The ultimate decision ... SS or SB

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dljor, Nov 10, 2015.

1. dljor macrumors regular

ok. It's the time for the final call. SS or SB. I've boiled down to these two, both in 42 mm. All three bands that I plan to own - black sport, white sport and black classic buckle (knockoff).

Can you guys please tell me which one to keep? I need to make a decision and purchase AppleCare+ within the 60 day window. Also, it's driving me insane .... I know I like both and I know either one would be just great. I just can't justify keeping both. I work in an office and usually dress in shirt+slack or shirt+jeans. I also teach classes, sometimes.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Just keep the one you like most.

Everything else will just be other's opinions.

3. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

I do like them both ...

I think I am keeping the regular one, since I've already got a scratch on it...

4. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

5. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

put a mark on it, right?

6. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

Get your iPhone out and ask Seri to flip a coin. SBSS = heads, SS = tails.

There you go!

7. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

The black watch looks terrible on the leather strap's polished adapters.

8. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting those pictures - I got a sport but next will probably be space black. I think the space black looks better with all of those bands except the third party strap which would look really good if the connectors were black.

The only thing I worry about is Space Black chipping as my space grey did - maybe someone can chime in on this.

9. nicho macrumors 68000

10. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

she said - it's heads ... but I don't agree with her.

11. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. I had a few in my hands. Not a fan of small watches. Most here said 38 looks better on my wrist, but in person, it's too small for my taste.

Attached Files:

12. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

The black is sleek. I have to give it that.

either one is gonna suit me well. but I like ss a bit more. kind of wish it had some sort of transparent coating.

13. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

always the heads? three times in a roll

14. nicho macrumors 68000

your hands are a terrible place to judge a watch, they should be on your wrist! in all seriousness, if it's what you prefer then fair enough.

i'd go for the SS for the customisation, but if i'm honest from the angle you've showed us the classic buckle knockoff doesn't look great - i'd get rid of that rather than use it as a negative against the space black ;) to elaborate - most larger watches with leather bands will have the fitting as one with the case, not hanging off a disconnected bar. if you want to go for the larger watch look, i don't think the classic buckle works because you basically end up with a U shape - like a bicycle lock. it doesn't curve around your wrist like its intended to.

15. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I think I am pretty sure I will stick with 42mm.

You are right. I don't think the classic buckle looks good on my wrist. I might just return it. It's the Moko brand from amazon. Quality is quite nice.

16. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I would keep the SS (biased, because I have an SS). The SB with the classic buckle looks silly with the stainless adapter, and you are going to run into this with a lot of bands if you plan to get more. The SS looks great with nearly all the bands, but the SB is going to be more limited. I also think the SB is going to show wear a lot more and you'll be stuck with how it looks. If the SS gets wear marks, you can just buff them out. The SS can look very dressy/professional with a dressy band, but still looks fine with all the sports bands. The SB is always going to look more geeky because its black. Bottom line is the SS will be more durable over the long haul, and is more flexible with different bands.

17. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

That's great! Sounds like you have made your decession.

Topic closed. ;)

18. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

It would be worse if it had a coating. The coating would get nicked and worn off and it would show, and not be repairable. SS is the best surface available because it can be buffed out to look like new.

19. ascender macrumors 68000

I've had a series one SS since launch and still sometimes think I should have got a black one - they both look really good IMO. But the other thing to remember is just how much you can change their appearance with bands. You'll be happy with either one and a selection of bands.

20. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Let's hope he was happy.

I mean, it's been almost fourteen months.

21. ascender macrumors 68000

Holy thread bump Batman. How on earth did this one pop to the top of my forum view tonight!?

22. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Maybe it was among the Similar Threads near the bottom of another thread?

Could just blame PHP. ;)

23. xDKP macrumors 6502a

xDKP

And this will be a big problem if you want to own Apple classic buckle and other bands with polished steel adapters.

I had a S0 Space Black and loved it, but could never get the bands I wanted because Apple doesn't make adapter colour a choice.

I changed to clear steel in my S2 watch for the same reason (and because it's gorgeous)

Edit: Wow - didn't see it until now - 14 months old thread ;-)

24. ascender macrumors 68000

Yeah, my bad, I'm to blame for bumping this one!

Intersting to hear your take on the Space Black one having actually owned one.

25. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

In my opinion, space black only works with metal bands. I'd suggest the stainless steel, with leather being the best look