Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 14 lineup is the first iPhone series to not include a display size below six inches, despite sticking with the 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch form factors of previous generations that included a 5.4-inch model. So why did Apple eliminate the "mini" device that some iPhone customers had come to love?

iPhone-mini-wonder-feature-yellow.jpg

Apple debuted the iPhone 12 mini in 2020 following years of calls from iPhone fans for the company to offer a small-screen device with the latest features. When Apple did so, it was assumed that the small form factor would persist for several years – but it appears that the device has come to a premature end upon the release of the iPhone 14 lineup.

Concerns first arose when the iPhone 12 mini appeared to not be selling as well as Apple had hoped, making up just six percent of iPhone 12 sales in the U.S. in October and November 2020, according to data gathered by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP). Counterpoint Research reported that the iPhone 12 mini accounted for only five percent of all iPhone 12 sales in the U.S. in the first half of January 2021.

Morgan Stanley believed that Apple chose to cut production of the iPhone 12 mini by two million units to create more manufacturing capacity for the more popular iPhone 12 Pro. This was mirrored by a Taiwanese report, citing supply chain sources, which said that strong demand for ‌iPhone 12 Pro‌ models in China led Apple to increase its supply of the more expensive devices.

Most strikingly, JP Morgan Chase claimed that Apple outright halted iPhone 12 mini production in the second quarter of 2021. While the sales reports for the iPhone 12 mini did not bode well for the iPhone 13 mini, Apple plans its iPhone production and supply chain operations well in advance of launch, meaning that the iPhone 13 mini was already well on the way to production by the time the issues with the iPhone 12 mini's sales were clear.

In April 2022, CIRP released more data suggesting that the iPhone 13 mini accounted for just 3 percent of iPhone 13 sales – half that of the iPhone 12 mini. These continued poor sales were likely the main reason behind the demise of the "mini" form factor iPhone.

With the iPhone 14 lineup, Apple has opted to replace the "mini" device with an all-new "Plus" device. In some respects, the iPhone 14 Plus mirrors the iPhone 12 mini, offering the latest iPhone's features in a different display size. Instead of offering a lightweight small-screen option, customers can now choose an even bigger battery and 6.7-inch display – the same size that iPhone "Max" customers have been used to for over four years now at a price of $1,099 – but at a lower, $899 price point.

Article Link: There Is No iPhone 14 Mini: Here's Why [Updated]

Last edited:

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
I waited for the reveal of the iPhone 14 on 07.09.22 and bought an iPhone 13 mini when the rumors became true that there is no 14 mini.

The mini size and weight is ideal for me because I can use it one handed and it fits in every pocket. I had an 12 mini but upgraded (prematurely) to the 13 mini because I plan to hold on my mini for a very long time (or until a new mini comes out).

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The Mini can do well in the lineup. It just needs to be much cheaper than a starting price of $700 USD which it was for two years.

It’s a niche category at this point. But I truly believe it can be a viable part of the iPhone lineup for years to come as long as they offer it at a lower starting price. Even the current $600 USD feels too high. Ideally somewhere between $400 - $500 one day. And they can just update it every 2-3 years like an SE.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like the marketing wasn’t really there for the duration of the two generations of mini. Certainly not how it seems to be already with the 14 series (e.g. “Big and Bigger“; the fisheye presentation of the devices during the keynote).

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple already pulled the price lever by selling iPhone 12 mini for $599. The demand simply isn’t there.

Look at the marketing for the XR or 11. There was virtually none yet both those ended up being the best selling smartphones globally in 2019 and 2020.

At this point, Apple has tried everything: price, performance, 5G. They even did a mid-cycle refresh by adding purple colors. Time to bid farewell and face reality. Most people want big phones for battery life and longer screen time.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
The iPhone 14 and 13 are so similar that one of the few things that set them apart is that extra GPU core enabled in the SoC. It makes sense enabling that in the standard and plus-size models but not in the mini, where thermal headroom and battery capacity is smaller.

The iPhone 13 mini is thus almost as relevant today as it was a year ago and is still officially in the lineup.

ErzWolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2022
Maybe they should take a Pro approach for the Mini, even putting a higher price tag on it than the normal pro.
I would die for an Iphone 15 Pro Mini, with all screen display and magic island, stainless steel frame, just one camera lense with a Periscopic telephoto camera, and in that awesome space black Color.
Would even pay as much as for a Pro Max.

techfirth

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Screw all this cr*p about there being no market. We’ll never actually know if that’s the case or not, because Apple never gave the Pro crowd the option of buying a smaller device. The assumption that mini owners wouldn’t want better cameras or other premium features included in the Pro lineup means that Apple only tested the non-Pro crowd, who are more likely to be business users / slow upgraders.

There should have been a mini variant of the Pro. It’s that simple.

It’s high time Apple used their wizardry to go back to a dual-camera form factor to only include the ultra-wide and a telephoto lenses. They could definitely find ample middle ground between lenses using software at this point.

Last edited:

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Just not enough interest in that size anymore which sucks for those who do enjoy it. If the Plus sells well, it’ll just further solidify Apple’s decision. Otherwise maybe they’ll do a new mini, just not every year.

Reactions: macvicta

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
iPhone mini was a best product for a time when people go around and need phone for a pocket. Mini arrived when COVID was at its best: people at home don't need pocketable devices. Meanwhile, people are used to enormous phone, and they call it "pocketable computer" but wasn't enable to mark a pdf, edit a file with Pages, Numbers or iMovie, but "needs" enormous screens. BTW US is the country of "go big or go home", the times when miniaturization was a benefit are gone decades ago. It's more simple for commercial products: people follow trends, had "PRO MEGA ULTRA ENORMOUS PHONE" its better than had an equilibrated phone, that is a phone. "With my PRO MEGA ULTRA ENORMOUS PHONE I don't need a tablet or a computer!" but he has "PRO MEGA ULTRA ENORMOUS TABLET", "PRO MEGA ULTRA ENORMOUS MAC", PRO MEGA ULTRA ENORMOUS WATCH". Why? Because there are more money than brains around the world, and someone believe that Apple products are comestible.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like the marketing wasn’t really there for the duration of the two generations of mini. Certainly not how it seems to be already with the 14 series (e.g. “Big and Bigger“; the fisheye presentation of the devices during the keynote).

The slogan for iPhone 12 was “Big News. Mini News.” Marketing wasn’t at fault here. Demand was. Not to mention iPhone 12 was a super cycle.

techfirth

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
The Mini can do well in the lineup. It just needs to be much cheaper than a starting price of $700 USD which it was for two years.

It’s a niche category at this point. But I truly believe it can be a viable part of the iPhone lineup for years to come as long as they offer it at a lower starting price. Even the current $600 USD feels too high. Ideally somewhere between $400 - $500 one day. And they can just update it every 2-3 years like an SE.
No, no no - you’ve succumbed to Apple’s flawed thinking on the mini. The solution isn’t to dumb the phone down further to make it even less desirable for current users, it needs to be an equal among the range. It needs a Pro option with a telephoto lens and the same cosmetic touches.

I reluctantly bought the 13 mini knowing the rumours about its demise because I love the form factor, but it kills me every time I use it to take a photo that it has no pro photography potential. The way to get it in the hands of users is not to foster the mindset at the point of purchase that you can have “pro or mini” - that approach is effectively killing 50% of its potential market.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Screw all this cr*p about there being no market. We’ll never actually know if that’s the case or not, because Apple never gave the Pro crowd the option of buying a smaller device. The assumption that mini owners wouldn’t want better cameras or other premium features included in the Pro lineup means that Apple only tested the non-Pro crowd, who are more likely to be business users / slow upgraders.

There should have been a mini variant of the Pro. It’s that simple.

It’s high time Apple used their wizardry to go back to a dual-camera form factor to only include the ultra-wide and a telephoto lenses. They could definitely find ample middle ground between lenses using software at this point.

It’s called physics. People already complained about the poor battery life, yet you want Apple to shrink the battery further to make room for a telephoto lens? The reality is, the form factor wasn’t appealing in 2020 and it won’t be in the future.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Sadly, XR is the next SE.
Xr is just a bigger mini...we dont know that the next SE will have 6.1" or 5.4" like the current mini
The rumours are about the design language of the next SE but we dont know the display size...so if its an iPhone 5.4" it will be the next mini+SE combined. I dont see Apple to place 6.1" in the cheapest iphone, but maybe ill be wrong. But i do hope Apple to keep a smaller size in the line-up an iphone 5.4" Lcd panel starting from under $500

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.