Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BothBarsOn

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
They do make great quality products that look beautiful, and are marketing geniuses with a great OS though.... That's how they get you :cool:

If someone does a great job of selling me a beautiful-looking quality product with a great OS, I don't feel like I've been "got". :)

Edit: which is not to say that I disagree with the notion that Apple has fallen way, way behind in terms of pure specs

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Personally, I can't stand the "if it will run all of your apps, buy the current model" responses. (or keep it if you've already purchased it) Most people expect 3+ years of use out of a computer. (18-24mo for me) The real question you should ask yourself is "will this do what I need 18-36mo from now." Given the current MBP/MBA lines are already using 2+ year old technology, the answer is most likely not. (unless safari and mail are the only two apps you ever open)

Anywho, I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. I'm beyond frustrated with Apple and honestly considering a vaio Z. The fact that many of us require an update and apple will not give a time frame or even a slight hint as to new specs, makes me not want to own an Apple computer. I've become pretty dependant on OSX, but a move back to windows (and investing in software that I know I'll always have proper hardware to run) might be in my best interests. Ticks me off that apple has no problems leaving their notebooks in the dust to focus on some device that they're trying to find a market for.

Nice post. I agree that people need to look to the future and not what a computer does right now. 2 GB of RAM isn't even enough for right now, so how in the hell is it going to be okay in two years? People need to stop buying the MBA until it meets their needs well into the future. Right now, the MBA is exactly what it was in October 2008 - that's a problem.

Apple definitely knows people are used to its OS X and like it, and it's a smart tactic to use except when it destroys the relationship between customer and company. Steve Jobs doesn't give a damn about our experience, all he cares about is his stock price. He is incredibly innovative, but he thinks he knows all people when in truth he only knows his own mind. People defend this arrogant jerk all of the time and look up to him as though he were a God. He isn't even a good leader. He is a great innovator and perfect leader of innovation for Apple, but that Apple Board is running the company and it's for the best. We have a great balance of power within the company, and it doesn't matter to the shareholders that Jobs looks like the supreme leader... all that matters is the current and future price of AAPL.

In the end, we would all be better off to get used to both OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7 and not put "all of our eggs in one basket." The point is Windows 7 is currently nearly as capable as OS X, so if Apple cannot fulfill our demands, a PC will. And Apple may not be considering the repercussions of its failure to adapt to an innovative world that wants more than "it just works." They want it works as well on OS X as it does on Windows 7, and it's just as fast and capable in ALL respects.

Just my 2 Cents: I don't think the heigt of the Vaio Z is a problem, even if it's not as thin as a MBA or Vaio X. :) Build quality is fine.

The weight is by far the most important factor. The Vaio Z is essentially the exact same size as the MBP, yet as lightweight as the MBA, yet more powerful than both the MBP and MBA put together... and probably 35% more powerful than the next MacBook "PRO." Imagine that, a consumer product light years ahead of the MB "PRO." The "Pro" branding is really a JOKE. Sort of like the 21-year-old "GENIUS" that I have to go through to get my Apple product fixed. The same "Genius" that is an arrogant and cocky jerk that knows less about any Apple product than the average forum member here.

My prediction for the Rev D MBA (if they even make one) is Scottsdale gets one, takes it home, opens it, and immediately goes to Macrumors to start the "Can't wait for Rev E!" thread.

Ha ha. Actually, if it has two RAM slots, more drive space options, glass trackpad and an Nvidia 310m, I promise to not look forward for six months. That is a pretty big promise, but then I doubt Apple will cover those four requests.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
The "Pro" branding is really a JOKE. Sort of like the 21-year-old "GENIUS" that I have to go through to get my Apple product fixed. The same "Genius" that is an arrogant and cocky jerk that knows less about any Apple product than the average forum member here.
I have suffered more than my fair share of frustration at the hands of a variety of help desk "experts" whose arrogance significantly exceded their knowledge. Nevertheless, lately I have had pretty good experience with some of the guys who work behind the Genius Bar at the OKC Apple Store. When my MBP stopped working and I took it in, the Genius who helped me was both courteous and knowledgeable. He quickly diagnosed the problem as a failed logic board and sent it in to the repair center for me. I asked him to note on the repair order my request that the repair center not reimage the hard drive unless absolutely necessary. He did so, so when the machine came back with the new logic board installed the hard drive was as it had been when I brought it in for repair. Fortunately, I had AppleCare so I didn't have to pay out of pocket for it.

