There won't be any official GM this time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rpp3po, Oct 12, 2007.

1. rpp3po macrumors regular

Apple has given in to the filesharers being much faster at distributing the GM than they would be able to produce DVD's in quantity. As soon as declared GM the clocks count backwards. As the GM spreads through file sharing networks loyal customers get left behind more and more when non-paying customers can't wait to start the party early.

So don't expect anything. Apple is going to keep just quiet. The GM is going to be an Apple internal build or they just deny identity between the last seed and GM until mass shipment.

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

As long as we are speculating; I doubt it. This would prevent third party software developers from testing their apps on 10.5.0 and fixing their code before the release.

Who cares if illegal downloaders get to use it before the paying customers? The current release is pretty close to the real thing and cheaters get to use it anyways. You will only delay their enjoyment of a few bugfixes for two weeks; big deal...

3. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Agreed. It would be a bad move for Apple to snub its ADC members like this.

4. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

You know how stupid it is security wise to download your OS from some torrent site? I can just read it now with the all it would take is... well no im not going there but it' such! a bad idea.

5. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

It may be stupid legally and morally wise, but not security wise if you know what you do. Just compare the checksums of the downloaded image with a posted checksum of a real disk. Any owner of the real disk can post checksums legally. No way for any evil code to slip in this way. No question that you shouldn't take the checksum from the same source as the torrent.

Apple has nothing to gain by decalring anything GM in public. ADC members also don't need to know. They care if anything they are testing upon is going to stay stable until release. Apple can provide this information without declaring an released image GM.

The info is probably going out anyway. You can't place a cop behind every media manufacturing worker. But I hold up that Apple's trying to keep quiet this time.

That's a monetary issue. A big wave of Fanboys are going to get their hands on the pirated releases before Apple can ship the real deal to them, not because they are regular P2P users, but because they want it so bad. These people would be guaranteed buyers in a world without P2P, but many of them won't buy if Leopards-GM is running just fine. "Normal" P2P users wouldn't buy a lot of stuff they download even if it was unavailable for free. The Leopard "very early adopters" represent lost revenue to a much higher extend.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

maybe there is no official external GM because they are adding some 'well tested' top secret features. This way they can do very specific testing to check that they didn't break anything.

7. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

There is not going to be any top secret features. It is far to long into the development process to be working on anything new, and anything that is changed could screw up developers applications that they are already working on. That, and no amount of in house testing would make a product ready for prime time. Were not talking about an application like iTunes, we are talking about an Operating System. The stakes are much higher, and Apple can't add last minute features and expect all to be fine.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah i know meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, however they could added features through included applications that way it wouldn't screw up the OS.

9. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

OP has a good point. With the ability of mass distributing methods available now, Apple has more to gain by keeping the GM as close to themselves as possible.

OSX is unhackable, what could some crazy guy do to it that cant be reversed by reinstalling with ur legit Tiger cd?
    Also, what is stopping the same people from labeling the first public dev release as the GM version? That would really mess with alot of people's heads :)

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The term "public dev release" is an oxymoron..Dev releases aren't "public".They are released privately to paying developers.

Apple may very well not release the GM to Devs but imho it would be a stupid move since devs do want to test their apps on a shipping version.

11. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

Well, this thread has ended. lol I don't think Apple would turn a cold shoulder to their developers in order to keep the Leopard GM a secret. They do have to test their apps on 10.5 to make sure everything works properly come October 26th or so.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

What makes you know the real "GM" (no evidence has popped up anywhere!) is actually hanging around 'torrent sites?
    I'm pretty sure the paying developers will get their real GM pretty soon, and then the 'torrents sites will make sure the beta testing is widely spread...

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, the bad PR of having apps not work at launch is much worse than losing out from piracy a little early...

14. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Sure they do... Hype! ;)

I completely disagree. One of the primary benefits of having a paid ADC account is advance access to OS X and its updates. This allows developers to keep their applications in step with the OS and also provides an additional layer of testing and feedback for Apple. There is simply no good reason why Apple should deny developers the opportunity to complete final testing of their applications on the GM build of Leopard prior to its public launch, not even the potential for early piracy.

Furthermore, there's no way Apple engineers can provide the information you suggest without actually testing all the potentially broken applications themselves. I sincerely doubt the resources to accomplish such a monumental task are forthcoming.

Get what’s next, before it’s released. -ADC Software Seeding Program

15. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

1. Release a potential GM, but don't tell anybody that we are already that close to going final.
    2. Last week of testing.
    3. Ramping up production.
    4. Public announcement of immediate availability of Leopard. Selling starts.
    5. Thanks to the dev community for their incredible work and announcement that the last build everybody had got had actually been the GM, which has proven "incredibly stable" (Jobs) since then. ;)

And there you go having a considerably shorter time span between possible packet delivery to fans and P2P availability of an official Gold Master.

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

unfortunatly in real world development it doesn't work that way.Developers MUST KNOW their app runs on the GM.Period.

Apple knows this and developers ( ADC ) will have a copy by the 19th if Leopard comes out on the 26th.

btw.

This is why a point update often follows the GM Release within a month.

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

That's just crazy talk. ;) No one that understands software engineering and who is of right mind would even consider doing something like that; i.e. introduce something new to a tested release at the last minute. That's just asking for disaster.

18. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

Well, dear paying ADC members. Apple has handed out 9A581 already to first class citizens, but not you (due to piracy concerns). Obviously they bet on the wrong horse. Paying ADC developers are left behind and the first class citizens leaked it within 24h.

Now let's see how long they can suppress that 9A581 is indeed GM.

19. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

9A559 is NOT the GM. Categorically, you are wrong. Sorry.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

either way, i'm just glad the date is finally set

21. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

That's true. I got it wrong. It's 9A581.

22. Blacky macrumors member

So you are telling me 9A581 is GM and has been leaked?

Can anyone confirm this? it's not like it couldn't be a fake torrent.

23. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think they said that 9a559 updated to pa581 thru software update, but i'm not sure

24. projectle macrumors 6502

From what I hear, there was no Software Update.

Additionally, my sources say that there is not yet anything for Developers on ADC, nor is the 9a581 release on various "third-party" sites legitimate.

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

maybe i'm wrong, but i could have sworn i read that somewhere