The Wii has been Dethroned NPD Figures

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Mar 11, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

For the first time since the Wii Came out the Wii has been dethroned in Monthly Sales

the 360 toped out the number 1 Spot with 422k systems and the Wii was 397k.

Most Impressively Heavy Rain sold 219k units in just 4 days.

The PS3 sold 360k systems and Looks to be the the top possibly next month with a full month in for Heavy Rain and God of War 3 coming out next week.

full numbers here.
    http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/03/11/february-npd-results-revealed/

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Interesting. I wonder what prompted this decline in Wii sales....is there another "shortage"? :rolleyes: Also, was there any significant 360 game released that explains the rise in sales?

The DS is still dominating them all, it seems unstoppable.....but do DS owners not buy any games? How come there are no DS titles in the top ten? :confused:

3. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

It was the Full month of Mass Effect 2 I believe it came out like the last few days in January.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Everybody on the planet owns one that sits there gathering dust and the optical drive flickers blue in the darkness, ignored.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol.

Once in a blue moon a 'proper' title is released for the wii and the little thing boots up wondering why you have awoken it from its deep dark slumber forcing this disc into its mouth which since its 6 months or so, will automatically necessitate a firmware upgrade. Slowly your wii updates, you hold your breath not sure if this is the one thats going to brick it.

Finally it updates, you go to disc channel and press start. Game spins, and your eventually greeted by the game.

"oh yeah this is what SD is like' you say to yourself as you grasp with the TV remote control wildly trying to get the picture improved.

Finally you settle down and start the game.

60 minutes later you think to yourself "god waggle sucks, and even that bloody motion+ adapter I bought to improve accuracy is just another useless tool that yet another game doesn't utilise', and after a further 5 minutes of frustration and control fiddling, you think 'f*ck it' and turn it off.......

You wii closes its eyes and falls asleep, sure to wake again in another 6 months when the cycle begins to repeat.........
    In its final moments before it enters the comatose state you hear it whisper under its breath 'but I have so much potential'.....

6. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Thank you, that really made me laugh! :D

7. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Reading the posts here, I can now see that the Wii was much more bitter pill for the hardcore gamers to swallow than I had imagined.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Eh what, I still play my Wii. The games are damn enjoyable, just wish my connection was halfway good so I could actually play Brawl against Praxis and co :eek:.
    Gaming wise all I need is a Wii, PC, DS and PSP.

9. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Wow, lots of Wii hate. I love mine and still am trying to find enough time to finish games that I'm really enjoying. And there are more coming out this year, I'm going to have NO time to play everything I want.

/and that's not even including sc2 for my mac

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Which games exactly? My list of "good" games extends to Mario Galaxy, Zelda and New Super Mario Bros. Mario Kart was alright, though let down by the waggle controls.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You could use a Gamecube controller if you didn't want to 'waggle controls'.

12. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

It has happened only once before. During the September 2007 NPD sales period, when Halo 3 was released, the 360 beat the Wii by ~25k (527k to 501k). Halo 3 sold 3.3M units in the 11 days it was available during that sales period, beating 2nd place "Wii Play" by nearly a 12:1 ratio.

But of course, the following month, after the initial landslide of Halo 3 sales subsided, the Wii went right back to being on top again. And it stayed there until this most recent sales period.

13. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Mario Galaxy
    Zelda
    NSMB
    MarioKart
    Smash Bros Brawl
    BWii
    Excite Truck (I want Excite Bots)
    Mario Strikers Charged
    MoH: Heroes 2 (haven't played the others yet)
    Metroid
    Zack & Wiki
    Super Monkey Ball (yeah, I know no one likes it, but I still had lots of fun with it).
    Wii Sports
    World of Goo
    MegaMan 9 & 10

I had fun with others too, but those are the ones that I just had a huge blast playing (and am still playing in some cases)

Games I'm looking forward to:

Mario Galaxy 2
    Metroid Other M
    Monster Hunter 3
    Red Steel 2
    Edit: would also like to get Little King's Story

Am also interested in other games, but I just don't have enough time.

/don't understand how people have enough time to play through so many games.

14. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I still play my Wii. I'm not an everyday player though, so I still have a slew of games that I have yet to finish. I still play Mario Kart fairly often, but that's mainly because my four year old loves it.

On average, I probably play maybe 2-2.5 hours per week, and that's generally on the weekends.

I have been very underwhelmed by new titles though, but we're a one-console family and being as we don't have an HDTV I don't see the point in dropping $300+ on a different console.

But you still cracked me up, MRU! :D

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

This my friend is pure genius. Very witty, and it explains in a nutshell how I feel too.

I still wonder why the Wii hasn't been packed away with my other Outdated consoles...

16. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Fun has no expiration date.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Either young kids are playing parent approved games (on the Wii) or it's broken out for a party. It does not play the type of games I spend most of my time playing.

18. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

though I am Following NBA Jam I played that game so much on the arcade and Genesis back in the day.

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

An excuse to through a few more parties? :p

I'll agree to a point, I've had some of my best gaming experiences on the Wii, but I when I want to relax after a day, I tend to go to an FPS on the 360 or PS3.

But to be fair, we're the people coming to a gaming forum, and many of us have been since before the Wii changed the market.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Hmmm, for some reason, I haven't seen a new one at any of the stores for about 3 weeks now...

Maybe that's why the decreased sales?

What's up? Maybe Chinese New Year?

21. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Don't even try to pull that "shortage" excuse out again...

[​IMG]

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Admittedly it's been a smashing financial success. :)

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

true that... and while the ps3/xbox360 have their great single player expierences in terms of 4 player on the couch/party games they are hopeless with the exception of music games
    which is jsut the oppposite to the Wii

24. -SD- macrumors 6502

I fired my Wii up for the first time in ages the other day when my mate came over with Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Totally awesome game, shame it's on the Wii....

Since I got the kids a Wii for Xmas to have at their Mum's, they really haven't been interested in playing mine. Thankfully this means I no longer have to put up with Mario Kart either. She only uses it for Wii Fit and just rents games from LoveFilm for the kids. I'm constantly amazed when I go round there at the absolute rubbish that actually gets released on the system, it's really quite shocking.

The children are much happier playing with EyePet, and I'm quite looking forward to Mod Nation Racers. Hopefully the Move will bring some competent motion controlled games to the PS3. In fact, once the Move is released, it'll most likely be Game Over for the Wii in my livingroom.