Another time, another one of the OKC Apple Store Geniuses helped me figure out how to install more RAM. They have some employees working at the Genius Bar who are not qualified Geniuses but the name tags of the employees tell you who are and who aren't.

Now that I've bragged on them, I'll probably end up hating the encounter the next time I have to consult one of the Geniuses. :)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have suffered more than my fair share of frustration at the hands of a variety of help desk "experts" whose arrogance significantly exceded their knowledge. Nevertheless, lately I have had pretty good experience with some of the guys who work behind the Genius Bar at the OKC Apple Store. When my MBP stopped working and I took it in, the Genius who helped me was both courteous and knowledgeable. He quickly diagnosed the problem as a failed logic board and sent it in to the repair center for me. I asked him to note on the repair order my request that the repair center not reimage the hard drive unless absolutely necessary. He did so, so when the machine came back with the new logic board installed the hard drive was as it had been when I brought it in for repair. Fortunately, I had AppleCare so I didn't have to pay out of pocket for it.

Another time, another one of the OKC Apple Store Geniuses helped me figure out how to install more RAM. They have some employees working at the Genius Bar who are not qualified Geniuses but the name tags of the employees tell you who are and who aren't.

Now that I've bragged on them, I'll probably end up hating the encounter the next time I have to consult one of the Geniuses. :)

The point I was trying to make is that Apple brands these things so highly that how can we not be frustrated when we learn the truth? A MacBook "Pro" is about as Pro as the Apple "Genius" is a true genius. Sure you have some good experiences, but a genius is Einstein not a 21-year-old who knows how to add some RAM to a computer... and a pro computer is not a MBP (certainly any "pro" would be much better off with a Vaio Z). A Mac Pro is more "pro" but it's 14-month-old technology.

Where Apple really needs to keep its products current and relevant is the Pro branding Macs (MBP & MP) and the luxury branding Macs (MBA). A MacBook can keep a C2D and Nvidia GPU, that's from October 2008; it's completely different to sell a premium or pro brand and be so ridiculously far from current and relevant that they're nothing like other Pro or luxury brand competitors.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
The point I was trying to make is that Apple brands these things so highly that how can we not be frustrated when we learn the truth? A MacBook "Pro" is about as Pro as the Apple "Genius" is a true genius. Sure you have some good experiences, but a genius is Einstein not a 21-year-old who knows how to add some RAM to a computer... and a pro computer is not a MBP (certainly any "pro" would be much better off with a Vaio Z). A Mac Pro is more "pro" but it's 14-month-old technology.

Where Apple really needs to keep its products current and relevant is the Pro branding Macs (MBP & MP) and the luxury branding Macs (MBA). A MacBook can keep a C2D and Nvidia GPU, that's from October 2008; it's completely different to sell a premium or pro brand and be so ridiculously far from current and relevant that they're nothing like other Pro or luxury brand competitors.
I agree with you. In fact, the main reason I posted about my good experience with the Apple Store's version of the help desk tech was to point out how unusual it was. Apple didn't invent sales talk and puffing but they certainly aren't above using them.:)

codehead

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
Wonderful Mom

So I visiting my Mom last week and mentioned that I was thinking of getting a MBA so that I could Skype with my 2 year old when I travel for work. She showed up the next day with a 2.13 120SSD MBA for me.

Would your mother like to adopt me?

Paperboy2010

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
HAVE NO FEAR!!! Apple will be announcing new MBP's and MBA's this Tuesday. I know this because I just bought a Sony Z. I was going to wait, but the guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I was at a SonyStyle store looking at the Z's and after going back and forth about the features, he said he would waive the restocking fee (15% within 2 weeks) AND throw in a copy of MS Office Small biz ($250 value) and now I'm typing this message on my new machine. If the new MBA comes out on Tuesday, I'll make an informed decision and if I want to return the Z, then so be it. It is a nice machine and since I'm not the techie a lot of you are, I think it'll be fine for my needs.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
HAVE NO FEAR!!! Apple will be announcing new MBP's and MBA's this Tuesday. I know this because I just bought a Sony Z. I was going to wait, but the guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I was at a SonyStyle store looking at the Z's and after going back and forth about the features, he said he would waive the restocking fee (15% within 2 weeks) AND throw in a copy of MS Office Small biz ($250 value) and now I'm typing this message on my new machine. If the new MBA comes out on Tuesday, I'll make an informed decision and if I want to return the Z, then so be it. It is a nice machine and since I'm not the techie a lot of you are, I think it'll be fine for my needs.

