Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
My opinion why the mini didn't sell well - it doesn't have Apple's best camera.

If the iPhone Mini had a Pro camera system, it would fly off the shelves.

Aside from being a phone, the camera is the main reason people buy an iPhone.

The iPhone Mini then, is for folks who don't care about the camera, which is where the niche is.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
My opinion why the mini didn't sell well - it doesn't have Apple's best camera.

If the iPhone Mini had a Pro camera system, it would fly off the shelves.

Aside from being a phone, the camera is the main reason people buy an iPhone.

The iPhone Mini then, is for folks who don't care about the camera, which is where the niche is.
I bought my iPhone mini for the size convenience. I didn't want to carry a big lump around in my shirt pocket. Although I must admit I'm not part of the usual demographic as I don't think I've ever taken a selfie or felt the urge to photograph my friends in a shopping mall or cocktail bar.

If I want to take a decent photo, I will use my Nikon DSLR or Leica Q!

leeuk321

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
I am typing this on an iPhone 13 mini. I want a phone, not a mini tablet, which is what most phones seem to be.

I think there are three kinds of consumers:

1. Those who have been using smart phones since the early days when they were all small (and used old nokias before that, which were even smaller), and never got on board with this “big phone” trend.

2. Those who once used to small phones long ago, but eventually gave in and bought a big one because they wanted the latest tech.

3. Those who are too young to remember when phones were small, and have only ever used the big ones.

The third group is a lost cause for selling small phones to. They will never appreciate small phones, because if you’ve never used a small phone before, it probably takes some adjustment to type on it, etc. And they’ve never questioned why it’s ludicrous to carry around a mini tablet and call it a phone. Seriously, just get a tablet!

I think all of Gen Z and a lot of Millennials are in this third group.

The second group is kind of fickle and harder to predict, but are mainly sold on having the latest features I think.

I obviously belong to the first group. I first used an iPhone 3G. The I used an iPhone 4, which was a bit bigger but still manageable. I stayed on iPhone 4 for quite some time, and got very comfortable with it. By the time I was considering upgrading, the iPhone SE Gen 1 had just come out. The SE was yet larger but the upgrade was worth it, and the fact that Apple was selling it cheaper was just a bonus. Mainly, I held out upgrading because I wanted a normal size phone (by 3G and 4 standards).

Then, I stayed on SE Gen 1 for a very long time, longer than I wanted to. Apple could have sold me a new phone sooner if they made one appealing. I considered SE Gen 2 when it came out, but since it was larger than the Gen 1, I just couldn’t get excited about buying it. SE Gen 2 is already large enough to worry me that it would cramp my style.

I thought Apple had abandoned me. Finally, one day I walked into an Apple Store and saw an iPhone 12 Mini, and I knew they finally made a phone for me. The “Mini” was the perfect name because it embodies the idea of Apple taking all their latest tech and squeezing it down into a small form-factor. Not a budget phone full of old gen parts but current hardware. I almost pulled the trigger immediately but decided to wait and ultimately ended up with iPhone 13 Mini.

Of course tradeoffs are to be expected. It doesn’t have a huge battery to give me wrist strain holding it for long periods of time. I can take it everywhere, barely feel it in my pocket…basically I don’t have to change my life around to accommodate the phone. I can fit multiple things in my pocket with the phone too.

Battery life is reasonable. I use it a lot and occasionally it has died on me, but it’s more convenient to regularly charge it than to have a mini tablet as a phone. And you can always bring a battery pack if going somewhere where you need the extra juice.
Bit late to this thread, but I completely echo the points you made. My first phone was the fabled Nokia 3210 - man I loved that phone - but as technology progressed I flowed with the tide, with my first iPhone being the iPhone 4.

I loved the form factor up to the iPhone 7, which I kept for years until the poor battery life (and other things, but mainly the battery life) forced an upgrade.

So in comes the iPhone 12, which I’ve had for the past 2+ years, but I’ve never got used to it. It just feels too large to comfortably use with one hand, and too cumbersome in summer clothes. I feel like I’m serving the phone, rather than the other way around, like owning a big dog.

I was tempted by the iPhone 12 mini, but didn’t go for it purely because of the reports of won’t-quite-last-a-day battery life, which was #1 priority for me coming off the iPhone 7.

Anyway, ever since hearing about the iPhone 13 mini having roughly equivalent battery life to the iPhone 12 - which I know is enough for me - I thought “Okay - the iPhone 14 mini is the next phone for me”.

