Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Well... you could do drag and drop or open the files (depending on type) right off of the drive. I would recommend using the "Accounts" setting when doing this however. What generation Extreme is it?

By dragging and dropping I didn't mean locally/from a computer which has the actual drive attached to it; I want this to be almost like cloud storage but be local in my house. (I don't want some bad cloud service, esp. on old PPC Macs). I was thinking I would save my current documents to the HD and then, from now on, copy new ones I make, to the drive.

(I have an Airport Extreme base station with a copyright date of 2005). With permission, I may be able to use one of our newer devices.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The whacked out whacky world of PowerPC Mac!

By dragging and dropping I didn't mean locally/from a computer which has the actual drive attached to it; I want this to be almost like cloud storage but be local in my house. (I don't want some bad cloud service, esp. on old PPC Macs). I was thinking I would save my current documents to the HD and then, from now on, copy new ones I make, to the drive.

(I have an Airport Extreme base station with a copyright date of 2005). With permission, I may be able to use one of our newer devices.

Essentially it would work like a slower NAS. I use mine to host software so when I re-image a machine it is right there.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Essentially it would work like a slower NAS. I use mine to host software so when I re-image a machine it is right there.

Whelp, this sounds like it would be a fun project over winter break. I guess I'll try it out and tell ya' how it goes.

It WOULD be cool to have a nice use for the G4, but this will be more efficient anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.