Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
What size, color combo do you think will sell out fastest? 64GB or 256Gb Silver and or black?
[doublepost=1506900356][/doublepost]
So this is my big question. I plan to pre-order at midnight on Oct 27th, however the wife and I will be on a Royal Caribbean cruise on that day and will be somewhere in international waters between Jamaica and Mexico. Luckily Royal Caribbean have high speed internal plans available, and I have already pre-purchased a voom plan that allows 3 devices to be connected at the same time with high speed internet and streaming. I will have my phone, ipdad and laptop connected at that time with the phone using the apple store app, the ipad using the Verizon store app, and the laptop on the apple site, and between the wife and I we will be banging the refresh buttons on all three. Seeing we will be in International waters, will we even be allowed to connect to the US Apple store and purchase from there, or do we have to set-up a VPN of some sort? Any tips and advice please?

Not sure about VPN.... but I wouldnt use a computer I would 100% Download the Apple Store app pick you iPhone X you want and click the "Heart" Favorite button on the top right so when pre-order day comes you can check out fast and hopefully snag one.

craftEcowgirl

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
What size, color combo do you think will sell out fastest? 64GB or 256Gb Silver and or black?

Not sure about VPN.... but I wouldnt use a computer I would 100% Download the Apple Store app pick you iPhone X you want and click the "Heart" Favorite button on the top right so when pre-order day comes you can check out fast and hopefully snag one.

App has no way to favorite :(

69bb72f0e2e72e232bc342d2b5323fa2.jpg

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011

The problem with this is, you can only do one phone at a time on apple store at least this fast method.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
im debating. should i return my iphone 8 plus 256gb and wait for the X? im so tempted to do so

I have an 8 Plus and I’m returning it to wait for the X. The Plus is just too heavy for me so it made my decision easy. Unfortunately, I have to use a tiny 5S until the X arrives. I’m not sure how long I can standing using such a small phone. I think you may need to at least try the X before choosing one. Good luck!

SuperZay'N

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
I have an 8 Plus and I’m returning it to wait for the X. The Plus is just too heavy for me so it made my decision easy. Unfortunately, I have to use a tiny 5S until the X arrives. I’m not sure how long I can standing using such a small phone. I think you may need to at least try the X before choosing one. Good luck!

thanks for the advice. the only reason im thinking about switching is because i like the full screen of the x and also i feel like i wasted a upgrade on the 8 plus. im not gonna sit here and act like i splurged and bought it outright because i didnt i paid 75 upfront for the 8 plus. so i might as well get the best thats gonna be available and thats the gonna be the x

NCLeeuw

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
This is what I'm worried about as well! They may over-promise and under-deliver. If I was the first person on their list, I'd probably feel pretty comfortable. But I'm not sure how they can preorder for the 15th person on their list faster than the person could do it themselves the first minute preorders are available. The question I guess is if Apple cares more about a preorder from a Verizon store than they care about a preorder from a random person like me.
*BUMP*

Ok, I also got a very similar offer and am on the list with a supposed guaranteed release date availability. So, do Verizon employees have the ability to put orders in to the system before the general pre-order opens for the X? I am also very curious if anyone could share any knowledge or experience on this. I have searched a great deal to try and find more information and keep ending up here. Thank you in advance!

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
*BUMP*

Ok, I also got a very similar offer and am on the list with a supposed guaranteed release date availability. So, do Verizon employees have the ability to put orders in to the system before the general pre-order opens for the X? I am also very curious if anyone could share any knowledge or experience on this. I have searched a great deal to try and find more information and keep ending up here. Thank you in advance!

To be honest, I do not think they do. I do not work for Verizon, but last year when I pre-ordered my 7+ the guy told me I was his first costumer and orders had just opened up. So Verizon's internal systems won't allow pre-orders till 12:00 Midnight.

