Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
it's not like myspace. you dont have to contantly look at someone else's theme. why do you care if they want to make it look different??

I honestly don't think Apple's goons are sitting up in their ivory tower debating new ways to screw over consumers with pointless draconian rules. I'm sure that in principle they couldn't care less if users were keen on installing a TMNT theme, or a random fractals theme, or whatever else.

I think it comes down to security and privacy concerns. Theming requires modifications to parts of the iPhone which are not constrained to a controlled sandbox environment. If Apple were hosting something which was disguised as a cool new theme but which actually contained a malicious Trojan that stole your personal information, they'd share some of the liability for it. It's safer for them if they don't get into the theming business at all.

As has already been noted, with jailbreaking and a little creativity, you can create your own themes if you have the skill and inclination to do so. So it *is* possible to have it both ways. Hopefully, Apple will never seal up every possible method of jailbreaking.

sandnessmj

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Personally, I'm disappointed that there aren't themes already available in the App store.

If anyone has ever laid eyes on the PlainJain themes, you know what I'm talking about. Simple, identifiable, beautiful. I've messed with other themes on my jailbroken iPhone, and always come back to this theme.

Offerings in the App store obviously have to be reviewed by Apple before being sold, why couldn't they do the same thing with themes? "Ummm, no, sorry, this theme looks like a baby barfed on an iPhone and we will not offer it." Additionally, they could require a certain amount of customized icons in each theme. One gripe I have with many themes out there now is there aren't icons for some of the major applications that are out there and you end up with half of a theme that doesn't match.

It seems silly that Apple can't figure out a way to offer themes, though. Imagine if you sold themes for 1.99 or .99!? There are millions of iPhones out there, and I'd be willing to bet that people would fork out a buck or two for some themes.

If themes aren't offered, I'll definitely be jailbreaking again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.