The worst macbook experience with 6 replacements

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lggreat, May 15, 2009.

1. lggreat macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am a college student and this is my first thread in this forum, and I want to tell people the most horrible story about the macbook. The macbook aluminum is really beautiful and I am very happy to when I got it. But very unfortunately, I suffered this piece of junk for over 6 months. (I hope it is not so offensive to other macbook owners, but to me, I can only consider it as junk)
    The 1st macbook:
    I purchased my macbook at last November, and it is my first time with Mac. One week after I purchased it, I found there are 3 dead pixels and 2 bad pixels on the screen.
    The 2nd macbook:
    I went to the local apple store at Smith Heaven Mall, NY, in order to replace a new one. The genius spent a long time to talk with the manager, and finally, gave me a replacement with 2 dead pixels and 2 bad pixels. I was angry with the apple store but they refused to give me another replacement because they said apple is not responsible for the problem which is unavoidable due to the manufacture.
    The 3rd macbook:
    Thanks to god, I have 3 yr apple care and I called them. The apple care negotiated with the store and the apple store gave me the third replacement. This time is even worse. I got a macbook which has a used battery (in the system profiler, it indicates the battery has 6 cycles, which is absolutely unusual, no manufactory will test a battery for 6 times). Then, I got my 4th macbook instantly.
    The 4th macbook:
    When I received it, it is already the end of the fall semester (before the Christmas), and I have to go back to China to visit my grandparents during the winter break. When I was working on my paper one day before my flight, I found the return key doesn’t work properly (if you press the bottom part of the key, it will never return……), I called apple care so they make a case id for me in order to replace the macbook when I got back.
    The 5th macbook:
    I got back in Jan, and the apple care give me a replacement directly without wasting time with the silly smith heaven mall apple store. And apple care also gave me a 4 GB ram upgrade for free. I appreciate their help. But I received the 4 GB macbook with a rough bottom case (I am sure the manufacturer didn’t install the case properly after they added the ram). I went the apple store and get it fixed.
    Now it is the real begging of my nightmare. At the begging of this month, I found I can hear some weird sound when I press the command key, it is so annoying. It also means I have to go to the apple store to check it, which now is a kind of routine for me. The apple store checked it and told me they have to send back to the repair center and it will cost about one week. One week later I got the fixed 5th replacement back through FedEx, and it came back with a stupid enter key which would produce annoying sound. Well done, apple, you give me a defective part again and again. Now I have no choice but go to the apple store at smith haven mall (I hate this name so much). One genius replaced a new return key for me. The new issue came to me after a day, the return key became too short compare to other keys, and it gave you an unpleasant feeling when you type. I spend over 3 days to talk with apple in order to replace it. (Guys, I couldn’t spend another 7 days for apple to solve the same issue again, but I am wrong, I really should keep it.) At the end of discussion, the apple care customer relationship representative warned me: “this is the last replacement from apple, from now on, whatever the problem you have, you must follow the standard procedure in order to fix it.” And the representative also told me, the replacement policy in apple is: “apple will replace the product if there are at least three failures one the same main hardware. (screen, logic board, hard drive, etc)”
    The 6th macbook:
    A absolutely piece of junk with the most cheap screen, that’s all I can tell. Please see the attachment……….. The worst screen in the world which has obvious blue tint. This time both apple care and apple store told me this is acceptable and it is the so-called apple quality product. I have been told by both apple care representative and apple genius: “this is nothing wrong with this macbook screen”.

Cheers, now I recognize I shall never waste any time or money on apple product, which has the worst quality control system that give customer defective products again and again.I just ordered a thinkpad tablet with 3 yr full protection, and luckily I no longer need to use run vm fusion in order to handle orcad project. I will come back to china this summer again, and give this macbook to my parents, because the only pro for apple is it is easy for people who have no experience with computer. See you, Apple!

P.S. in the attachment, i posted the original wall paper, and comparison between my destop monitor(cheap TN panel), itouch, and my current macbook thas has blue tint

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thank you guys. the used battery is okay for me, but that's not the issue about that replacement, there are a big scratch on the top case. seriously, i dont thinks that replcement is a new one. (do you guys think a brand new macbook will come with a battery that has 6 cycles?)