LMAO. Just like my purchases except I actually am sucker enough to wait for the new MBA to be introduced. Please let us know exactly what you think about the Z. Good luck with it.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
I have the first MacBook Air line-up ancient reduced size 1.6GHZ chip.... slow as.... but:

MacBook Air Revision D - Patent Pending ;)
- Glass Screen... incredibly thin sheet to reduce weight and size?
- 4GB DDR3 RAM - 2GB is just slooooowwww
- Minimum 2.0GHZ Core 2 Duo processor... but i7 @ 2.93 Turbo would kickass
- Glass Trackpad
- Stereo Speakers
- New Display-port (can't remember the name) for new 30" ACD which should also be built for the date below ;)
- 2 USB/1 USB and Superdrive built in :)
- 1GB ATI - whatever number means the best - so i jizz in my pants when i play Modern Warfare 2 via Bootcamp :)
- 500GB 7200RPM Standard HDD/256GB SSD at no extra charge ;)
- 8 hour battery life with Wi-Fi and half brightness ;)
- Water pipe cooling system... actually... it heats my room up at uni... scrap that ;)
- Mac OS 10.7 Lion Gold Master just for MacBook Air customers - because we are special
- All this by April 1st (convenient date) :p

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Interesting .. I run a VM, Word, Flock, Firefox, Adium, and iChat simultaneously on my Air with NO issues. I hardly consider that to be 'unacceptable'.

i do... you're running Word and Firefox... Safari and iWork would bring the system and the Virtual Machine to a standstill... and i'm guessing what you are running is on a 2.13GHZ MBA with SSD? :D

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
You're 100% correct...

That's just the thing. The MacBook Pros DO NOT HAVE "Pro" level equipment or components included. The 13" MBP has an Nvidia 9400m. There are so many non-"Pro" PCs that have dedicated graphics, better CPUs, and far more capabilities that are consumer branded. Even the low-end 15" MBP doesn't have dedicated graphics. It gets worse from there... expandability comes with an Express Card/34 port, but Apple removed it from the 15" MBP and never included it in the 13" MBP. Here's the thing. I was looking at a 13" ultraportable Dell Vostro v13 for $449 and it included an ExpressCard/34 port! How is Apple's negligence so severe when it comes to its hardware that being .95" thin is more important than functionality and capabilities of a true Pro. Apple calls the 13" MBP a "Pro" because it has a FireWire Port, yes a FireWire Port and an aluminum case, LMAO! Most "Pros" would tell you that they'll gladly add a half an inch to the MBP to get the capabilities they need. Even the 17" MBP had a low-end mid grade graphics card when introduced with the 9600, but that was clear back fourteen months ago. Why not at least update the graphics? The people that buy the MBPs and are happy are Prosumers, tech enthusiasts, and Mac OS X lovers. I don't know many pro users would actually be happy with an MBP, but it's surely not a professional grade machine in any way... even with its brightest model, the 17" MBP.

The whole thing here is Apple has its customers addicted to its OS and its hardwares' industrial minimalistic looks and appearance. It holds its OS X operating system hostage to outrageous prices. Then it adds "high-end" low cost adds to make the justification for extreme price points; these are things like $1 worth of LED backlights for keyboard, $0.10 worth of glass for silky-smooth trackpad, and an aluminum case that costs less than $5 for raw aluminum. In addition, when the aluminum cased Mac notebooks are dropped they, do not protect the case like plastic or carbon fiber, instead they dent and Apple VOIDS the warranty - in addition, they charge $400 or more for $5 worth of aluminum for replacement of damaged case parts.

