There is still hope for a 4,3'' screen on the 5S !

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
If the 5S comes with a 4.3 inch screen and a decent increase in battery life (not to mention the rumored increase in capacity at same price), it will make my decision to upgrade a no brained. I currently have an 8 gig iPhone 4 and I need more speed, larger screen and have very little space left.

With only a 4 inch screen that doesn't even offer a wider screen, I'll be thinking seriously of skipping an upgrade and waiting for the iPhone 6.
I honestly think in your position no matter what the iPhone 5S offers it won't be nearly as good as a jump from your 4 -> future 6. I'm holding out for the 6, and I would really welcome a larger screen as well! :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
PPI is lower. Resolution remains the same. It's just being stretched out. No thank you.
If the PPI is still in the "Retina" category, meaning more than the average human eye can see, it wouldn't be totally a shock. The iPad has fewer PPI, but I can't really notice it. Hell, my parents say they can't tell the difference between the iPad 2 and iPad 3. They're not blind.

Paskell

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Wishful thinking. There is NO WAY Apple will change the screen size this year.
Why wouldn't they because the 4-4s was the same.. They basically have to do something different people want a bit bigger screen the 5 is just longer it looks unperportioned. Too many people will buy android phone with big beautiful screens if apple doesn't step up there game. a few trinkets won't help. Ios7 will be nice but it needs a nice screen to e enjoyed and the 3.5/4" is played out and old news

----------

If the 5S comes with a 4.3 inch screen and a decent increase in battery life (not to mention the rumored increase in capacity at same price), it will make my decision to upgrade a no brained. I currently have an 8 gig iPhone 4 and I need more speed, larger screen and have very little space left.

With only a 4 inch screen that doesn't even offer a wider screen, I'll be thinking seriously of skipping an upgrade and waiting for the iPhone 6.
I agree I have a 4s and the upgrade to a 5 is a joke longer screen is a sad upgrade. Even 5s as it may be called if its the same size as 5 that's a skip or a few new trinkets.. I hope they skip the "s" and fill the slot with the 5c and this new flagship will be the 6 with atleast a bit wider screen 4.7 would be the gravy spot.

JulianL

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I'd take a 22ppi lower display if its going from IPS to IGZO without a second thought. If it was 4.3", well thats a no brainer for me. That allow could add 1.5 - 2 times more battery life for heavy users that have the screen on much of the day.

I doubt we'll see IGZO though. Sharp stated at CES 2013 (in January I think) the US market won't see a IGZO equipped smart phone for "quite sometime".
Even if Apple could get hold of IGZO now, I wonder whether they would/are saving IGZO for the 2014 iPhone when they'll go for a noticeably bigger screen (4.7"?) and could then use the same line to head off criticisms that they're behind the competition and playing catchup as the one that they used way back when copy and paste was introduced into iOS .

The line is essentially "We don't rush things out before they're ready (implication: like our competitors do), we wait until we can do something right before we release it. Behold the iPhone 6 with a significantly bigger screen and significantly better battery life.". IGZO could allow them to announce a big battery life boost at the same time as the big screen size increase.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Ever since the 3G, apple has done design changes every 2 years. Unless apple decides to do a 180, there will be no screen increase this year. To think otherwise is about as realistic as when Dubya said we won the war in Iraq. :rolleyes:

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I would like to see two things in 5S. One is a bit wider screen for making maps more readable on the road, and most importantly a swipe feature so I can text with the phone in one hand. I do hope Apple does make changes. If Samsung can change screen and phone sizes every year, there is no reason Apple should wait for two years for making changes to size. Without this, I am unlikely to buy a 5S. I have a mini and full sized iPad and would love to get a 5S but I am doubtful if Apple will give swipe input method. We just have to wait and see. As an Apple shareholder I do hope Apple is able to bring in new customers and not just depend on upgrades from existing users, because that would rate the stock as a utility stock with an exceptionally low dividend yield and further lower PE.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
2. I can use the S3 with one hand, and I don't have large hands. People learn to adapt.
I can adapt to use no phone at all. So whats your point again?

(In fact his opinion is also my opinion so we are already two. 2>1. It is quite easy to say one speaks not for the majority but its hard to proof. So please proof it before you tell him he is wrong.)

Damian.

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
They can put a larger screen if they want. As long as the current width of the iPhone doesn't change.
Exactly like how the OP showed.

I don't understand the people in this thread that say they don't wan't a larger screen if the iPhone width remains the same...
I mean the phone doesn't get any bigger then it already is. :confused:

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Still too small. They should give us 4.7 this year!
That would probably be the ideal size especially since they could make the screen that big and still make the phone approximately the same size. Still, coming from a 3.5 inch screen, a 4.3 inch screen would be enough for me to upgrade.

Hook1903

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I think 4.3 or 4.5 inc is the perfect size for a mobile phone.if you want a bigger screen,get a tablet

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I think it is when you are only talking 4.0" to begin with. Its very noticeable on the OP's mock ups.

For 4/4S users that's a HUGE bump IMO.
If the screen is 4.3" and it is wider and longer than the 5 then that is great. IMO the 4 and 4S had the perfect design. I love the design. If they wod do the 4/4S design with a 4.3" screen meaning no side bezels and less top and bottom with the sensors and A7... It would be a bit more the. What we got with the 4 to the 4S... I just don't think it'll happen..

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
OK, so we hope a 4.3" screen upgrade this year. What would Apple possibly bring to the table next year? Another upgrade to 4.7"??? Please, no.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
OK, so we hope a 4.3" screen upgrade this year. What would Apple possibly bring to the table next year? Another upgrade to 4.7"??? Please, no.
Same this year, and next year a 4.3 inch display. With any luck for those that want bigger, maybe Apple, if they can swing it, give a 4.5 inch display using the very same size case of the iphone 5. 4.7 and above in my opinion is a no go from Apple. Too darn big and Apples Tim Cook announced last year they want a phone that can be held and used with one hand. Never mind those that think the 5 inch or 5.5 will be just fine, they are not Apple. Go to Samsung or HTC for the other larger phones if it means that much to some.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I have been holding out the same hope since we have seen no leaks that I can remember for the front panel. I find it highly unlikely though, as if they were doing it there would be leaks. No way to keep something manufactured on this scale a secret.

mr.lavender

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2013
I don't really notice it that much. I mean sure, when you go back the iPhone 4S almost seems square. Which is weird right?

Bigger don't hurt that's all I know.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
4.3 would be awesome and I actually had the same idea you had OP when looking at my phone the other day. But to lose quality for .3 inches isnt worth it at all and there's no way apple would make a less PPI phone when all you seen now is 720p and 1080p screens.

Now to gain .3 inches and increase the PPI... now you're talking! but so not happening.

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
i just checked the MR "Roundups". this feature is really nice!

it has all the "info" we have so far, so it helps to cross reference rumors for different products and it made me think:

1. the logic board changes for the 5S, including the position of mounting screws ont the back plate and the position of the connectors of the screen on the logic board, led to the conclusion that we saw the leaked screen for the 5S with 4''.

2. it seems the position of the mounting screws is the same on the 5C's back plate as it is for the 5S.

3. we don't have the leaked screen of the 5C but we know it will be 4''.

so, maybe, just maybe, the logic board of the 5C is the same as the 5S (but with different chips) and the leaked screen that we think it's for the 5S, is in fact for the 5C...

all this for keeping the hope on a 4,3'' screen on the 5S :)

what do you think?

They're gonna have to up the resolution so it hits "retina" territory, which is 324 ppi