Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
They haven't come back in my case yet, the apple reseller down here replaced the display almost 3 months ago, i don't recall when they started to appear but i seem to think it was at the 2 month mark or something... i guess i'll have to wait a couple of more months to be sure tho.

esato

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
First off, thank you, Oggy!

I followed Oggy's instructions: tt took me well over two hours. My 2010 iMac had some brownish stains all over the top right corner of the screen.

After cleaning the display the stains were gone, but now I got 2 black spots, which are less annoying to me than the stains.

I'll try the procedure once again to see if I can get rid of the black spots.

Did any of you guys manage to get rid of all stains and black spots?

Oggy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Most of times, this "smudged display" problem on iMac is caused by heat. Especially comes from GPU heatsink on upper right corner. And that's where most smudge comes from.

Well, this is not true. It is just dust. And the problem is that the panel is not sealed good enough. But my 2 cents is that the problem is somewhere in the assemble line. Some are taped good and some are not.

I don't think you can prevent it anyhow if it's not sealed properly.

----------

After cleaning the display the stains were gone, but now I got 2 black spots, which are less annoying to me than the stains.

How did you get black spots? Can you put a photo of it?

Did you maybe squeeze/touch the LED with your fingers too hard?

It happened to me one time and I lost some pixels but eventually they came back.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Well, this is not true. It is just dust. And the problem is that the panel is not sealed good enough. But my 2 cents is that the problem is somewhere in the assemble line. Some are taped good and some are not.

My 2009 iMac suffered this problem, got screen replaced and sold it on and purchased 2011 iMac. Recently noticed the issue is beginning yet again, very mild at the moment but will likely spread.

Personally I believe it's a combination of the screen not being sealed and heat from the GPU / GPU heat sink - perhaps "burning dust". It does seem to predominantly (not exclusively) start around where the GPU heat sink is located. What ever it is it's a typical Apple design flaw (despite the hype there are a fair few across their range) and their obsession with a thin iMac form.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
My 2009 iMac suffered this problem, got screen replaced and sold it on and purchased 2011 iMac. Recently noticed the issue is beginning yet again, very mild at the moment but will likely spread.

Personally I believe it's a combination of the screen not being sealed and heat from the GPU / GPU heat sink - perhaps "burning dust". It does seem to predominantly (not exclusively) start around where the GPU heat sink is located. What ever it is it's a typical Apple design flaw (despite the hype there are a fair few across their range) and their obsession with a thin iMac form.

Damn .. suddenly that curse appear on your 2011 iMac too? Shame, right?
Other than this embarrassing display problem, this iMac is really damn fine computer.

You claim for a replacement yet?

:(

sofasurfer

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Mid 2011 i7 and I have just noticed the grey smudges in the top right corner when rebooting this morning. Nobody in the house smokes and not a big fan of scented candles so not a 'toxic' household.

I know it's not going to get any better so a trip to my local Apple store is in order. Not very happy to be honest as I spent the best part of £2300 on a computer which seems to have an inherent fault in it.

z4gunn

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Anyway to prevent smudges from occurring

I have a late 2009 27in iMac that developed the problem after about a year of use. I took it into the local Apple store and they gave me the same excuse that it is environmental related and kept asking if anyone smokes near the the unit.

No one smokes but I live in Phoenix AZ where environmental dust will always be an issue. They quoted me $600 to replace the LCD but were willing to go in half since I put up such a stink about the issue. I still think I am getting ripped off since this is clearly a design flaw, regardless how many units it actually effects.

I normally leave my computer on all the time an let it go into hibernate when not in use. I know the issue is going to come back, but has anyone had any luck by powering down the unit when not in use and using a cover over the unit to keep it as clean as possible?

f64

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
This is seriously dampening my enthusiasm for buying an Imac. And it's ticking me off!

esato

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012

----------

How did you get black spots? Can you put a photo of it?

Did you maybe squeeze/touch the LED with your fingers too hard?

It happened to me one time and I lost some pixels but eventually they came back.

The black spots were caused by tiny dust specks. Since then I have opened it again and they are gone now. But there still is some lint trapped in between the LCD matrix and the LED backlight. It is extremely difficult to make it totally lint free, isn't it?

Oggy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
I guess you would have to be cleaning it in totally dust free environment in order to get perfect results.

z4gunn

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
I have a late 2009 27in iMac that developed the problem after about a year of use. I took it into the local Apple store and they gave me the same excuse that it is environmental related and kept asking if anyone smokes near the the unit.

No one smokes but I live in Phoenix AZ where environmental dust will always be an issue. They quoted me $600 to replace the LCD but were willing to go in half since I put up such a stink about the issue. I still think I am getting ripped off since this is clearly a design flaw, regardless how many units it actually effects.

I normally leave my computer on all the time an let it go into hibernate when not in use. I know the issue is going to come back, but has anyone had any luck by powering down the unit when not in use and using a cover over the unit to keep it as clean as possible?

Well, $300 later and I am back with a brand new LCD. It never looked so good, but the question is how long until the symptoms come back? The tech said the unit had a lot of dust inside which was the root cause of the dust burn-in on the LCD.