Reactions: NCLeeuw

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
*BUMP*

I happened to stumble across something similar over the weekend. I walked into a Verizon authorized reatailer store called Russel-cellular in New York City. The store manager was taking down iphone X written orders using a notepad. He said that his store has access to a bulk ordering system through Verizon, although the catch is he has to also wake up in the early morning.ike all of us which he will do. He mentioned that the system goes online at 2:00am EST we’re he can start loading the orders 1 by 1 and then mass order in a single shot after that when allowed. I assume at 3am EST. The store manager told me he could guatantee a home for me on launch day to be collected in-store. I think I was #11 on the list. All he needed was my name, number, and Verizon security code, as well as size and color of the iPhone requested. He did a quick check on his system to make sure my line was eligible, and told me he would take care of the rest. He did mention that they would call me the day before to confirm everything.

I am still going to try pre-order the phone myself at 3am EST though, but this will be my fall back option. Doesn’t hurt to try does it? I have also decided to add 2 extra lines to my plan. I will use 1 to order through the apple store app, 1 through the Verizon app, and leaving the primary line in the store manager’s hands :)

Last edited:

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I happened to stumble across something similar over the weekend. I walked into a Verizon authorized reatailer store called Russel-cellular on 873 8th Avenue in New York City. The store manager was taking down iphone X written orders using a notepad. He said that his store has access to a bulk ordering system through Verizon, although the catch is he has to also wake up in the early morning.ike all of us which he will do. He mentioned that the system goes online at 2:00am EST we’re he can start loading the orders 1 by 1 and then mass order in a single shot after that when allowed. I assume at 3am EST. The store manager is Ramon Romero, and he told me he could guatantee a home for me on launch day to be collected in-store. I think I was #11 on the list. All he needed was my name, number, and Verizon security code, as well as size and color of the iPhone requested. He did a quick check on his system to make sure my line was eligible, and told me he would take care of the rest. He did mention that they would call me the day before to confirm everything.

I am still going to try pre-order the phone myself at 3am EST though, but this will be my fall back option. Doesn’t hurt to try does it? I have also decided to add 2 extra lines to my plan. I will use 1 to order through the apple store app, 1 through the Verizon app, and leaving the primary line in Ramon’s hands :)

Humm, Maybe I need to check with a independent Verizon store.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I happened to stumble across something similar over the weekend. I walked into a Verizon authorized reatailer store called Russel-cellular on 873 8th Avenue in New York City. The store manager was taking down iphone X written orders using a notepad. He said that his store has access to a bulk ordering system through Verizon, although the catch is he has to also wake up in the early morning.ike all of us which he will do. He mentioned that the system goes online at 2:00am EST we’re he can start loading the orders 1 by 1 and then mass order in a single shot after that when allowed. I assume at 3am EST. The store manager is Ramon Romero, and he told me he could guatantee a home for me on launch day to be collected in-store. I think I was #11 on the list. All he needed was my name, number, and Verizon security code, as well as size and color of the iPhone requested. He did a quick check on his system to make sure my line was eligible, and told me he would take care of the rest. He did mention that they would call me the day before to confirm everything.

I am still going to try pre-order the phone myself at 3am EST though, but this will be my fall back option. Doesn’t hurt to try does it? I have also decided to add 2 extra lines to my plan. I will use 1 to order through the apple store app, 1 through the Verizon app, and leaving the primary line in Ramon’s hands :)

You just blasted the manage's name.

NCLeeuw

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
I happened to stumble across something similar over the weekend. I walked into a Verizon authorized reatailer store called Russel-cellular in New York City. The store manager was taking down iphone X written orders using a notepad. He said that his store has access to a bulk ordering system through Verizon, although the catch is he has to also wake up in the early morning.ike all of us which he will do. He mentioned that the system goes online at 2:00am EST we’re he can start loading the orders 1 by 1 and then mass order in a single shot after that when allowed. I assume at 3am EST. The store manager told me he could guatantee a home for me on launch day to be collected in-store. I think I was #11 on the list. All he needed was my name, number, and Verizon security code, as well as size and color of the iPhone requested. He did a quick check on his system to make sure my line was eligible, and told me he would take care of the rest. He did mention that they would call me the day before to confirm everything.

