Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
As a former Ipad owner, I am looking forward to getting a Xoom, but I was wondering if, Stevo will upgrade the Ipad 2 to keep up with the Xoom ( Dual Processor, 1GB Ram, 2 Cameras, Flash ) or will he use smoke and mirrors, blind loyalty, and just say, " Hold it differently"

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't think Apple's business model is particularly designed to "keep up" with anything
They aren't particularly "spec heavy" on any of their products

Enjoy your Xoom

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
enjoy your xoom, and as MacDawq stated, apple does its own thing.

Personally, the iPad is greater then the sum of its parts, so while the specs may not measure up to the xoom, the whole iPad platform is superior to xooms.

Besides, we have no idea how well honeycomb will be since its not released.

Finally, think about updates, apple updates iOS fairly often, but with android you need to wait until google releases the code, then motorola to update for their stuff.

The frustrating thing for me owning a droidx is that I have to wait an excessive amount of time for updates.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I would hope with the Xoom being a reference design that updates would be swift like the Nexus line of phones from Google and its partners.

So far, I'm under the impression that the Xoom has no modifications to the core os (unlike the Droid X).

If it wasn't a "stock" device that wpuld put me off from the start.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would hope with the Xoom being a reference design that updates would be swift like the Nexus line of phones from Google and its partners.
My frustration with the droid x is the slow pace of updates. Going to 2.2 took way too long, and then when it was a tad buggy in some areas, it took too many months for a simple bug fix.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Keep up with Xoom?

Here is something to ponder...

The new tablets coming out have dual core processors and 1gb of RAM because their operating systems are HOGS! Just like on Windows, you need more system resources to do what you could do on a Mac with less, simply because the OS is inefficient.

So yes, enjoy your precious Honeycomb Xoom with it's bloated specs for it's bloated, inefficient OS. It doesn't even render it's graphics with a GPU, it does it in software! That's why the scrolling on Android devices looks like garbage and is not at all smooth like it is on the iPhone/iPad. :)

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I think first we have to see what the price, real world battery life, and what sort of developers are going to take advantage of all of that hardware before there is any sense comparing.

Because I sure would love to buy an expensive device on contract with great hardware specs, but terrible battery life and no great apps.

Maagus

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Czech republic
Actually, what are the specs on the tablets for? If I was a developer, I would make sure that my game runs ot the vast majority of tablets because of revenue. So until the majority of Anroid tablets have similar performance, the performance of Xoom will be unused. The problem of Android is fragmentation.

It all goes down to user experience anyway. And user experience dos not equal specs, specs are only small portion of it.

Anyway, enjoy your Xoom. Hopefully it is going to sell well. Why? Because someone needs to show the direction for other Android tablets (see my first paragraph about fragmentation). It may as well be Xoom.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The new tablets coming out have dual core processors and 1gb of RAM because their operating systems are HOGS! Just like on Windows, you need more system resources to do what you could do on a Mac with less, simply because the OS is inefficient.
Well since the dual processors and OS is not out yet. This is blanket blind statement is a tad premature.

Besides, we heard basically similar arguments (battery life bloated os, etc) with the iPhone and multitasking. That all changed when his Jobness proclaimed they invented a better way of multitasking (which is a crippled version of multitasking) then all the critics of multitasking suddenly became fans.

My point? All this criticism of hardware will change once apple catches up.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Motorola Xoom is nice, but I still haven't seen any apps on it. Also, I hate Android because software updates are not very consistent. However, Motorola has been better than other companies on updating software. Enjoy your xoom, but apple isn't the company that goes all out for latest and greatest technology.
They focus on battery life, user experience and apps.

Maagus

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Czech republic
That all changed when his Jobness proclaimed they invented a better way of multitasking (which is a crippled version of multitasking) then all the critics of multitasking suddenly became fans.

Umm, yeah, it is quite logical. Because it solves the main issue - battery drain.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Ummm, why do we get crap like this. Shouldn't post like this be on Hemroid Rumors ? Why does it have to be on MR ? If I wanted an overpriced smaller screen, laggy tablet, I would have gotten one of the Hemroid ones and than posted all my comments on their message boards.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
I was wondering if, Stevo will upgrade the Ipad 2 to keep up with the Xoom ( Dual Processor, 1GB Ram, 2 Cameras, Flash )

Nothing about Xoom will change anything about the upcoming iPad. It's too late to add something to the iPad based on what has been shown a week ago.

And what's so special about the Xoom's hardware spec?

Dual processor - EVERYONE knew the next Android tablets will be using Tegra2. We all knew it last year and so did Apple. Not only we knew about the dual core, we even knew what SoC brand it'll use, all from last year.

2 cameras & Flash - Galaxy Tab already had these last year.

If they decided something on the iPad, it was done before the Xoom was revealed. i.e. The Xoom will not have any effect on the iPad 2 and nothing about the Xoom's hardware went beyond what we knew last year.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
The Xoom looks really nice. However, I plan on staying with Apple tablets unless something came out that I just had to have. I don't need cameras, flash, etc... I do need Airplay now that I have three systems that utilize it. I do need the apps that I already paid for that will migrate to a new iPad. I like the fact that I have apps that I bought for my iPhone that work on the iPad and Touch without added cost. I don't want to learn a new OS.

To go outside of the Apple system, I would need to see something that just blew me away with innovation.. or was so cheap that it was worth the money to try it. Not just a copycat with some simple features that aren't needed or that will be on future versions of the iPad. So far, I haven't seen it, but I think it is (on paper) a nice effort by Motorolla.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Umm, yeah, it is quite logical. Because it solves the main issue - battery drain.

