Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szilske

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Germany
Maybe yes and I am the first one who buys new Apple products if there is a good reason. But for AppleWatch there is no such reason, my Series 5 does everything I need well enough. Battery health is at 65% but it was still OK until last week. I wanted to use it until the battery finally dies and then upgrade to AppleWatch Series X next year.

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
I had to put my Series 5 on the charger around 2PM yesterday because my battery was down to 20%. Watch normally lasts until at least 8PM before it gets that low. Battery drain is insane on the RC

EDIT: Rebooting the watch also uses a ton of battery life for whatever reason

Reactions: Tricky22

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Maybe yes and I am the first one who buys new Apple products if there is a good reason. But for AppleWatch there is no such reason, my Series 5 does everything I need well enough. Battery health is at 65% but it was still OK until last week. I wanted to use it until the battery finally dies and then upgrade to AppleWatch Series X next year.
If your battery health is 65%, it's almost dead and maybe watchos10 has finished the work ...

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I installed the watchOS 10 RC last week and apparently it's the same as the final version. I own an AppleWatch Series 5 and so far I was perfectly happy with it, after a full day at the office I easily had 25%ish left of battery life. I would say it lasted up to 16hrs.

But now, with watchOS 10 my battery life is down to less than 12hrs. What is your exeprience? I hoped that they would fix it with the final release, but they haven't.
I installed the official release last night (never had the beta versions installed). Battery went down rapidly. But after letting it sit on the charger all night, doing whatever it was doing, it seems to be 'normal' today thus far. Took it off the charger at 7:30am and it's currently at 85% at 10:30am, which is about normal for my watch presently (battery is at about "83%" health).

szilske

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Germany
If your battery health is 65%, it's almost dead and maybe watchos10 has finished the work ...
Nah, my glass is always half full and 65% is not almost dead, but almost as good as new 😂

Let's hope you're not right. I expect Series X to be a major upgrade, so I'd like to skip Series 9.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Same as with every watchOS release, give it a few days, reboot watch and issue fixed…
Search here for “watchOS x.x drains battery…” or similar…

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Nah, my glass is always half full and 65% is not almost dead, but almost as good as new 😂

Let's hope you're not right. I expect Series X to be a major upgrade, so I'd like to skip Series 9.
We know that when Apple devices are under 80%, battery is almost dead, it’s not like they have only lost 20% of their life
I have replaced my S5 battery at 80% because it was crashing with heavy usage (running )

aMmOOooR

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
Egypt
Well at least that says I'm not the only one :) Series 5 here, since WatchOS 10 and battery drain is crazy. Battery lasted for a whole day on watchOS 9, I only charged it once a day right after I woke up. Now after the update, battery is down by 10% every single hour. I mean, the day before the update, battery was normal. So obviously it's a 10 thing, let's see what the next update would do. 🤞

Reactions: Diopter

Diopter

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Series 7 here. As with others it looks to be dropping at about 10% per hour, which is twice as fast as before.

If it’s like this tomorrow I guess I’ll do a wipe and restore and see if that helps. Today is my first time ever seeing the 10% low battery warning!

Debauch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
I updated yesterday and damn my battery is taking a beating today. I was getting about 2.5 to three days out of my Ultra. I’m five hours into today and down to 74% so far.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Series 5 here since installing the new update I’ve watched it drop a percent every minute or so. Gone from 100 to 88 percent in about 15 mins.

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
Series 8 here. My battery life has effectively been slashed by 50% or more? I could get two days in between charges which is now just barely one. And on the days I’m not using my watch (as in it’s idling in my backpack or desk), the battery just ticks away like crazy. So annoyed.

Edit: I should note that I’ve been using the RC since last Monday. Nothing has improved.

Reactions: Diopter

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Series 8 here and experiencing the same issues with watchOS 10. I'm also seeing more drain on my phone since going to iOS 17. This has to be a bug of some sort. I think they'll have it patched with one of the .1 updates that always seem to follow a major release. I'd bet with a lot more devices running updated software they'll get more telemetry data and identify the issue quicker than when people were just running betas, I hope anyway. I'm not buying a new watch when the only thing that's changed recently is the software its running.

Wasp14

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
On a series 5, on watchOS9 I’d finish the day with between 60-70%, now it’s around 40-50. It did get better after the first couple of days but it seems like the new processes are draining it faster

Kelly510

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
I installed the watchOS 10 RC last week and apparently it's the same as the final version. I own an AppleWatch Series 5 and so far I was perfectly happy with it, after a full day at the office I easily had 25%ish left of battery life. I would say it lasted up to 16hrs.

But now, with watchOS 10 my battery life is down to less than 12hrs. What is your exeprience? I hoped that they would fix it with the final release, but they haven't.
Same watch, same issue. Last Friday, I ordered Apple Watch series 9. I hope the new watch will perform better.

I have an iPad Pro 3rd generation that is also experiencing battery drain since I updated the iOS to 17.

Dark enV

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
Just updated to WatchOS 10 last night and my Apple Watch Ultra’s battery is dying much quicker than before. Normally I could make it through a full 24 hours and have about 62% battery remaining, it’s only been 17 hours since I charged it and I’m already down to 64%

Reactions: viking_01

flboy44

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
Series 4 here. Battery was good for 22 hours. Since the last beta, fighting to make 16! I have no battery options at all in watch settings!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.