The (Un)Official iPhone 3G case/Accessory Review Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dualhcsniatpac, Jul 19, 2008.

1. dualhcsniatpac macrumors newbie

I will hopefully get my phone early next week and i definitely want to get a case. The point of this thread is to put everyones opinions into one place about all the different products that are out there. Recomendations are welcome along with any other info about products (good and bad).

Please include things such as what type of case you prefer and such. Ex: "I prefer a leather case with a flip cover" or "I love the silicone cases because they feel great"

Also where have you found the cheapest place to get these accessories???

Thanks guys.

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I like the rubber cases the best. Feels great in the hand and they really protect the phone well. I chose the Speck PixelSkin case, it resembles a grenade lol, but it feels great and wouldn't rather have any other case. Leather cases are nice too, but I still prefer rubber or w.e this material is.

[​IMG]

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/pixelskin/iphone-3g/143

3. b8b macrumors newbie

I had the InvisibleSheild on the front of my first iPhone so I thought I would try the whole cover (front and back) for my new 3G. The back is a pain to put on and it is nearly impossible not to have lint showing (I think that's partially because I have a white 3G). I am looking for a better alternative. I would like all the benefits of the shock protection of some cases, but I really like the feel of the phone without a case and jsut the invisible shield (or just bare naked)... suggestions? :)

4. jconway macrumors newbie

I picked up a Griffin Wave case today at the Apple store and I love it. It's great because fits snugly, comes with a screen gaurds that doesn't limit the functionality of the touch screen and isn't adhesive, it doesn't add a lot of bulk to the phone. Plus it's see-thru so it doesn't hide the nice looks of the iPhone or make access to the ports and buttons difficult. And to top it all off it comes with two cases in different colors so thyre inter-changeable.

5. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

take a look at this one.http://www.beyzacases.com/ I have there MBA case and love it. So I ordered the multiflip for my iPhone. Very soft leather.

6. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I decided to just go with a sleeve, so I got a decently cheap one ($19.99), Incipio Orion.

I received it a few days ago hoping to have it before my iPhone (who was I kidding, I don't get it until Monday, of course it was coming before the phone) and from the look, I like it. I just wanted something simple that I could slide it in when I throw it into my pocket.

When I get my phone into it I'll repost a little more about it and how I like it. I might end up going for something different, we'll just have to wait and see :rolleyes:

7. OceanView macrumors 65816

8. GotMac? macrumors member

GotMac?

9. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

10. GotMac? macrumors member

GotMac?

Um ya ok, like its not even close to the size of a fanny pack. Post something a little more constructive next time please.

11. illutionz macrumors 65816

Combination of Bodyguardz/BestSkinEver front and back film protection and SENA UltraSlim Pouch is the best ;)

12. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

I've ordered this: http://www.foofshop.com for 20$

Attached Files:

13. iphonewiz macrumors regular

I find that no matter what case you get, storing your earbuds can be a problem. I have this neat like thing called Budcase. It's a earbud holder that connects to your key chain. Really comes in handy! Check it out budcas.com

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

BestSkinsEver.com skin.
    PowerSupportUSA.com Crystal Film Set screen protector.

Ready to go in pockets with anything else, or even get dropped on the street.
    No problems. No bulk.

15. 4q2 macrumors newbie

Case with a Chain

I have been trying to find a case for my iPhone 3G and I have had no luck. I am looking for a case that can charge without pulling it out, and have a chain on it. I lose everything... and having a chain is the only way that I am going to keep my phone.

I did buy this one... but it did have the spec's that I didn't want, and the clip ripped off the 1st day I had it. You can't charge it in the case. I don't recommend this case,

http://www.dlo.com/Products/HipCase_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=

If anyone knows a case that can charge in the case and has a chain... LET ME KNOW! I have been searching for 2 days.

4q2:eek:

16. d7sdavid macrumors newbie

d7sdavid

Case for iPhone 3g

After buying 2 other flip type cases I descided to get a hard case shell type from Griffin. It is called elan Form with easy dock. It come with a hard clear shield to protect the touch screen and a 2 piece shell that encases the rest of the phone. The bottom part of the case can easily be removed to dock your phone. It does not bulk the phone up and I never have to take it out of the case. Here is a link:
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/nuform

The wife still loves her flip type case as she carries it in her purse, but I found it too bulky in my pocket

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

best case i've seen so far is the Contour Flick, available at Apple Stores and Apple Online, and probably elsewhere.

18. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

ps crystal film- awesome
    sena elega- made for 1st gen iphone, fits 3g fine but very snug, well padded, strong belt clip.

19. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

I picked up the iSkin Revo2 for iPhone 3g (I also have the iSkin Revo for the original iPhone).

http://www.iskin.com/revo2_overview.html

Pros: Fits snug, doesn't add as much bulk as the original Revo, color choices are better
    Cons: The Visor doesn't fit on the back as well as the original Revo

I pretty much only use the case when I go to the gym, and love having the hard-plastic Visor to cover the touch screen.

20. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

I've went through 4 cases and this is the best (5th).

Its the Griffin Wave...AWESOME case.

It comes with 2 as well (one black(clear on the back) and one green(also clear on the back)) and so you can change em up and stuff and i have black on the front, green at the back and im diggin it!.

Also its kinda like a soft hardshell type case, it feels great and it doesn't add as much bulk as other hard shells but has the same protection. Also like with every griffin case, it comes with a polycarbonate face SHIELD, not something you apply, but something that snugs in with the case and looks and feels great!

I reallly love this thing!

21. robtyty macrumors newbie

Nice

I always drop my phones, ALWAYS:eek:!!
    This case looks like you could drop it from a 10 story building and it would be fine!

:apple:I am buying one:apple:

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

23. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I use currently the Agent18 EcoShield (black).

Pros: Covers entire back well. Easy to open up. Doesn't collect too much dust. Very close to phone, so it doesn't make the phone much "bigger" looking. Fits in hand nicely and pockets well.

Cons: Cheap plastic variety. Doesn't really show off the "Apple" logo like some (but everyone knows what device you have, of course). Plastic gets scuffed and messed up easily. Doesn't come with screen film like others do (not like I have cared for it too much). Also case opens up very easily (loose fitting sorta). It doesn't come off when you use it, necessarily, but it does come off easy if you want to open it (coin operated in corner)

Overall, I'd give it a 3.5/5. It gets the job done but definitely takes a beating. I might get a second case down the road if it starts opening up more. But, you get what you pay for..

24. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

My homemade microfiber case!

Here is my homemade case made from super-soft microfiber. I guess it's not the best looking case, but it does the job. And it's great for cleaning the iPhone as well.

Tell me what you think.

snverhallen

Attached Files:

25. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

I ordered the griffin wave case and the contour flick. Still waiting on the wave case, but the contour flick came a few days ago and is great. It fits really tight, actually hard to get out, and only increases the iphone dimensions a few millimeters around. It really looks like part of the phone design, if you'd never seen it naked. The other great thing about it is its made of the same type of shiny plastic the back of the 3G is made of, which means it slides in and out of your pocket without any problems.
    I ordered the wave case before doing some research and looking through the apple store, after a few hours of looking and checking reviews on youtube i decided the flick looked the best. When the wave comes i will probably use it occasionally to switch or give it to someone i know who is getting an iphone soon.
    The flick is only a back shell though, so im putting on an invisible shield on the front. Pretty pricey for a piece of plastic, £25, but it looks really good and means you don't have to worry about throwing it down and getting scratched on a table top.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/T...ssories/cases&mco=MTM1NzEwMw&p=1&s=topSellers