Except for one glaring issue, my Droid X with full multitasking has excellent battery life. So the argument about crippled multitasking = battery life is not really accurate.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Except for one glaring issue, my Droid X with full multitasking has excellent battery life. So the argument about crippled multitasking = battery life is not really accurate.
You'd have even better battery life, if it was frozen state, switching.
Wether it's 'full' multitasking or frozen state, fast app switching, the end result appears the same to the user. The difference being, that frozen state, fast app switching has to be more efficient, by default.
Either way, the user is only aware of the background apps, if they're running audio or something, so the CPU might as well only run those processes and not the rest.

Last edited:

Maagus

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Czech republic

Excellent battery life compared to e.g. iPhone 4? Or excellent battery life for you?

These are both two different things. By the way, Android does not have full multitasking (like for example Playbook has), see for example http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html

Cloysterpeteuk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
So yes, enjoy your precious Honeycomb Xoom with it's bloated specs for it's bloated, inefficient OS.

You do realise that you sound like a right Apple fanboy coming out with statements like that, I would love to know how you would have any idea how bloated an OS is that you've never used because it's not even out yet :rolleyes:.

Personally I think the specs are very impressive, did I read that it's quoted as having a battery life of 10 hours?, if it can match the ipads battery figures then I really couldn't careless how bloated the device is or isn't.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
I love all of this heated argument about a product and OS that has not even been shown to the press in full operational mode, much less reviewed at length.

These "iPhone/iPad killer"s are all speculation until a retail copy has hit the shelves. The only mass market tablet that has achieved much in the way of sales penetration is the Galaxy Tab, which is not even close to the iPad as to the UI, or pretty much anything else. :D

Pinger

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
I love all of this heated argument about a product and OS that has not even been shown to the press in full operational mode, much less reviewed at length.

These "iPhone/iPad killer"s are all speculation until a retail copy has hit the shelves. The only mass market tablet that has achieved much in the way of sales penetration is the Galaxy Tab, which is not even close to the iPad as to the UI, or pretty much anything else. :D

I have to agree with Tj, until it's put to real use by consumers we're dealing with nothing but speculation.. I would never jump on a product such as this right out of the gate, might look good on paper but for the $$ you need to shell out for it the gamble is just too great. But that is only my opinion..
If you do go for it please report back with your thoughts on it..

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Nothing about Xoom will change anything about the upcoming iPad. It's too late to add something to the iPad based on what has been shown a week ago.

And what's so special about the Xoom's hardware spec?

Dual processor - EVERYONE knew the next Android tablets will be using Tegra2. We all knew it last year and so did Apple. Not only we knew about the dual core, we even knew what SoC brand it'll use, all from last year.

2 cameras & Flash - Galaxy Tab already had these last year.

If they decided something on the iPad, it was done before the Xoom was revealed. i.e. The Xoom will not have any effect on the iPad 2 and nothing about the Xoom's hardware went beyond what we knew last year.

This sounds right in one sense but wrong in another. Right in the sense that nothing "revealed" at CES will affect the development of iPad 2. But wrong in the sense that Apple already knew what was coming and had already considered that in the development of iPad 2. Did Honeycomb/Android affect iPad 2 development? Almost surely. But it happened months and months ago; it didn't suddenly happen at CES. Android is too widely dispersed to keep secrets. Apple knows everything that's happening just about all the time.

There's another element to it. Honeycomb is primarily about software. We don't know anything about iOS 5.0, and we have no idea whether Apple will take any lessons from Honeycomb in developing it (or iOS 6.0 or iOS 7.0).

On the flip side, everything Apple does is extremely tight lipped and, I suspect, if the iPad 2 sports twice the resolution of the iPad, that will be a surprise to most Android developers. Now, maybe they don't really care because Honeycomb plays to different strengths, and the 4:3 aspect ratio means it doesn't really effect Android development anyway.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
As a former Ipad owner, I am looking forward to getting a Xoom, but I was wondering if, Stevo will upgrade the Ipad 2 to keep up with the Xoom
Apples masterful marketing, and legions of believers allow the CEO to use a rather odd approach to the products they design. They've got a massive number of people believing the company line, therefore they operate with little, if any consequences.

I truly enjoy most of the many Apple products I own. However they earned my business years ago before they shifted their primary focus from great products to Walmart like mass marketing & money above everything else.

will he use smoke and mirrors, blind loyalty, and just say, " Hold it differently"
You've accurately given an example of the arrogance that reigns supreme. My biggest complaint with this company.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
This sounds right in one sense but wrong in another.
... Did Honeycomb/Android affect iPad 2 development? Almost surely. But it happened months and months ago; it didn't suddenly happen at CES. Android is too widely dispersed to keep secrets. Apple knows everything that's happening just about all the time.

It's always true competition makes you try harder and iPad vs Honeycomb is no exception. However that's not the premise of the OP's posting:

I was wondering if, Stevo will upgrade the Ipad 2 to keep up with the Xoom

The OP clearly implied the unveil of the Xoom at the CES will have some sort of shock effect on the iPad and if Jobs will go something to catch up with the Motorola tablet after the fact. And for that matter, we know the answer is very much a "no." Most of the iPad specs must've determined a while ago especially if Apple will really put such high resolution display on it since that'll require a heck of preparation from the manufacturer's side. (LG?)

Pinger

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2010
Northeast
Briefly checked out the xoom but when I saw no wifi only versions I stopped.. They will hardly put a dent into the iPad sales with that strategy!! It's not a cell phone, it's a extension of our desktops/laptops..

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You can only rely on blind brand loyalty for so long, or as long as your specs don't drop too low.

Most people are not stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.