There should be a toggle in control centre to turn off cellular data & 3G

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sunking101, Mar 28, 2014.

1. sunking101, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

This would be way more useful than 'torch'.
    Switching off cellular data and 3G is something I have to do every single time I connect to WiFi at home, otherwise my battery drains much faster and as I don't need the cellular/3G feature whilst at home, I may as well switch it off.

This would be more useful to me than anything else in notification centre, and certainly more useful than the torch feature. I used to use an app for that anyway.

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

How much faster does your battery drain with cell data on when you are using wifi? My experience is that it is negligible.

3. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

It just drains faster on 3G period, it isn't because I'm using WiFi. I have a poor signal at home and it drains the battery faster on 3G compared to 2G. So if I'm on WiFi and don't need to use cellular data, it makes sense to switch if off.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You already said that. I asked how much faster. Or is it just one of those OCD things? :)

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

One can argue that way more people use the flashlight/torch, even occasionally, than do anything at all with cellular data/3G ever (as in not even occasionally, at certainly not even close to often).

What would make most sense is to be able to customize at least some of those items in Control Center so that people can put something that they use more often themselves.

Having said that, your battery shouldn't really be noticeably affected by leaving cellular data on while being connected to WiFi, and if it is, then there's likely something else that is going on somewhere.

6. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

So there is no discernible difference in battery life for you between having 3G on and 3G off?
    It may not be so much the cellular data issue as 3G itself.
    I do agree that NC should be customisable.

----------

3G is well known to drain the battery faster and in my experience it does just that. I can get a noticeably longer battery life if I use 2G and I think in my case this might be to do with poor signal strength.
    As for duration, I get over an hour's less usage time if I use 3G for the majority of my battery cycle, and that's with no phonecalls. Just basically having 3G switched on and sitting there.

7. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Doesn't turning on Airplane mode do just that ?

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Airplane mode also disables phone calls and wifi. He just wants to easier access to the cellular data toggle in the Settings app.

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Hmm. I leave LTE turned on, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. I actually seem to use more battery if I'm making a lot of calls.

10. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Switching off Cellular is something I NEVER do.

Switching on the "torch" is something I do all the time.

11. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

You have no electricity? :)

12. scrmtrey, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

I use torch quite often. Also i would love to have switch for 3G off on.

Now, it is only LTE (on/off) and cellular (on/off). But i dont have contract for LTE, so it is just pointless and ********.

It should be like this (switches for what your carriers offer) :

Cellular on off
    3G on off
    LTE on off

How hard is that to achieve? In low signal places, only edge is a huge battery life boost.

13. notrack macrumors 6502

I toggle 3G every time I leave or arrive at home due to very weak signal which makes the iPhone constantly switch between 3G and edge. It sometimes also drops calls.

I turn on airplane mode every time I go to bed. So this would be usefull indeed.

14. sjtidy macrumors member

You can turn on airplane mode, then turn wifi back on. Effectively turning off just cellular data/3G.

15. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah but then I would receive no SMS and no phonecalls. I want to be able to switch between 2G and 3G really easily/quickly.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

And also turning off cellular for calls and SMS which isn't something that the OP wants to do it would seem.

17. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I think you are referring to the control center and not the notification center.

18. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Yes indeed, you are correct. I got my terms muddled up. :)

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I say it every time this topic comes up:

The availability of these toggles will vary depending on which carrier's SIM is inserted into the device.

Exactly how the UI would adjust to the various combinations of icons is unknown and it could be the reason Apple has avoided such toggles.

20. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Cellular data and Location Services on/off are two things I use a lot. Adding those in control centre would save me a bit of time for sure.

21. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Exactly. Lots of people rave about control centre and cite it as THE reason to upgrade to iOS7, but for me it's of very limited help. I only use the screen rotate lock and very occasionally the torch, for everything else I have to go to the settings menu. I had a torch app anyway, so would gladly give up that button for killing 3G and cellular data.

22. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I like control centre but I think there should be a button in settings that let's you customize control centre to whatever you want.

23. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Nice! I wouldn't have a need to do this but I didn't realize Siri had that capability (as I never use it). Good to know.

24. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Yeah, it probably takes just as much time asking Siri as it does to swipe up and tap an icon. I agree though that there should be more toggles in Control Center though. You can ask Siri to adjust many settings.

Attached Files: