Theory As To Why There's So Few Details Being Released

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by honeycrisp, Jul 7, 2008.

1. honeycrisp macrumors regular

After much thought, I think I know why Apple hasn't released a lot of info regarding the July 11th iPhone 3G release:

They don't expect a big crowd. That simple.

I know that may be hard for us hardcore fans to accept, but let me explain my reasons.

1. Almost all of my friends had no idea that the new iPhone is coming, and no, they do not live in a cave.

2. The Apple Store has classes running all day long on Saturday and Sunday, and even on Friday night.

I really do think that most stores will be rather normal on Friday, except for a slight rush in the morning. That's my prediction...

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They don't expect a big crowd? So they aren't releasing many details?

Wow what planet do you live on.

First of all, many people know about the 3G iPhone. Not EVERYONE does, but there are millions of people that do, thanks mostly to the media. The media this week is going to pick up rapidly about the iPhone, exactly like it did last year. It already is starting to.

If Apple thought no one was really interested or knew about the 3G iPhone, it would be smarter for them to push TV ads. They don't need to.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Theory as to why there's so few details being released:

IT'S APPLE.

4. honeycrisp thread starter macrumors regular

Dude, not everyone reads tech news. Remember that video from a couple of days ago where they went on the street and asked people about it? They didn't know anything.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I know at least one windows techie with Verizon switching to AT&T this Friday, just for iPhone.

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

They had classes and personal shoppers Saturday and Sunday last year for iPhone v1. Also, Apple didn't release the details until the Monday before the phone came out (which would have been today). I'd say they're pretty much on par with what they did last year. I'd expect them to announce all the details as soon as MobileMe goes live and/or iTunes 7.7 is released, whichever is first. And I'm thinking one (or both) will be here tomorrow.

Just because your friends don't know about it, doesn't mean it isn't a big deal. It's plastered all over the media, every AT&T store near me has huge posters in the windows, and I hear people at work that have never owned an Apple product before talking about it, simply due to the $199 price tag. I'd say the buzz is less then last year, yes, because it's not a brand new device, just an upgrade. But there's still a lot of buzz. What other cell phone do you recall lines for and people camping out for 7 days (other than the first iPhone)? I think Apple might be trying to keep low key to not over hype and under deliver. Also, if they hype it up too much, generate huge buzz and demand, and then sell out, people will be pissed. Remember, last year they had to supply phones to just the US on launch. This year they're supplying to 20+ countries at launch. That's a lot more phones they need.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

DUDE, some people watch the news, and i know for a fact i've seen something on the news about the iPhone at least once a week since WWDC. It's also probably the biggest news channel in Chicago. Just because YOU or someone from a video asked a few people doesn't mean the world has no clue about the new iPhone.

9. honeycrisp thread starter macrumors regular

Well first of all, just because it's on the news doesn't mean people will line up for it. Also, just because people may get one doesn't mean they will this weekend. Lots of people are tied up in contracts, etc.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh, your first post stated that people don't know about the 3G iPhone. That's what we are talking about.

I don't understand what point you are trying to get across in this thread. You name it a reason why few details are being released, and then say because people are tied up in contracts there isn't going to be a demand.

There is going to be a demand, it's quite clear.

And also, it's quite different around here too. I know a lot of people. They don't follow the iPhone like i do, but all of us aren't computer nerds who read engadget. A majority of them know about the 3G iPhone.

11. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

And they weren't last year?

12. honeycrisp thread starter macrumors regular

Well I guess we'll see what happens, but for now, we're not even sure when they are opening their store. I said it's a THEORY that there will not be a big crowd. Read carefully please.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No crowds expected. They're only opening at 8am.

Attached Files:

14. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I am pretty sure they are living in a cave. This morning ... my *grandmother* asked if I was upgrading to the new iPhone.

Do you _really_ think the stores aren't going to be a mad house ?? Hell, look at how last launch was and now its way cheaper.

15. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Last year had more hype I saw stuff on TV about it all the time. For this one all I see is stuff on websites. Not that many people my age know about the iPhone 3G release on Friday. So I'm not expecting it to be that big here of course my town is considered "small" compared to most places.

16. elbirth macrumors 65816

where'd you see that ad? All I see on the main apple store website is that but without the time stamped on there at the bottom

17. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

got to love apple

18. aforty macrumors 65816

Ding ding ding. We have a WINNER!

19. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The hype for this iPhone is no where near the hype we had last year. Just accept that. A lot of people know about it, but I doubt people will line up at the magnitude that we saw last year. I have not seen a lot of it on the media, but maybe that's just me, as compared to last year. THe ATT Stores here in town do not have posters up about the new iPhone. This is Apple, yes, but the hype machine that Apple built last year is really unbeatable. I honestly don't think Apple expects crowds to be lining up at 8am Friday morning. Sure, some hardcore people will show up, but for the most part it will be a normal day with a bit more traffic. After all, the lines here at the ATT Store didn't really start forming till about 4pm last year, with the bulk coming at 5:30pm. I expect I'll pick mine up Saturday morning with not many issues, as I'll have to work Friday and will not be able to wait in line.

20. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

your friends have a life they simply don't care about capitalism?

21. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

so did you photoshop this picture.

theres nothing that says 8am on the apple site.

22. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/retail/ do some research next time..

23. admanimal macrumors 68040

O RLY?

http://www.apple.com/retail/