Themes for sale at the App Store? Oh wait, probably not.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Haven't seen any discussion about the App Store selling themes. Maybe I missed something? Maybe no one cares? For a lot of folks, themes were the first incentive to jailbreak last summer.

Based on the number of themes floating around, it could be a potential cash cow for Apple and theme creators.

OTOH, it would also probably be a copyright/licensing nightmare for Apple, as so many themes out there are made with swipe art.

Ok, probably no themes. I wonder if (hope) the App Store and Installer will place nicely together sooner than later. I actually don't plan on getting a 3G iPhone until it's completely jailbreakable while maintaining App Store accessibility.

I also hope that if we can't buy themes, that until Installer gets up and running on 2.0, Apple enforces some sort of icon specs/requirements from the app store devs. Some of the icons for Installer apps are just horrendous.

2. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

ok.
    you just agreed with yourself.
    disagreed with yourself.
    then agreed with yourself again
    :p

:confused:

That is unless you count the Thread name as a topic sentence, in which case you expressed both sides of the 'story' as the thread name direced you to do.....

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I believe Apple has not allowed developers to make themes for App Store. They can't access whatever you would need to access in the phone to customize the icons, background, etc.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

No themes, apps have to run int their own sandbox. The general overall phone UI is not that sandbox.

5. coryetzkorn macrumors regular

coryetzkorn

Please no. Leave the beautiful iPhone interface as it is. We don't need the iPhone to start looking and working as bad as myspace.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

For gods sake i hope themes aren't allowed. Which they won't be probably anyways. The iPhone is going to keep its same look through out its entire life.

Plus, it's called the APP Store. See: Application.

And like someone else said, you answered your questioned:

THEMES for sale at the APP store.

7. Solesk macrumors member

it's not like myspace. you dont have to contantly look at someone else's theme. why do you care if they want to make it look different??

8. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I think they should allow you to set a picture as your background (with included solid color background options) and let you change your dock (like from metal or reflective like the iPod touch had, etc.). But themes with different icons and such? Na, it would demolish the GUI.

9. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

10. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

oh god if they ever had themes for the iphone on the app store i could imagine all the hideous gaudy themes pple would use.

"hey check out my iphone"
    "why are all your icons weed paraphernalia? and what's with the Ferrari?"
    "cuz i like weed and wheels man!"
    "picard.jpg"

If that ever happened the app store is moving on over to the 5th page on my iphone screen where i will never flip to it ever the hell again.

11. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

just some of the ugly stuff people come up with scares me lol.
    just like PSP themes.... totally going down the drain.

12. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

graffiti type is the new comic sans. lol.

13. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Yes, because being able to customise your own property is a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Seriously, what business is it of anyone else's if someone wants a theme on their own iPhone.

14. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

It's not a bad thing but some people take it too far with high levels of ugly.
    like having a cluttered up vista theme or just terrible font choice.

Themeing is fine, but some of these people paste themes together like the graphical version of wearing a double polo with popped up collars.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And besides you have the fun of being able to look down on them if they are tasteless :p.

16. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

And some people produce utterly awesome themes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Hey, it's their phone. If they want to have a WWE crossed with The Hulk theme that's up to them if they like it. Just as long as they don't show it to me! :D

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Why do you care what themes people use?

Anyway, I plan on Jailbreaking my iPhone 3G as soon as I possibly can, and the only reason is themes. I posted this before but FWIW - themes rock. I'll take a themed iPhone over a stock one ANY DAY. ;)

[​IMG]

Or, if I tire of that theme I can switch to this one in less than 10 seconds:

[​IMG]

and then if I want something really different, 10 seconds again:

[​IMG]

Thank god for jailbreaking ... :D

18. brandonzar macrumors regular

I don't care much for doing high levels of customization on my home screen, but an option to change the background would be nice, black gets a bit boring. Plus I don't really care what people do to their iPhones, give them some options!

Wouldn't it be "App. Store" if it was an abbreviation for Application? "APP" would seem more like an acronym as in "Apple Personalized Phone" (APP), or maybe a stock symbol, as in "the APP was down 3 points today on news that you would be unable to personalize your home screen." :D

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I think you mean ".App Store" ... ;)

20. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Its unfair the stock iPod touch/iPhone Home screen has been blurred slightly. The actual screen is much sharper. Plus I don't themes will make it to the App Store. Apple don't allow themes on OSX so why would they on the touch/iPhone.

21. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Don't get me wrong I'm all for tasteful customizations and themes. Simplicity ftw when it comes to me.

I just dont like wading through a million sports/cars/babes themes to find something really tasteful, minimal and suiting to my needs.

Sometimes I feel like I hold themes to higher level of design i guess.

but can you blame me? Take a skim through modmyifone's theme/wallpaper and icons gallery and you can see why.

While there are plenty of great themers out there (only themes I can think of is Louie Mantia themes) for every 1 beautiful theme you find you'd have to wade through about 20+ hideous ones.

I should look into making my own i guess :eek:

22. KratosKilla macrumors regular

Maybe....

..They could do themes to adveertise for upcoming music, movies, and app games like they do for xbox 360. Also apple could make some cool themes themselves depending on seasons, holidays, and events. Wouldn't it be cool to get official winter, christmas or summer themes from apple?

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I couldn't find a true-size screenshot of the default icons/arrangement as the only way to take screenshots involves jailbreaking and the people who jailbreak aren't using default icons. Not that it matters too much - the default icons are OK, but the ability to change them (and the wallpaper!) is very important to some people, including me. ;)

Well, for starters, we can change the wallpaper on our Macs - but we can't change the fingerprint-showing, smudge-highlighting BLACK wallpaper on the iPhone. We can also change the size of the fonts used to display icon names on our Macs, but can't do so on the iPhone (nor can we hide them altogether, unless we jailbreak). Finally, we can change any icons we want in OS X (and actually, I use CandyBar with 10.5.3 which allows me to change any icon I want, as well as the dock - all with great ease) ... So, yeah - Apple is forcing everyone to use the same EVERYTHING on the iPhone, but they don't force anyone to do that in Leopard. Big difference. ;)

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Maybe, but I'd still like to be able to create my own (or hell, use any of the ones I've already made) ... :(

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Heck if there was an app that lets you customize your iphone... I think it would be a big seller. Yes some of them are fugly, but hell that was one of the reason I jailbreaked my phone. I wanted to change the background to a pic.

And of course no one on the this forum ever changes the background picture, icons or the dock on there OS either. Heck at least apple gives you a variety of stock photos to change the back ground of the OS.