the "what the hell are the other 75-ish features going to be" thread!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by actorkid, Mar 17, 2009.

1. actorkid macrumors 6502

So....I counted the screen that highlighted some new features in the 3.0 firmware during the keynote.

It only shows about 25 new features! Let's discuss what we think the other 75-ish features will be once the software actually releases (assuming apple wasn't greatly over-exaggerating when they tell us there are over 100 new features).

I'm thinking they're going to mainly be small things.

Cancel texts as they're being sent perhaps for those accidental sends?

empty inbox in mail for POP accounts?

I'm hoping for lots of little things that make things simply easier to use.

What do you all think?!

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Were these on there?

Screen shots confirm these:

* Email or SMS Contacts to people
    * Email or Delete multiple pictures instead of only being able to do them one at a time.
    * More double click home button options (Adding Search and Camera to the list of options)

3. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

We have 3 months or so to find out. Right now, it's all speculation but I'd say it's under the table fixes otherwise Apple would have mentioned/promoted them.

4. TheMBC macrumors 6502

They're probably counting each little "feature" from one big one.

Like...
    Landscape Email
    Landscape SMS
    Landscape MMS
    Landscape Notes
    Landscape on and on and on

Search iPod
    Search Email
    Search Calendar
    Search Notes

Forward SMS
    Forward MMS
    Delete SMS
    Delete MMS

etc ;)

5. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

e-mailing and smsing contacts was discussed

I didnt see anything about deleting multiple pictures...that will be helpful

they didnt discuss the new double click options but i saw that on screenshots as well...

it also looks like they changed the location of the progress bar in messaging....its now more compact on the top of the screen instead of blacking out the keyboard with that huge ugly white progress bar.

6. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I don't know. I'm guessing every cosmetic change to the stock applications is counted as a feature. :rolleyes:

I'm still hoping for lock screen notifications, downloading video from iTunes directly to the phone, and video recording. Those aren't necessarily related to developers so they may not have featured them at this little preview on purpose. :)

I'm also hoping one of the 'features' will be a casing redesign and exterior styling change/refresh .

7. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

honestly, something im really hoping for would be a "recently found" list on the spotlight page that can disappear when you start typing. But it would be really helpful that my most used few icons were listed right there on the spotlight page.

I love the spotlight feature...ill probably use it more often than scrolling through all of my other pages. The recently found list would make it THAT much better for me.

8. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

9. pnd4pnd macrumors member

what about easy switching between email accounts?

10. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

I am really surprised they haven't done anything (yet) about the 120 apps over 9 screens thing ... its really not an "apple" experience to just have this disorganised mess

12. qwanza macrumors member

I'm Hoping we are given the choice to Hide the Spotlight Page, i personally would never use it.

Also hoping you can turn off "shake to shuffle"

13. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

14. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

97. New Phone icon.
    98. New iPod icon.
    99. New SMS icon.
    100. New name for SMS - 'Messages'

Ah, there we go.

15. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

I'm curious to see what those other non-announced features will be as well. Unfortunately I figure an equivalent to Categories isn't likely to be there as that's something big enough I'd think they would have talked about it. And equivalent to Status Notifier would be nice and also probably fairly easy... it's always amazed me that the iPhone didn't have that capability from the get-go when my old WinMo Blackjack 2 did (of course, it had some other capabilities that we're just getting like A2DP and IM push as well, so...).

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'd agree with the above that there is likely some "creative" counting to get to that 100 number, but there are probably still some tweaks that just weren't worth mentioning in the time allocated.

Possibilities include -

• Adding additional APN and DNS servers to your phone network (many networks use a second APN to send MMS, so that'll be necessary anyway. The ability to use open DNS rather than O2's flaky DNS server would be very appreciated).
    • Accessing the EQ controls inside the iPod app rather than having to go to settings (this would be *very* much appreciated).
    • Better lyrics support in the iPod app.
    • User able to create home screen shortcuts to toggle off the wifi/bluetooth/3g radios rather than having to into settings.
    • Safari gesture that operates as an 'End' key (scrolling down long pages of blog comments is often a pain in the backside).
    • Swipe to delete an answer phone message without having to start playing it in the messages list.
    • Silent switch to override all applications?
    • Character count in the SMS app.
    • More user control in settings on the number of SMS reminders.
    • Exposure/shutter/ISO controls in the camera app (I expect this will be discussed more in conjunction with the new hardware…).
    • Tap anywhere on screen to take a photo in the camera app.
    • Enhanced v-card support in the contacts app.
    • Customisable SMS tones.
    • Able to disable accelerometer in the settings menu to browse while lying in bed :)
    • More precise navigation in the iPod app (skipping around long podcasts isn't as intuitive as it could be).
    • Battery indicator in settings to give more info, like percentage charge (this is in the new SDK, so not much reason to not just make it available in settings).

Some stuff might only be relevant to the new hardware too. For example, I'd put money that the maps application with have magnetometer support now that it's built in to the MacOS core location framework, but only the new handset will actually have a magnetometer (which is probably the best innovation the G1 has managed so far).

Phazer

17. The Phazer macrumors 68030

18. Houls macrumors member

Notifier

I'm also hoping they include Status Bar Notifications. I like not having to unlock the device to see if I have mail, if i'm in silent mode, etc....this would be the jailbreak app I'd miss the most in 3.0 if it's not included.

19. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

- Full support for Apple headphones with inline remotes - i.e. volume control.

20. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

There'll probably be a way to organise apps - he mentioned during the talk that he had about 90 apps on his phone, so it must annoy the Apple lot too.

21. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I want a unified mail box! I hate having to go through all of my email accounts individually...

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I suspect that's a hardware issue that'll be on the new handset only.

Phazer

23. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You wouldn't want to look at the side of your iPhone to see if the silent switch is flipped.... ;)

24. ptsube macrumors 6502

Audio output selection for iPod(stereo Bluetooth).
    30 second replay for iPod audiobooks.
    Speed selector(1x,2x,1/2x) for iPod audiobooks.

25. Pared macrumors 65816

Completely agree.