The xoom DOES have a wifi version!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NateJamesMeyers, Mar 9, 2011.

1. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

a ton of people on this forum keep bringing up that the ipad starts at 500 and the xoom starts at 800. GUYS the xoom has a wifi version for 530! just saying, check your facts. get your noses out of the steve jobs bible :p

2. No1up macrumors regular

Oh really?! Sweet I'm going to go buy one right now for that price! tell me, where can I buy it?

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

it's still just a rumor but it's all but confirmed at this point

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree that there will be a wifi Xoom, the question is when will it be available?

5. DeathChill macrumors 68000

And how much will it cost? Apparently that picture is in a demo store and could very well be a placeholder. I am interested to hear the release date and official price.

6. rasputinj macrumors regular

As of now there is not a release date for the wifi version, the pricing of $530 was some sort of Sam's Club loss leader, I thought the real price is $599. What would be a concern for me would be the fact if I go to Verizon Wireless I see iPad2 on home page and no reference to Xoom, I had a hard time finding it. I also checked out Best Buy and if you go to tablets section you see reference to iPad2 no reference to Xoom until you display all products.

If the price difference is really $269.99 between the 3G/4G model and Wifi aren't they ripping you off? Maybe I am missing other model differences.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Once again an iPad competitor without an international release. If you're going to ship, ship everywhere.

By the time this thing comes out everyone will have bought an iPad 2.

8. sineplex macrumors 6502

It will be out 1 month before iPad 3

9. M87 macrumors 65816

These Droid things might do better if all of their advertisements weren't targeting 12 year old boys. Apple commercials are as neutral and minimal as can be and cover all kinds of use cases, Droid commercials look like a trailer for a Michael Bay movie.

10. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

I wouldn't buy the Xoom. The reviewers are saying that allot of the apps force close and that also the internet browser crashes allot.

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

"It never crashed in my tests, unlike every Android tablet I've tested." - AllThingsD

"The iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market" - Engadget

"In short, the iPad 2 is the fastest iOS device ever made, by a long shot." - Macworld

Tell me why should I care?

12. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Yeah but the Xoom is a pioneer in the android tablet with Honeycomb. Apps designed for tablet. Heard all the same stuff right before i purchased the Google g1, the original android device and business exploded. That phone was the best phone I had and the potentials were endless. The hardware was there to run the software which came in a few months.

I have to say the xoom probably won't have a good start but it will be a beast once development on honeycomb starts to boom. By then though, competitors of other android devices will have their stuff out but I think that's where hardware and specs shine. And xoom is future proof for a while with its dual core, 1gb ram (Which you have to give it up... combine that with android and you got a killer multitasking device) and a few other things.

this isnt a comparison to the ipad 2 so dont take it as such. Just a fan of both and to each its own.

13. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

yeah, and ipad1 was a pioneer for iOS3.2. And that OS AND the apps didn't had a beta-software feel on them.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The reviewers are full of crap.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Funny. I seem to recall a time when I couldn't even do copy and paste on an iOS device...

16. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

In the hour I spent with the xoom at best buy, I had 8 force closes. Google maps, browser and music

17. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Welcome to last month!!

There has been pics of it selling at Sam's Club for $539, when they get it in stock.

18. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

According to that article...

"The Motorola Xoom costs about $800. Battery life runs between two and four hours, according to Chowdhry's research."

Seriously? That does surprise me.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Please. The article is just plain wrong. Battery life it outstanding. And it does cost $800 but Motorola already has a $100 off coupon floating around. What are the chances of an iPad price drop or discount? :rolleyes:

20. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

539 was a placeholder. Its 599

21. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Lack of a feature doesn't equal beta status. Windows Phone 7 for example, while missing some features, is actually a very well polished product that feels even more mature than Android in many ways. (yes, insert your own "It's just WinCE with a different shell" joke here)

On a related note, if you advertise your product of having feature A and B, and release the product without it, that probably doesn't help either.

Speaking of the Xoom WiFi. Do we even have a solid release date rumor yet?

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Unfortunately, unlike the iPad, there are all sorts of things people can do to a Honeycomb demo tablet to muck it up. That is good or bad depending on your point of view. Those demo units should be locked down.

I can assure you a clean, fresh install is very stable. Start loading apps designed for previous os versions and ymmv.

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Yeah, for the few days I had the Xoom I noticed the battery wasn't that bad. The email client, zoom in browser, landscape only, low quality screen, no apps at all, were bad though. After I gave it back, I don't miss it at all.

24. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I haven't seen the Xoom but as an Android phone owner I somehow doubt it. While there are many configuration options, nothing really impacts the performance that much. From what I've read the problem with the Xoom and Honeycomb in its current status is that if you load many apps and don't close them, the speed can suffer severely. That has nothing to do with configurability, probably more related to the not completely tuned task management function of Honeycomb.