For the key problems, i agree with you, i am too crital to this macbook, but if you are a student who spend amost 1800 bucks(1360 for the macbook plus tax, 170 for the apple care, 200 for the ssd, and 70 for the case), what will you do.i really don't think i deserved this kind of low quality laptop, my roomate has a eee pc for 400 bucks, and there is nothing wrong with the keyboard at all.

Noweveryone in my department laughed at my poor macbook. guys, i had compaq, asus, sony, and dell before, but i haven't had any dead pixels or stupid problems with keys, the only issue with those PCs are their poor battery life and crazy weight. this is my first time to purchase a laptop for over 1500 bucks, but what i get is totally unaccetable.

For the screen with blue tint, trust me, my friends, i did check the color profile and try my best to calibrate it. but this is absolutely a hardware problem due to quality control. i am in electrical engineer major; if i make this kind of horrible screen with my cute semi-transistos, and sell it to customers, then i am guilty.

The problem is the last one, i have been told officially: "THIS SCREEN HAS NO PROBLEM WITH THE COLOR, IT IS JUST MY PEROSNAL OPINION THAT IT HAS BLUE TINT"

Thanks for your replies, everone, i appreciate OS X, it is the best OS i have ever seen, but i dont think i would buy mac any more. now i ordered a thinkpad with IPS panel screen, hopefully there is no problem about the pixels.

Attached Files:

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

That's terrible. NOBODY would consider that an acceptable display.

Get a display off eBay and try to replace it yourself.

3. o2xygen macrumors regular

the blue tint screen is simply a calibration issue. Calibrate your screen system pref -> displays -> color.

It seems to me you demand a replacement at every fault when most of those problems are easily fixed.

4. youssefm macrumors 6502

Okay honestly, I think you're being WAY too picky with things.. "it made an annoying sound," really thats not that big of a deal, I understand like pixels and stuff, since you paid a lot for it. Anyway, I think for the screen, just calibrate it, and reduce the blue levels, it should be fine after that.

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

A used battery? It should have stopped at that point, six cycles mean nothing and it's far to few to be from the hands of a consumer. It was obviously a tested battery, as other users have pointed out in these forums. If there was nothing wrong with the battery other than software (which is 3rd party none-the-less) telling you of three cycles, then it should have not been replaced, especially with a new MacBook. You essentially threw away $1,000+ based on the accuracy of third-party software that didn't affect you in any way, shape, or form. You got a replacement because of a "clicking" sound? I'm OCD about minute things such as that, but c'mon now. The blue tint is a calibration issue. There is no "train wreck" or nightmare here, you got lucky, very lucky.

6. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I totally stand by the OP. It is YOUR money, and if you spend that much on something and are not satisfied, then damn right take it back! I'm sorry to hear your bad experiences with apple. Personally the only issue I've had with an apple product is my iPod Nano had a tilted screen, but I never even replaced it. Didn't bother me that much but it is a defect. Also, my brothers new aluminum 2.4 macbook had the HDD replaced twice because he kept getting the ? in the center of the screen.

You know, Apple makes tons and tons of these things, and no manufacturing process is perfect. Though I would venture to say that Rolex comes pretty close to a perfect mechanical watch. :cool:

And that blue tint is ridiculous. Try fixing the color as one of the other posters mentioned. If that doesn't work put it on ebay.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Man, sounds like you went thru macbooks like nothing.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I think you're too picky, I agree dead pixels are not acceptable, but replacing the entire unit for 6 battery cycles? Just ask them to give you a brand new battery. Problem solved. No need to wait for a replacement. And fyi, the "annoying sound" you hear when a key is pressed is probably the key being pressed. All keyboards (desktop/notebook) make a sound when keys are pressed.

All in all, I think Apple messed up with the dead pixels, but for the other stuff, you could have gotten a new part(s) instead of a whole new unit. Replacement unit for an enter key? return key? battery? Come on.

And my last point is that I highly doubt your story. Six replacements? No wonder Macs aren't getting any cheaper. We have people demanding multiple replacements for a single key, or even human error (screen calibration).

9. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Hey just puts more in the refurb section. That's good for all of us... :D

10. philipxz macrumors regular

philipxz

Sooorry to hear about your experience. Just wow!

But I think there's a fix to the bluish color on to it.

Click  on your menu bar. Select "System Preferences...". Click "Displays" on the "Hardware" group. Click the "Color" tab. Click "Calibrate..."

Then an assistant will pop-up. After you get to "Target White Point" select "Native".

