The Virtual iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThePublicsDomai, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ThePublicsDomai macrumors newbie

Hey folks. Having lost my job because of our bad economy, I've found myself with too much free time. My free time has given birth to a creation that should never have existed - The Virtual iPhone. I invite you all to follow the below link to gaze in wonder at one of the worlds greatest wastes of time and ask "why?". Because my javascript is abit crude, I only wrote with consideration towards Internet Explorer's loose non-standards standards. If you are currently using FF or Chrome or Safari or whatever, please copy the link into your IE or it won't. I ask that you take your time to enjoy my creation. Double tap the home button from the lockscreen to see the iPod controls appear. Adjust the volume. Slide the "slide to unlock" slider only partially and then marvel as it slides back. I know you will appreciate my springboard icon "spring" animation as well as my app launching animation. Flick the springboard icons from page 1 to page 2 and then back again. Hit the Safari icon. Touch the Address or Search field and watch the familiar top bar adjustment animation flow. Open up PapiJump and play a quick game. Currently Safari and Papi are the only working apps and, as you'll see, my PapiJump blows. But I think any diehard iPhone fans will appreciate the subtle measures I took to simulate the iPhone experience. Give it a few seconds to load as it is a graphically robust beast. Thank you and please let me know what you think. Feel free to use words like "artist", "genius", "lifechanging" or "religious experience". If you like it, please tell a friend.

http://thepublicsdomain.com/VirtualiPhone.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRg0GHMXvMo

2. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I have a Mac so no IE for me. But I'll check it out on a PC when I can lol :)

I hate IE. I'm a web designer and had a bad run in in the past. Very bad. It went something like this....

What the f^#& are you doing!?? Do you want me to come over there and trash your margins!?? DO YOU WANT ME TO TRASH YOUR MARGINS!??? No! No I will NOT calm down!!!! You - YES! You ARE trashing my margins!! ... what's that!?? You wanted to add 10 pixels! OOOOHHHHH GOOOOOOOOOD, for you!!!!!! I've never had a browser behave like this!! Steve will you tell him something?? WELL SOMEONE SHOULD BE WATCHING HIM!! Take a second and THINK about what you're doing!! You're just walking around all over the Internet, DA DADA DADA DADAAAAAA, it's &*#$ing distracting!!! Can we get Tom to put this on please? No!! No you don't know what it's like to work with standards!!! &$*#'s sake you're amateur!!!!

I did not apologize after.

:D

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Interesting... but altogether pointless. You really must have some serious free time on your hands.

IE only? Boy, did you pick the wrong forum to spam. :rolleyes:

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

IE only?

<facepalm>

IE sucks. It's horrid. I always use a reset stylesheet, and I still end up spending about 10-20% of my time chasing down IE bugs.

Edit: Also, you do realize this has been done before, right? Hell, right after the iPhone was introduced people started making JS mockups...

5. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

Most of us wont be able to view it because we have mac's

6. ThePublicsDomai thread starter macrumors newbie

RoboCop001 - Freakin' Hilarious

Everyone else -
    Wow, I totally thought that there was IE for Macs? Oh, well. I know IE sucks but when I learned the little I know IE was pretty much the only browser on Windows. Yeah, I know Windows sucks too. And I'm sure its been done before. I searched and all I could find were really crappy imitations. Mine is REALLY good!

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

There was, but it's been discontinued. Kinda a moot point too, since it used an entirely different engine.

With one little flaw: it doesn't work on most browsers, and isn't usable for some 30-40% of users...

8. ThePublicsDomai thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. The browser compatibility is a big flaw but to be fair, I made this for my own amusement and sharing it was only an afterthought.

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

After I tried the Virtual iPhone, my IE starts up, and closes immediately after.:mad:

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Same here. I opened IE 7 the pasted the link. About 10 seconds in it crashed.

So now I got it working, and it's kinda lame. How are some of the accelerometer based games and features going to work?

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I have IE7 as well, although after it crashed, Internet Explorer still doesn't stay open for more that a few seconds. What was your strategy to fix it?

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I just tried again. Lol. Don't open it right into IE. Open IE and past the link.

13. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

That's the problem, I can't open Internet Explorer at all.

14. ThePublicsDomai thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you kidding me?! Ok, it didn't break your IE. Its just a website with images and javascript. If it crashed, your computer must be really old because I run it on a 5 y/o laptop just fine. And "how are the accelerometer games supposed to work"? What?? They're not!!!!!! Its not real!!!!! :)

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I didn't "break" my IE, nor did I say that I did. My computer is less than a year old. Vista Ultimate.
    After opening up IE (Which worked perfectly at the time) I pasted the address and it loaded, IE crashed, now it won't open. There.

16. ThePublicsDomai thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I apoligize for misquoting you. I would recommend restarting your computer or going into the task manager and killing the process "iexplore.exe". Usually that works for me. It does download alot of images in order to run so it may have just been too much. Sorry for the inconvience.

17. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Tried that already, apology accepted:)

18. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well when it says Papi Jump now works, it sounds like it's playable other than just opening it.

19. ThePublicsDomai thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I gotcha. I owe you an apology as well. I set PapiJump to pickup the left and right arrow keys to work around the accelerometer.

20. soccerb12ku macrumors member

dude this thing is quite amazing i have no clue how you did this but it is very cool...

21. ThePublicsDomai thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I put alot of hard work and time into it. I know it has no purpose but I am proud of it and it means alot when other iPhone enthusiasts appreciate it.

22. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I just checked it out here at work.

Nice work! Very well done!

I'm guessing only some of the programs are actually the full program, yes? I've only tried out a couple of them. Cool that you got Safari built though, :)

Nice!

23. diemos macrumors 6502

24. ThePublicsDomai thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, RoboCop001. PapiJump works too (kinda) with the arrow keys on your actual keyboard.

25. ThePublicsDomai thread starter macrumors newbie

You make it work with Firefox, Damn it! Its a freakin' webpage, view the freakin' source and then YOU change it. If you want, I will send all of the original files I used and you can go through each line of the code and modify it to work in FF. :)