I am still going to try pre-order the phone myself at 3am EST though, but this will be my fall back option. Doesn’t hurt to try does it? I have also decided to add 2 extra lines to my plan. I will use 1 to order through the apple store app, 1 through the Verizon app, and leaving the primary line in the store manager’s hands :)

Thank you much for the feedback. This is very much in line with what I was told or at least got out of the conversation. Not sure I will go the route of adding extra lines, but wanted to figure out my best chance. :) I was also told I would get a call the evening before.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

While the idea of having the store orders the phone for you to have a good chance of having one in the launch day, it is not a wise idea because you gave your pin to others and your pin and account now are vulnerable for any cyberattacks. I understand how important for some to have the greatest and latest IT toys or gadgets but sacrificing personal security information by exposing it to other voluntarily is not really a good idea in this era and you cannot defend yourself when any bad situation occurs and you want to sue the other party due to the other negligence because you do it voluntarily. Think twice before giving others your personal information.

Reactions: ssl0408

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
While the idea of having the store orders the phone for you to have a good chance of having one in the launch day, it is not a wise idea because you gave your pin to others and your pin and account now are vulnerable for any cyberattacks. I understand how important for some to have the greatest and latest IT toys or gadgets but sacrificing personal security information by exposing it to other voluntarily is not really a good idea in this era and you cannot defend yourself when any bad situation occurs and you want to sue the other party due to the other negligence because you do it voluntarily. Think twice before giving others your personal information.

I used to work for AT&T and the employees can be trusted. The kind of background check cellular companies go through should ensure their integrity to keep personal information private. Also, the customer information is more than likely kept in the manager office behind locked doors. I’m so over the people that sound like they think the CIA is after them.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

I went to my local indecent Verizon Authorized Retailer. They put me on a Pre-Order list. The Person I talked to is the store manager & he told me I do not need to pre-order on the 27th as he took down what color & size I wanted and he said that they will pre-order all of the phones at once. He said they usually stay inside the store and when it hits midnight they put in all of the orders at once. He told me clearly Do not Pre-order from Verizon & he said on the 27th in the morning he would call me back to double check everything and make sure everything is all correct and that it he said. Then on launch day November 3rd I just need to come to the store and pay for tax and the upgrade fee and thats it. And he said possibly Verizon could have a promo that waves the upgrade fee or he told me to call CS and ask them to wave it since I am a long time costumer. So, do I trust this guy and not pre-order or do I pre-order ?

NCLeeuw

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
I went to my local indecent Verizon Authorized Retailer. They put me on a Pre-Order list. The Person I talked to is the store manager & he told me I do not need to pre-order on the 27th as he took down what color & size I wanted and he said that they will pre-order all of the phones at once. He said they usually stay inside the store and when it hits midnight they put in all of the orders at once. He told me clearly Do not Pre-order from Verizon & he said on the 27th in the morning he would call me back to double check everything and make sure everything is all correct and that it he said. Then on launch day November 3rd I just need to come to the store and pay for tax and the upgrade fee and thats it. And he said possibly Verizon could have a promo that waves the upgrade fee or he told me to call CS and ask them to wave it since I am a long time costumer. So, do I trust this guy and not pre-order or do I pre-order ?
Yes, this is the same quandary I am in. The fact this story seems pretty consistent between various parts of the country is pretty reassuring though. Just wish someone would post regarding past experience doing this with Verizon and it working out with a high demand phone. Based on what I hear, if it does not work out...I may not have my phone until next year ;)

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Yes, this is the same quandary I am in. The fact this story seems pretty consistent between various parts of the country is pretty reassuring though. Just wish someone would post regarding past experience doing this with Verizon and it working out with a high demand phone. Based on what I hear, if it does not work out...I may not have my phone until next year ;)

This is what I am worried about too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.