The upside to not getting a Sept 19 delivery..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmelrose, Sep 12, 2014.

1. jmelrose macrumors regular

So knowing that I won't have the phone in hand or likely even be in transit for at least a week after launch, I have to thank Apple for forcing me to wait and giving me the opportunity to cancel my 6+ order if I get one in-hand and prefer a smaller phone. My one concern with the + was the size (I'm also wondering if the additional pixels but same processor/clock as the 6 will be a hit on performance), so I'll have time to read reviews and be a bit more informed. No downside there, and my instant gratification addiction wasn't about to let me wait until after they were released and wait 4-6 weeks for a phone after launch.

No snark intended... I really am glad that fate/Apple forced my delayed gratification but will permit me to be less anxious about the model I chose by the time it gets into my hands.

2. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

another upside:

i'll have my new phantomskinz to protect my new phone from day one! usually i have to buy some cheap case until my real case or skin comes. not this year!

3. jmelrose thread starter macrumors regular

True, I didn't consider that. I just planned to get a leather Apple case. Maybe spigen will have something available by then, although it seems like it would be a VERY fast turnaround...

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

and you wont have the aggravation of trying to register your phone while Apple/AT&T servers are getting bombarded.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I had ordered a leather case to go with my phone, but then I remembered the experience I had with the original iPhone and a case, and how any little bit of dust would embed between the phone and case, and cause scratches. And I ended up canceling that part of the order. No thanks.

With any luck, ZAGG and similar vendors will have clear protective full body skins that I can apply instead, by the time I get my 6+ as well.

6. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

The downside is that you won't be able to stay off of MacRumors on the 19th and seeing all of the pics/posts of those getting their deliveries will negate all of your "upsides" all at once.

I know, I'm a stinker.

7. mwhals macrumors 6502

I did not preorder. I prefer to wait for my preferred case to be available.

8. pssmith84 macrumors regular

Spigen has some stuff available. Don't go to their site though, go to amazon. I ordered a Slim Armor for my 6 Plus through amazon, and shipping from Spigen, and it was $14.99 with shipping. Spigen website it's $29.99 plus shipping.

9. wesker macrumors member

Being forced to keep your current iPhone 5S longer, thus losing out on resale value.

10. jmelrose thread starter macrumors regular

Well a bit thumbs up and thanks to all those who took the time to prove that on the Macrumors forum, there's no positive thought or sentiment that can't be squashed with just a few drops of effort.

Thanks for the Spigen news. I'll have to look and see. I'm just a bit suspect of cases made for a product that the manufacturers hadn't actually seen yet...

11. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

I know, right?

Worst. Forum. Ever.

[​IMG]

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Lol, now that I'm using Next and not subsidy, I'm not even sure why I put myself through the hassle of last night's pre-order. It's not like I felt the need to be the first one to have it. :eek:

I guess I just got so used to trying to maximize my subsidy that I always got my phones on launch day. That way, I'm not paying AT&T several months worth of subsidies with no device to show for it. :rolleyes:

13. tb12 macrumors newbie

I ordered the 4.7". How can anyone comfortably fit a 5.5" phablet in their pocket :confused: ??

14. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

Come on OP, even you don't believe there's an upside to waiting longer for the new iPhone.

15. JButtonMCL macrumors member

exactly.

Hes trying to make himself feel better since he wasn't able to access the system LOL :rolleyes:

16. 3squirrels macrumors newbie

Yea, keep trying to tell yourself how great it is that you'll have to wait :rolleyes: Whatever helps.

17. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

In a way this is the downside of pre-ordering something before anyone has taken a detailed look. Last year's launch did not include a pre-order period, so the online ordering coincided with the in-store launch. As such, I was able to read the reviews of the 5s before making the purchase. Anandtech's comprehensive review helped convince me to opt for the 5s over the 5c.

If the pre-order had started a week earlier, before the reviews came out, I very well might have gone with the 5c and regretted that choice. Or if I stayed undecided until after the reviews came out, the wait time would have stretched into October.

Even though the lack of a pre-order last year meant that no online orders would arrive until days after retail store sales started, I was okay with waiting a few extra days. At that juncture, I was certain that I had made the right choice. Gotta feel for people deciding between the 6 and 6+, and having to make that decision without benefit of a live demo or even a trusted review.

18. dagored macrumors 65816

i agree with the OP I tried for 30 minutes this morning and said "forget it". I will try to get one next Friday, but if not, I will also read reviews on the speed comparisons of the 6 and 6+.

If I do score a 6+ at my local AT&T, the manager told me my 5 was worth $200. Not even Gazelle would give met that, and it comes right off the $399 for the 64 gig.

19. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

[​IMG] Thats how

20. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

My delivery date for a pre-order today is OCTOBER 28th. If they are available sooner at an Apple Store I'll jump on it and cancel my order.

Having to wait also means you get to read first-hand user reviews and see any warts/problems with the new model. Still time to change your mind if Apple screws the pooch.

21. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Did not pre-order. Hitting Cl next year May to get a 6+ dirt cheap

22. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

I don't think the size difference is that big from the 4.7 to the 5.5 that it wont fit in your pocket?

23. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I held/played with a 5.5" case at AT&T today. Its really too big with any case on it.

24. Paul S macrumors regular

You're wrong. Cut off for optimal pocket fitment on a standard garment is anything 5.99"x2.99" and under. This is why I'm getting all of my pockets modified (for the delivery of my Plus on 9/19).

25. davefromca macrumors 6502

There is NO upside. If I dont have my iphone on Sep 19, goodbye cruel world...