If it is on "9300" that is why there's a bluish color.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I guess this makes this a clarification for :eek:2xygen: message. It took me that long to write this, and :eek:2xygen: posted it before I did.

11. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

All members know that the screens in the Alu MB are not the best. I personally hate the fact that they started using better screens in the MB. :(

lggreat, consider yourself lucky that Apple granted you 5 replacements. :) I just wish I can even get ONE replacement. :( I had to sell my (about 7 weeks old) base Alu MB for cheap (which I just did at a big loss) in order to recover some money to put towards my purchase of another Alu MB because of the screen & palmrest. :(

I understand we all want perfect products but going through 6 of them already? :confused: That's a bit....

12. lggreat thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys. the used battery is okay for me, but that's not the issue about that replacement, there are a big scratch on the top case. seriously, i dont thinks that replcement is a new one. (do you guys think a brand new macbook will come with a battery that has 6 cycles?)

For the key problems, i agree with you, i am too crital to this macbook, but if you are a student who spend amost 1800 bucks(1360 for the macbook plus tax, 170 for the apple care, 200 for the ssd, and 70 for the case), i really don't think i deserved this kind of low quality laptop, my roomate has a eee pc for 400 bucks, and there is nothing wrong with the keyboard at all.

Noweveryone in my department laughed at my poor macbook. guys, i had compaq, asus, sony, and dell before, but i haven't had any dead pixels or stupid problems with keys, the only issue with those PCs are their poor battery life and crazy weight. this is my first time to purchase a laptop for over 1500 bucks, but what i get is totally unaccetable.

for the screen with blue tint, trust me, my friends, i did check the color profile and try my best to calibrate it. but this is absolutely a hardware problem due to quality control. i am in electrical engineer major; if i make this kind of horrible screen with my cute semi-transistos, and sell it to customers, then i am guilty.

thanks for your replies, everone, i appreciate OS X, it is the best OS i have ever seen, but i dont think i would buy mac any more. now i ordered a thinkpad with IPS panel screen, hopefully there is no problem about the pixels.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...when did they start putting better screens in the MB's, everyone here still complains about them being poor screens?

Also, did the better screens go into the whitebooks?

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How in the world did you manage to get 6 replacements? Your issues are easily solvable, many of them. That blue tint is a calibration issue ... fix it yourself.

15. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

It sounds like he bought a refurb. Sorry buddy, next time buy a new one if you want it GEM MINT.

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You returned a computer for having 6 cycles on the battery? What is wrong with you? If I were Apple I'd tell you to take a hike.

At the very MOST you should have just asked for a replacement battery.

17. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It seems that with people posting here, about a month ago at most, they started using different panels, with ID numbers like 9CA6/7/8 (I think, I can't find the thread talking about them)

18. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I don't know guys, I feel really bad for the OP. 1800 bucks is hard for a student to come by, believe me I know! If he's ok with using windows, I think he will actually be very pleased with the think pad. Those are very good quality computers.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

See some of the most recent posts. The screen in my MacBook is fantastic.

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if the OP was that strapped for $$ he should have done what his buddy did and get an eeePC...

...but the second part of my question, did they start putting the different screens in the whitebooks?

I have no real desire for a UMB, it just doesn't "say" buy me vs. the whitebook when I look at the two side by side in the base PX...

21. Toofan macrumors member

Similar experience here too. I can completely see where you're coming from, when you're paying a "premium price" for a "premium product" you're supposed to be happy with your purchase. It's like buying a brand new car with a scratch on it, it doesn't make any sense. After a house and car, your computer will probably be the next most expensive single item purchase you ever make. Quality control is the pits with Apple, and 10% restocking fee...gimme a break. If bestbuy can take back anything within 14 days and send it back to Apple...yah this is beyond me.

22. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

I spent to much time reading the OP to read all the comments but it would seem many will agree with me when I say you're too picky. You should have kept the battery with 6 cycles. WOW 6 cycles omg it's used? NO it is not used. o2xygen sums it up a simple over reaction to simple/easily fixable problems.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

?!?!??!? These things come to me broken ALL the time. IBM\Lenovo is making trash at the moment.

24. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

25. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

That is probably the most annoying post I have read in a long time. Seriously... 6 cycles? The key makes a noise when I press it? Give me a break. I'm really showing restraint by not saying all the things I want to. No wonder apple products cost so much when you have clowns like this purchasing their products.