say something like, "detour" will it re-route? Maybe I will try that tomorrow if I remember.
Don't think so. But Siri will take you to overview if you ask her how traffic is.

I'm hoping that she gets smarter about things like "detour" commands in the next version.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Siri wins on street pronunciation.

Still can't get it to spend any time "re-calculating" after turning off course. Corrections are nearly instantaneous.

Will be testing in Minneapolis and DC/Silver Spring area in a week....and then Seattle, L.A. And San Francisco...

I've used it all over the Twin Cities metro w/o any problems. By the way, I don't know who your carrier is but still no AT&T LTE here.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I've been using the GPS part of iOS 6 since it was released and must say, time and time again it continues to impress me.

Once again this past Saturday it got me to a location I don't normally go to about 5-15 minutes faster then I normally would. My wife was worried when she didn't recognize the way we were going, but was pleasantly surprised at the outcome!

Took us past what is normally a congested area a total different way that no GPS has ever done before!

I wish when you go somewhere using a route, there was a way to mark that route as a favorite.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I've used it three times for Turn-By-Turn (to places I honestly didn't know how to get to), and it was great all three times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.