The Unofficial "I'm not Upgrading to a New Model " Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by binaryscene, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. binaryscene, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

    binaryscene macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2010
    #1
    It seems like a lot of people get caught up in upgrading to a new machine just for the sake of upgrading. I've been thinking about this a lot lateley, and I have decided to stick with my late 2006 MBP. It would be nice to have a new machine, but my 2006 MBP is still rock solid. Is anyone with else with me?
     
  2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #2
    I agree with you. Looks like there are many people out there with even an i7 mbp that wants to upgrade to SB!
     
  3. sydenham macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2010
    #3
    I have to agree. Last year I had a 2nd gen blackbook. It was fine, and actually very fast. I bought a 2009 2.53 15" and again, it was really more than I needed. However an opportunity came up to buy a 2010 15 at almost 20% off so I couldn't resist. Does it seem that much faster than the 4 year old blackbook? No not really, in fact in some ways the Blackbook seemed faster on certain things. I could never figure that one out. Even when the new Air style Macbook Pros come out, I will need to remind myself how lucky I am to have the machine I do...
     
  4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    I got my first Mac last April when the new MBP came out. I hadn't even realized they had just come out. I just happened to check one day online and notice a spec change up to 4GB of RAM on the 13", so I decided to bite.

    Since then I've been loving my 2.4GHz 13", but at the same time longing for more power. So I've been back and forth about upgrading to either a 2010 15" or waiting for SB.

    But the more time that goes by, the more I love my 13" C2D. I know it's supposed to be weak and outdated and behind-the-time, blah blah blah, but it's awesome. And it's rock solid for what I need it for (a music production platform I can take with me anywhere).

    I'm becoming more and more firm in not wanting to get rid of my 2010 13", so I think I'll skip SB, and possibly even Ivy Bridge. And I may not upgrade until I need to (until the power in the 2.4 C2D just can't keep up anymore). Which is the way it probably should be anyway.
     
  5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #5
    Yeah, silly, IMO. If I had an i7 MBP that worked the way it should (wasn't malfunctioning in any way), I would be keeping that computer until it was well out of warranty and dead as a doornail.
     
  6. elpmas macrumors 68000

    elpmas

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2009
    Location:
    Where the fresh snow don't go.
    #6
    I'm just waiting for them to implement a native matte screen for 13". Honestly, with a replaced HD to SSD will make all the difference in terms of how quick your mb/mbp will be :p
     
  7. powerchord macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #7
    aaahh, refreshing voices of reason, prudence, and sound judgment!!
    So nice to hear amidst the childish whining and tantrum-throwing we've seen so much of on these forums regarding a potential update.

    Cheers to you!
     
  8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

    aznguyen316

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    #8
    @skiltrip - I'm one of those upgrade kinda ppl which sucks. Wish I wasn't but I am. I love my 2010 and have made it as awesome as can be, 8GB ram Vertex 2 SSD yet I still want something more. The real CPU/GPU intensive things I really do is WoW and SC2 and it does those things alright... but I think my main gripe, which I've always kind of had an issue with is the screen resolution. I've been looking at the MBA's 13" and MBP15" hi-res.. but I keep telling myself I don't need it. But I really want a higher res screen.
     
  9. ref26 macrumors 6502a

    ref26

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    #9
    I have a late 07 Blackbook which is still serving me very well, it's still as fast as the day I got it and powerful enough for anything I need it to do. I think the new ones appeal to me more aesthetically than anything. I've decided to wait to upgrade at least until summer for Lion, if not longer.
     
  10. Biscotti macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    #10
    I wish I could stay with my late 2006 MBP too brother... Mine was rock solid until 2 days ago. The GPU is in the midst of dying (too much gaming on windows) and I was starting up with artifacts. So today I deleted all the system files on OSX which delt with the GPU. :-/ Now I'm running off CPU only. I figure this will last until the MBP gets updated and I can switch. Otherwise i would have kept this for another year.

    But going from a 2006 2.16 ATI x1600 to a 2011 2.6 GeForce 330 (340) will be SA-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
     
  11. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

    Mr. Chewbacca

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Location:
    Dallas TX
    #11
    I must upgrade, I have a Mac book air* by air I don't mean that cool looking thin book I mean air as in not existent :rolleyes:

    I am the definition of upgrade customer my iPod became a 2g iPhone, to an iPhone4, to a time capsule, to an iPad, just got Apple TV and soon.... My first Mac. I have the cash waiting and don’t actually need it as my pc works just fine for what I have to do. The Mac is for what I don’t even know I can do yet. Maybe I'll get into video editing.