I am glad I don't need a "Pro" laptop, because I couldn't live with the MBP as my computer if I needed to do anything "professional." I love the MBA, but I want an update. I want to spend some money and I want my AAPL to rise in value, and it's going to take Mac updates! Apple really is out of line here, in my opinion. I just don't get how some people will go pay full price for hardware that is ten months old. If I had to buy a Mac right now, the iMac or white MB are the only Macs that are a fair value proposition. Come on Apple, update the damn Macs SOON!

in all fairness i never look at cost (not because i have that much money... i'm a independent uni student) when comparing Windows to Apple because the costs increase Tenfold when stuff happens to your Windows Laptop e.g:
- Anti-Virus - £20 a year (if not more)
- OS Discs... up to £250
- Office 2007 - £120
- Breakages/Damages... PhoneBill @50p a minute, even then, no guarantee they will help you fix it
- **** support... no guarantee it will get fixed.... new laptop?
- It's Windows!
- If going for design 1% (not official...) would choose a Windows computer/laptop...

Serv

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
- Office 2007 - £120
Not gonna argue with you about the other costs but you'll have to get a copy of iWork or Office 2008 if you plan on doing any work on your mac. Granted, both are cheaper £71 (iWork) and £109.95 (Office 2008). There's a special discount on the online store as well, so you can get a copy of Office 2008 for £20 less.

First post, anyways, currently subsisting on an HP Mini 2140 with a 17" HP dv9700t for the heaver tasks. I'll be getting my first mac on the latter part of May, I hope the updates will come by then. I think the Air would be a great fit for me if it weren't for the 2 gigs of RAM, really the biggest upgrade I'm looking forward to in Rev D. If Apple somehow overlooks this in their next update, I'd probably settle for a 13" Pro or something.

Have a nice day ^^.

iAmLegend

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
i thought Apple was going to terminate the MBA line due to terrible sales? Have they announced Rev. D's are coming?

I love my MBA, but I could hardly blame Apple for abandoning it and focusing on the iPad (which is projecting 8-10 million sales in 2010 alone.)

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I think the Air would be a great fit for me if it weren't for the 2 gigs of RAM, really the biggest upgrade I'm looking forward to in Rev D. If Apple somehow overlooks this in their next update, I'd probably settle for a 13" Pro or something.
I agree completely with your analysis of the MBA. But for its limited hardwired 2Gb or RAM I would already have one. As it is , though, that unfortunate limitation eliminates the Rev C from further consideration. Like you, I will be interested to see what Rev D brings, if there is a Rev D. Oh, well, maybe Apple will figure out a way make the 13 inch MBP lighter.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
I agree completely with your analysis of the MBA. But for its limited hardwired 2Gb or RAM I would already have one. As it is , though, that unfortunate limitation eliminates the Rev C from further consideration. Like you, I will be interested to see what Rev D brings, if there is a Rev D. Oh, well, maybe Apple will figure out a way make the 13 inch MBP lighter.

I wonder if Apple will abandon the MBA (Oh no!) - but - give the MBP the air form factor, essentially giving us a 13, 15 and maybe even 17 inch MBA. Leave out the superdrive (optional as external), especially since they are so reluctant to adopt Blue Ray. Would be the same move as back than when they left out the Floppy Drive, remember? Everyone shouted bloody murder but they were right. Might be the same with CD/DVD, especially with the trend indicated that they are pushing live streaming/downloads of content. And it might explain the longer time they need to shift the lines...

Arrakeen

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2010

Tuesday before eastern? ;) ...I'm eager to compare but not likely to give back my Z at all. :)

Paperboy2010

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Tuesday before eastern? ;) ...I'm eager to compare but not likely to give back my Z at all. :)

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the Z as well. I wonder how much lighter / smaller it could've been if they didn't put the optical drive in it. I don't really expect to use mine all that much (though I realize it'll be great for movies on flights)

jhgnag

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
Would your mother like to adopt me?

LOL, my mom has bought me a few technology devices she thought I would like... the only time she gets it right is when there's an Apple logo on it.

It was pretty crazy of her to do that. She's an incredible Mom, but shouldn't be spending that kind of money on me.

Well, still not really sure what to do here. The MBA seems to be doing everything I need it to. Aperture seems to be running well (but there is always room for improvement). I am a Windows user with work, so I may have a need to run Windows in the future and have read some of the concerns with the MBA.

