The UnOfficial "My iP4 Won't Drop Bars" Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneHome, Jul 1, 2010.

1. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

If you cannot replicate the antenna issue on your iPhone 4 please take a couple of seconds out and drop me a +1 in this thread.

I must say that in my home I can replicate the dropped bars if I really try but everywhere else (work, driving, gym) I can't seem to make it happen, no matter what I try. This leads me to believe that it has much more to do with Tower Signal strength than a design flaw. For that reason, I'll get the ball rolling with a +1

I am not trying to start a war here, so please do not comment with rude remarks. Let's compile a civilized tally sans the ever-so-popular Poll threads.

Why do I care? I'd like to use the forthcoming information for a podcast discussion and my youtube channel.

Update
    My phone at work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US0bd6ZNUP0
    My Phone at home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAt8H110kSk

2 Totally diff scenarios - Can Anybody Help Me Explain This?

2. Stay Tuned macrumors member

So you start a thread thats supposed to only be for people who don't suffer the dropped bars, yet you do in fact suffer from it? Makes no sense at all to me.

And to prove you don't drop bars, go to work and record a video using this grip to prove it doesn't drop bars. All you have to do is hold it for 15 seconds, record it, and put it on youtube.

[​IMG]

3. _Matt macrumors 6502

Nothing happening to mine with or without the bumper. I've been driving around LA with it and I only dropped one call thinking it was me only to find out it was my friend's Verizon BlackBerry in NY.

I've had better reception with the 4 than my 3G but that thing took a beating over two years.

4. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

Here we go...buddy, I clearly said that it only happens in my home. Anywhere else I go I cannot replicate it. This leads me to believe that it's a tower signal issue. I just want to know how many other people are out there that cannot make it happen, as I can't (except in my home).

5. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

+1 - no issues for me. I've tried to replicate it.

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

thats cause the baseband either was coded crappy or has a bug when you hold the phone and touch the antenna the signal drops. thats cause the baseband thinks its loosing a signal but really isnt and drops the bars. if you have a really strong signal it doesnt matter if the baseband was made by a 5 year old (not really but)

7. bwhite850 macrumors newbie

Even with 1 bar of service, my hand wrapped around the entire phone (and covering the black strip on left side) I cannot replicate this problem. Received my phone yesterday, 6/30.

On a side note, where I have 1 bar now I have always had No Service, moved here May 1st and last night was the first time I could send/recieve texts without walking all over the house trying to get a bar so I could quickly hit send.

8. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

I've tried multiple times to replicate the antenna issue everyone has to no avail. I've wrapped my hands around the whole phone and don't drop a bar. Live in Upstate NY Saratoga region if anyone else here is in the same boat

9. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

My iPhone 4 gets great signal and reception as long as I dont touch it.

10. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

No issues for me :D And i'm not recording any video however i will say this, I paid 649 dollars for my iPhone because i wasn't elgible for an upgrade so if my iPhone was not working i would be pissed.

But mine is working and the only person i ever have to provide proof of anything too is my mother and the awesome lord jesus not some faceless being on a message board who adds nothing to my life. Anyone else can kick rocks :D

11. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

12. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

You have naturally low conductivity. Maybe your skin is very dry.

13. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

Who knows.. But it's weird because we recently had a flood in my office which still has it feeling pretty damp in here. At home the air is blasting and it's impossible to get sweaty.

Anyways.. Wow, you've been a member since '02? Don't see many of you guys around these parts.

14. MrMinor macrumors 6502

+1

I have tried hard to replicate it. My hands are usually pretty moist too. I do live in one of the few areas where AT&T has good coverage (MA), but even so I have not had a problem with dropped bars.

15. craziplaya21 macrumors newbie

This article will explain your situation

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

16. chembox macrumors 6502a

Do one of you guys mind taking out your SIM card and showing if the gold contacts are touching the tray, if you're not having issues with reception?

17. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Nice videos...maybe it's just me, but I've been trying to notice how I actually hold my phone and I never hold it that way.

My hand would be right up against my face instead of the phone during a call...even when typing in data, at worst I have it flat on my palm.

It would be nice if I could get a new phone to do my own test....:mad:

18. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

I've mentioned that before too. Get ready for the "it's all about our data speeds while holding it". Thanks for the compliment.

19. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

+1

No problems here, either at work (weak signal in a highrise) or at home (OK signal in a highrise). Also no dropped calls yet.

20. Wasabi1264 macrumors newbie

I was at the Apple Store today to get a bumper for my iPhone which is currently being shipped. On every single display iPhone, I could not get it to drop even one bar. Held the phone every way possible. I also checked for scratches on the back, because I figure display iphones must get them...No scratches anywhere on any of the devices.

Now maybe it's a strong signal, so it's not going to drop, but none of the 10 or so display models had the problem.

21. fishepa macrumors regular

Just got mine today and as soon as I touch the phone the bars drop.

22. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

2 different 16g IP4s here (Dallas area). One from 6/24, one delivered today.

I can't get either one to drop bars or wifi either at work or at home. Far better reception at home than my 3GS too.

EDIT: forgot to add that where I work the AT&T signal is blasting 5 bars hot all the time. At home, it's barely 3 bars at the best of times and usually only 1.

23. f00f macrumors 65816

Likewise. I went to an Apple store and did the same tests with one display model. Not one bar dropped. One of the Apple store reps let me try it on her phone as well and no bars dropped there either. Mind you, this store is in an indoor mall where there's generally very crappy AT&T service, but all the phones in the store have 5 bars. I'm convinced there's a microcell within the store to keep the signals peaked on the phone.

On the two phones I acquired at Best Buy yesterday (for the Mrs. and I), both will happily drop from 5 to 1 bar when death-gripped. Doesn't matter where I am, the bars drop. Tried at home, at work, and various other locations throughout the day. Same results each time. That said, I'd like to test the death-grip at the Apple store which clearly is in some sort of bubble that makes it immune to death-gripping effects.

24. schoff0310 macrumors member

schoff0310

No bars dropping for me....I live in Delray Beach, Florida and I have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! Great reception everywhere I go, except in some doctors offices where everyone has reception problems.

Love this phone!

25. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

No reception issues for me whatsoever.

OK I just did that. Here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c4hiRmaiKw (I know you meant that for the OP but nonetheless, I wanted to record a video of my reception issue-free iPhone anyway).