I do not keep it near a window, and it is in a air conditioned room, which is cleaned weekly. There is nothing more I can do to prevent this from happening again.

My recommendations for everyone buying a new iMac is to purchase the extra Apple Care. My advice for everyone with the screen problem is to cut your losses and sell it on EBay.

intelimac

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Thanks Oggy

This has given me some hope for my 2010 iMac 27 thats got an ugly grey blotchy screen :) - It's also starting to happen on my Mid 2011 iMac 27 :( but thats under warranty at present so i will go and make apple replace the lcd.

Can I ask you Oggy is the Connector to the Glass LCD Panel at the Top or bottom of the Display once you take the metal frame off.

What mean is when the display is fitted into the iMac is it Where the Apple Logo is on the Chin of iMac or the top of the iMac. - Just so i know which end to carefully lift.

Many Thanks for your effort in making this possible for other iMac users.

Best Regards

Oggy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
It is on the top side! Be very careful with it!!! Don't even touch these film connectors. Do not lift the LED too much! Just enough that your hand can fit in and clean the dust.

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287667&d=1306956612

This is too much! https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287669&d=1306956612

And try not to grab it at the corner or the edge like i did on this picture. Corners are fragile and the weight of the LED might crack it. It happened to me once. :(

And i should have used some fine gloves now that I think of it!

----------

The tech said the unit had a lot of dust inside which was the root cause of the dust burn-in on the LCD.

The root cause is a design/sealing or assembly flaw!

Last edited:

z4gunn

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
It is on the top side! Be very careful with it!!! Don't even touch these film connectors. Do not lift the LED too much! Just enough that your hand can fit in and clean the dust.

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287667&d=1306956612

This is too much! https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287669&d=1306956612

And try not to grab it at the corner or the edge like i did on this picture. Corners are fragile and the weight of the LED might crack it. It happened to me once. :(

And i should have used some fine gloves now that I think of it!

----------

The root cause is a design/sealing or assembly flaw!

Oggy,

I agree that the lack of prevention from dust penetrating the case is a design/assembly issue.

I also believe that Apple must be very confident that this is not a wide spread problem. I base this on the fact that Apple has done nothing in the last 3 years to improve the design and prevent this problem. Either they are extremely ignorant, arrogant, or maybe a litte bit of both. One thing for sure is that I lost a little faith in their products due to this issue.

I am most appreciative that you have provided thourough instruction on cleaning the inside of the LCD, although I hope that I never have to tackle this task in the future.

Z4gunn

Oggy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Oggy -

Once you cleaned, did the spots reappear?

Thanks

No. Eleven moths later - still no smudges. :)

----------

I also believe that Apple must be very confident that this is not a wide spread problem.

Z4gunn

I agree on this one. We, the ones who have this problem, must be in the minority. Otherwise, Apple would do something about it. :)

intelimac

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Many thanks for clarifying this Oggy

If they Sealed the LCD Screen Area off from the Logic Board Area or put a Working Seal between the Backlight & LCD Glass we would not have this problem. I must say my next mac won't' Have a Screen Built in , Mac Pro or Mini from now on.

Thanks for the help Oggy ( 5 STARS )

Oggy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
I saw somewhere a funny recommendation for this! Please, don't take it seriously :)

A guy closed the bathroom door and opened hot water that produced steam. After the steam settled down he thought it was a dust free environment. :D

I guess it was dust free, but the humidity?

Don't try it! :)

esato

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
I saw somewhere a funny recommendation for this! Please, don't take it seriously :)

A guy closed the bathroom door and opened hot water that produced steam. After the steam settled down he thought it was a dust free environment. :D

I guess it was dust free, but the humidity?

Don't try it! :)

LOL :D

I couldn't even try it! My bathroom is not big enough... the iMac is huge.

intelimac

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I Think Apple Should Pay OGGY as he has done a far better job than Apple has done in supporting it's Unfortunate iMac Users.

It's the Double Standards of Apple thats Plain Wrong

Apple Say - They won't Honour there Warranty if the user is a Smoker because it's a Hazardous Substance. Then you read that Apple is coming under fire for dumping toxic waste materials that could threaten public health from there Manufacturing Process.

ARTICLE : http://signalnews.com/apple-toxic-dumping-pollution-china-688

No the Truth is Apple is Using any Excuse to Void a users Warranty ( Candles, Windows Open, Smoking, Dust ) Not Sure about Flatulance or Breathing Yet :)

I Signed this sites Petition.

http://imacscreenfault.solidwebhost.com

Oggy you should Ask Apple for some Wages that are owing to you :)

pajamma

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
So disappointing

Add one more to the list. Shortly after taking a 27" i5 in to replace a failed hard disk, the gray smudges started growing all over the screen. Genius at the same store told me today that it's definitely a defective monitor, but since we didn't buy Apple Care, it would be $606 plus tax to fix.

I will not be buying any additional iMacs for this company. This is clearly a flawed design or manufacturing process, effectively making these disposable computers.

Imagine trying to do photo work with these gray marks on the screen.

8naKA.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.