So I'm assuming the 14 day return policy is hard & fast. I guess i need to make a decision by Thursday. Here is how I've broken down my options:

-Keep the MBA
-Return the MBA and get a 13" MBP (4MB)
-Return the MBA and hopefully there is 3 lb. MBA or MBP revision offered soon

If I return the MBA, it will cost me $169 for a gamble that a new MBA (or MBA-like MBP) to be released very soon. Of course, it doesn't sound like anyone has any idea when the next release will be, other than it should be soon based on prior history.

What to do.....what to do....

Am I reading posts correctly that most of the time announcements are made on Tuesdays? If so, it would sure make my decision a whole lot easier if they made an announcement tomorrow:)

Serv

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
I wonder if Apple will abandon the MBA (Oh no!) - but - give the MBP the air form factor, essentially giving us a 13, 15 and maybe even 17 inch MBA. Leave out the superdrive (optional as external).
I don't understand (the "Oh no!" part) surely you're interested in the Air because of its form factor and not the "Air" scribbled in the bottom part of the laptop's display in silver whatchamacallit. An MBP in Air form sounds awesome, I'd seriously consider a 15" (if it were around 4-4.5 lbs) if that were the case. I can really see the dedicated graphics card coming in handy.

Have a nice day ^^.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
I don't understand (the "Oh no!" part) surely you're interested in the Air because of its form factor and not the "Air" scribbled in the bottom part of the laptop's display in silver whatchamacallit. An MBP in Air form sounds awesome, I'd seriously consider a 15" (if it were around 4-4.5 lbs) if that were the case. I can really see the dedicated graphics card coming in handy.

Have a nice day ^^.

The "oh no" was a spice of irony as some peopl ehere are convicned that it will be EOL'd soon. I would hate to see that if my other prediction does not come true. I indeed want one since it first came out (but hesitated due to the low specs such as 2 G RAM) for its portability. My travel bag gets heavier and heavier it seems, my 1st gen MBP does not help either.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
The "oh no" was a spice of irony as some peopl ehere are convicned that it will be EOL'd soon. I would hate to see that if my other prediction does not come true. I indeed want one since it first came out (but hesitated due to the low specs such as 2 G RAM) for its portability. My travel bag gets heavier and heavier it seems, my 1st gen MBP does not help either.
Yeah, the MBA's hardwired 2Gb of RAM has been a deal breaker for me, too. That's too bad because its slimness and light weight are both very appealing. As noted in my last post, I am hoping against hope that Apple does something to improve the MBA's memory problems with the next update. As the weeks keep flying by, though, I am beginning to wonder whether Apple will refresh any of its notebook line before summer.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, the MBA's hardwired 2Gb of RAM has been a deal breaker for me, too. That's too bad because its slimness and light weight are both very appealing. As noted in my last post, I am hoping against hope that Apple does something to improve the MBA's memory problems with the next update. As the weeks keep flying by, though, I am beginning to wonder whether Apple will refresh any of its notebook line before summer.

I think this sums it up. Many people are complaining about the lack of memory slots, but the real issue is that there isn't enough memory in the Air. If Apple simply changed the SSD model to 4GB RAM, I'd place my order today. All the other upgrades that have been debated ad nauseam are nice to have but not necessary for me.

Alas, another Tuesday without MacBook Pro/Air upgrades. I wish they were coming soon, but I think Apple is deliberately holding them back during the marketing blitz for the iPad. Perhaps upgrades are coming at WWDC in June. But with a lot of travel scheduled for the next two months, I'd love to get a new Air before that. Apple, take my money, please!

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Base MacBook Air - Core i5-520UM 1.73ghz, 4 GBs RAM, 128 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics, 7 Hour Battery (actually around 6 hours) - $1299

Upgraded MacBook Air - Core i5-540UM 2.0ghz, 4 GBs RAM, 256 GB SSD, ATI Radeon HD 5450, 6 Hour Battery (actually around 5 hours) - $1599

Notes:

-Intel HD Graphics are close in comparison to nVidia 9400
-The combination of UM processors, SSD, Intel Graphics should give better battery life
-ATI Radeon HD 5450 is a pretty good performer, but very very light on the energy
-Prices lower because the cheaper, energy efficient processors, SSD prices are going way down, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.