Of course, the iPhone 14 mini didn’t transpire, so I ordered the 13 mini at a good price, which I’m going to put in a full-body case and keep hold of until the next 5.4” iteration gets released, whenever that might be.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I bought my iPhone mini for the size convenience. I didn't want to carry a big lump around in my shirt pocket. Although I must admit I'm not part of the usual demographic as I don't think I've ever taken a selfie or felt the urge to photograph my friends in a shopping mall or cocktail bar.

If I want to take a decent photo, I will use my Nikon DSLR or Leica Q!
Coming from a 12 mini and my DSLR, I bought a 14 Pro hoping to get some decent photos when I don’t have my camera with me. I’ve taken a few photos I’m happy with, but it’s not going to replace my DSLR.

The camera being one of the main reasons I got the 14 Pro, I’m kind of hoping I can go back to a mini for my next phone. Hopefully the 13 mini isn’t the last.

Reactions: canonical and LV426

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
I am typing this on an iPhone 13 mini. I want a phone, not a mini tablet, which is what most phones seem to be.

I think there are three kinds of consumers:

1. Those who have been using smart phones since the early days when they were all small (and used old nokias before that, which were even smaller), and never got on board with this “big phone” trend.

2. Those who once used to small phones long ago, but eventually gave in and bought a big one because they wanted the latest tech.

3. Those who are too young to remember when phones were small, and have only ever used the big ones.

The third group is a lost cause for selling small phones to. They will never appreciate small phones, because if you’ve never used a small phone before, it probably takes some adjustment to type on it, etc. And they’ve never questioned why it’s ludicrous to carry around a mini tablet and call it a phone. Seriously, just get a tablet!

I think all of Gen Z and a lot of Millennials are in this third group.

The second group is kind of fickle and harder to predict, but are mainly sold on having the latest features I think.

I obviously belong to the first group. I first used an iPhone 3G. The I used an iPhone 4, which was a bit bigger but still manageable. I stayed on iPhone 4 for quite some time, and got very comfortable with it. By the time I was considering upgrading, the iPhone SE Gen 1 had just come out. The SE was yet larger but the upgrade was worth it, and the fact that Apple was selling it cheaper was just a bonus. Mainly, I held out upgrading because I wanted a normal size phone (by 3G and 4 standards).

Then, I stayed on SE Gen 1 for a very long time, longer than I wanted to. Apple could have sold me a new phone sooner if they made one appealing. I considered SE Gen 2 when it came out, but since it was larger than the Gen 1, I just couldn’t get excited about buying it. SE Gen 2 is already large enough to worry me that it would cramp my style.

I thought Apple had abandoned me. Finally, one day I walked into an Apple Store and saw an iPhone 12 Mini, and I knew they finally made a phone for me. The “Mini” was the perfect name because it embodies the idea of Apple taking all their latest tech and squeezing it down into a small form-factor. Not a budget phone full of old gen parts but current hardware. I almost pulled the trigger immediately but decided to wait and ultimately ended up with iPhone 13 Mini.

Of course tradeoffs are to be expected. It doesn’t have a huge battery to give me wrist strain holding it for long periods of time. I can take it everywhere, barely feel it in my pocket…basically I don’t have to change my life around to accommodate the phone. I can fit multiple things in my pocket with the phone too.

Battery life is reasonable. I use it a lot and occasionally it has died on me, but it’s more convenient to regularly charge it than to have a mini tablet as a phone. And you can always bring a battery pack if going somewhere where you need the extra juice.
I’m gen z and prefer small phones, in my personal life it’s old people I notice who want the giant ones because they can see better and they don’t know how to use a computer so they use their phone as their primary device

bikemanbikeman

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Maine, USA
I 100% agree, I hate large phones, the market is smaller these day so hopefully every 2 or 3 years they bring out a new mini phone. Phones are supposed to be small. Never wanted a tablet I like my small iPhones and MacBook pro's

bikemanbikeman

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Maine, USA
I’m gen z and prefer small phones, in my personal life it’s old people I notice who want the giant ones because they can see better and they don’t know how to use a computer so they use their phone as their primary device
fair point, I like my phone small ill make the text larger, I think many young people prefer big

• Sad
Reactions: tridley68

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I waited for the reveal of the iPhone 14 on 07.09.22 and bought an iPhone 13 mini when the rumors became true that there is no 14 mini.

The mini size and weight is ideal for me because I can use it one handed and it fits in every pocket. I had an 12 mini but upgraded (prematurely) to the 13 mini because I plan to hold on my mini for a very long time (or until a new mini comes out).
If I was in your position I'd have kept the 12 mini then only upgrade to the 13 mini when the last old stock unit was being liquidated due to lack of demand.

So buy the 12 mini in 2020 then buy the sealed box 13 mini by year 2023/2024 then production halts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.