    I'm just waiting because I can. I fully intend to keep what ever I get for a very long time and will agree with this thread next year :)
     
  12. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

    vipergts2207

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #12
    We should actually see a 425m or 525m in the 2011 MBP.:D
     
  13. deeesea macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2010
    #13
    really wish i bought a 2007 mbp when i was shopping for a laptop in university. I still love the design of that thing more than my current laptop. Dang if i had a 2007 15 incher i'd never switch it until it's in pieces.

    But, still like my 15 inch right now, and i don't plan to upgrade...unless they bring back the old design with SB (HA! fat chance).

    Jealous of all your pre-UB MBPs. Srsly jealous. :(
     
  14. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #14
    I hear you fully on that note. I work in Pro Tools most of the time when I'm working on my MBP. And when I first got the 13", I was fine with it. I realized it wasn't ideal, but it was perfectly workable. But recently I've been working quite a lot hooked up to a 23" monitor, and when I have to mix on the 13" alone, I admit it annoys me quite a lot. Constantly scrolling around sucks when you need to take a look at all your audio tracks together at once without making them so small you don't know what's what.

    But I usually am hooked up to that external monitor when I'm doing the heaviest work, so I'm ok with it.

    Ideally, I'll keep this 13" no matter what. It's also my first Mac, so there is some serious sentimental value. As much as you can have for a computer anyway. It's just been very good to me. In fact, it just survived a ceiling leak into my studio where it was covered in water. It survived without any issue.

    But I can't really afford to buy a upper-tier MBP without selling off the 13" first. 2 MacBook Pros just isn't needed. So the 13" stays.
     
  15. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #15
    I'm probably going to upgrade my mid-2007 to a 2010 i5 or i7. I'm not real gungho on waiting 2-3 months for SB, and then still not be confident that all bugs have been worked out.

    The jump from my model to the 2010 model should be noticeable enough to satisfy my urge for better performance, especially if I then put in a SSD.
     
  16. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
  17. Biscotti macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    #17

    That would be even better. Company of Heroes, and BIA Hell's Highway on Max Graphics... I bought BIA HH last year on steam and haven't played it yet because the X1600 couldn't even run it on low!

    Games I cant play now:
    SC2
    BIA HH
    STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
    Crysis (Made my GPU smoke)
    MW2
    and more games I prob forgot about


    I'm salivating right now.
     
  18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2010
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #18
    Upgrade now...I can play SC2
     
  19. Pooki macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    Location:
    Belgium
    #19
    I think lots of people wait for/upgrade to SB, just for the sake of "being the coolest kid on the block"..you know?

    They often don't even need half of the performance, but they want the latest and greatest.. (some people do of course, and kudos to you!)

    I'm just like, if you don't need all that extra sparkle, why bother waiting?
    Of course it's always exciting to find out what's in those new MBPs,
    but that doesn't mean the previous gen is ancient and worthless..
     
  20. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #20
    Are you serious? I've got a 2007 MBP and it's in the Apple store right now getting a new logic board because the GPU went out. I wish I had the CNC billet aluminum Unibody MBP.
     
  21. altair7 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2004
    #21
    Don't be. You can't pick up one of the older MBPs if it has a cd in it. If you tried, the cd would crunch as the laptop bends and possibly spit out/scratch the cd.
     
  22. zodqyv macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    #22
    I bought a boatload of new Macs in 2010 so I am in no hurry at all. If something really awesome comes out in 2011 then I may buy it, but I am sure not pacing the carpet waiting. We'll see when we see. Besides, the next big jump in technology I am waiting for won't ship until 2013 (Haswell).
     
  23. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

    murdercitydevil

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Location:
    california
    #23
    I'm still unsure about whether or not I'll upgrade. However, my MBP has lately developed a screen hinge clicking sound which would require a trip to the Apple store to fix (I tried taking it apart and loosening the screws a bit but to no avail). I feel like if the upgrade is something amazing (which it won't be IMO) and I lose very little money in upgrading, I will do it rather than go fix the screen thing and keep my current machine.
     
  24. creeman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #24
    I feel like I should upgrade, because I think I could benefit from the increase in performance (do lots of video editing). But, I more than likely wont. I just bought a 2010 15" and dropped $2500 on it, so I will make it last a couple of years at least before upgrading. If I could get most of my money back by selling this one, then I would, but I dont think I will get enough for it.
     
  25. Apple 26.2 Contributor

    Apple 26.2

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    Location:
    What up, 212?!
    #25
    I'm waiting for the refresh... giving the old one to the wife.
     

Share This Page