There should be a toggle in control centre to turn off cellular data & 3G

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
This would be way more useful than 'torch'.
Switching off cellular data and 3G is something I have to do every single time I connect to WiFi at home, otherwise my battery drains much faster and as I don't need the cellular/3G feature whilst at home, I may as well switch it off.

This would be more useful to me than anything else in notification centre, and certainly more useful than the torch feature. I used to use an app for that anyway.

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
Switching off cellular data and 3G is something I have to do every single time I connect to WiFi at home, otherwise my battery drains much faster and as I don't need the cellular/3G feature whilst at home, I may as well switch it off.

This would be more useful to me than anything else in notification centre, and certainly more useful than the torch feature. I used to use an app for that anyway.
How much faster does your battery drain with cell data on when you are using wifi? My experience is that it is negligible.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
How much faster does your battery drain with cell data on when you are using wifi? My experience is that it is negligible.
It just drains faster on 3G period, it isn't because I'm using WiFi. I have a poor signal at home and it drains the battery faster on 3G compared to 2G. So if I'm on WiFi and don't need to use cellular data, it makes sense to switch if off.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
It just drains faster on 3G period, it isn't because I'm using WiFi. I have a poor signal at home and it drains the battery faster on 3G compared to 2G. So if I'm on WiFi and don't need to use cellular data, it makes sense to switch if off.
You already said that. I asked how much faster. Or is it just one of those OCD things? :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

One can argue that way more people use the flashlight/torch, even occasionally, than do anything at all with cellular data/3G ever (as in not even occasionally, at certainly not even close to often).

What would make most sense is to be able to customize at least some of those items in Control Center so that people can put something that they use more often themselves.

Having said that, your battery shouldn't really be noticeably affected by leaving cellular data on while being connected to WiFi, and if it is, then there's likely something else that is going on somewhere.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
One can argue that way more people use the flashlight/torch, even occasionally, than do anything at all with cellular data/3G ever (as in not even occasionally, at certainly not even close to often).

What would make most sense is to be able to customize at least some of those items in Control Center so that people can put something that they use more often themselves.

Having said that, your battery shouldn't really be noticeably affected by leaving cellular data on while being connected to WiFi, and if it is, then there's likely something else that is going on somewhere.
So there is no discernible difference in battery life for you between having 3G on and 3G off?
It may not be so much the cellular data issue as 3G itself.
I do agree that NC should be customisable.

----------

You already said that. I asked how much faster. Or is it just one of those OCD things? :)
3G is well known to drain the battery faster and in my experience it does just that. I can get a noticeably longer battery life if I use 2G and I think in my case this might be to do with poor signal strength.
As for duration, I get over an hour's less usage time if I use 3G for the majority of my battery cycle, and that's with no phonecalls. Just basically having 3G switched on and sitting there.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Hmm. I leave LTE turned on, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. I actually seem to use more battery if I'm making a lot of calls.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

Switching off Cellular is something I NEVER do.

Switching on the "torch" is something I do all the time.

scrmtrey

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
I use torch quite often. Also i would love to have switch for 3G off on.

Now, it is only LTE (on/off) and cellular (on/off). But i dont have contract for LTE, so it is just pointless and ********.

It should be like this (switches for what your carriers offer) :

Cellular on off
3G on off
LTE on off

How hard is that to achieve? In low signal places, only edge is a huge battery life boost.

Last edited:

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
I toggle 3G every time I leave or arrive at home due to very weak signal which makes the iPhone constantly switch between 3G and edge. It sometimes also drops calls.

I turn on airplane mode every time I go to bed. So this would be usefull indeed.

sjtidy

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
You can turn on airplane mode, then turn wifi back on. Effectively turning off just cellular data/3G.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
You can turn on airplane mode, then turn wifi back on. Effectively turning off just cellular data/3G.
Yeah but then I would receive no SMS and no phonecalls. I want to be able to switch between 2G and 3G really easily/quickly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And also turning off cellular for calls and SMS which isn't something that the OP wants to do it would seem.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
How hard is that to achieve?
I say it every time this topic comes up:

The availability of these toggles will vary depending on which carrier's SIM is inserted into the device.

Exactly how the UI would adjust to the various combinations of icons is unknown and it could be the reason Apple has avoided such toggles.

spooky2k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2008
California

Cellular data and Location Services on/off are two things I use a lot. Adding those in control centre would save me a bit of time for sure.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Cellular data and Location Services on/off are two things I use a lot. Adding those in control centre would save me a bit of time for sure.
Exactly. Lots of people rave about control centre and cite it as THE reason to upgrade to iOS7, but for me it's of very limited help. I only use the screen rotate lock and very occasionally the torch, for everything else I have to go to the settings menu. I had a torch app anyway, so would gladly give up that button for killing 3G and cellular data.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
Nice! I wouldn't have a need to do this but I didn't realize Siri had that capability (as I never use it). Good to know.
Yeah, it probably takes just as much time asking Siri as it does to swipe up and tap an icon. I agree though that there should be more toggles in Control Center though. You can ask Siri to adjust many settings.

Attachments