Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
The whole idea of just making it taller is dumb, we all know its dumb. Some of us are trying desperately to come up with justifications for it, but the fact remains: it's an insanely stupid idea, period. Sure, Apple will sell lots of them, but I'm pretty convinced that we will look back on this as the watershed moment when Apple lost it's mojo in the smartphone space.

I didn't even know that I thought it was dumb! Thank you for enlightening me on how I really feel, I won't try to form my own thoughts next time. For now on, I'll just go with the generally pessimistic attitude of the MacRumors community.

At least until Apple releases the iPhone 6S+ LTE Advanced Extreme Edition with an eight core CPU, hexagonal 7" screen (rectangles that can fit in your pocket are so 2007!), and a version of iOS that allows for up to six apps to share the screen at the same time- each with up to four widgets running concurrently on top of those apps! Then, and only then, will Apple be "keeping" up with the competition.

Okay, okay, so I went overboard on the sarcasm, I admit. But here's my point- we all have different opinions on what we want in a phone. I'm personally okay with the taller screen, because I feel that it strikes a balance between extra content, pocketability, and minimal stress for developers. It's okay that you don't like it, but understand that others legitimately do like it! :D

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Okay, okay, so I went overboard on the sarcasm, I admit. But here's my point- we all have different opinions on what we want in a phone. I'm personally okay with the taller screen, because I feel that it strikes a balance between extra content, pocketability, and minimal stress for developers. It's okay that you don't like it, but understand that others legitimately do like it! :D

Yeah. Tall is sexy. Tower of Power. Tall Drink of Water. What are these people talking about.

MRxRoman

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
Being wider doesn’t necessarily mean that it will make text bigger. When I had the HTC One X the text wasn't any bigger than the iPhone. They just used the extra space to add more content.

EDIT: added picture

Touché.
What exactly needs to happen to the screen then for it to get bigger text overall because that's important to me.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Touché.
What exactly needs to happen to the screen then for it to get bigger text overall because that's important to me.
Comparing text rendering on a 4.5" Android device with an iPhone (and with an hypothetical wider one) is not really accurate.

Technics used in iOS to handle a larger width could as well display as many text as now but larger, or text at the same size with longer lines and thus more text.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
The taller screen is at the same size as HD videos so it would make the black lines disappear in movies and videos.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
It makes sense because a wider phone hurts ergonomics big time. I have a hard time juggling the S3 in my hands.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm still going to hold out for next year's double-tall iPhone 5S with 10 rows of icons.

Me toooooooo Long Phone ftw!

It makes sense because a wider phone hurts ergonomics big time. I have a hard time juggling the S3 in my hands.

The S3 is just too big. Even if your eyesight is poor like mine it doesn't require S3 sized phones. I tell you a well proportioned 4.3 to 4.5 iPhone would serve the larger crowd and Apple could keep a slimmer 4" phone around for the crowd that prefers that form factor and I think they'd cover the gamut.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Not advertising, but you guys might want to check out my thread on this :

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1421016/

I've stated reasons why you should accept the new elongated screen with open arms, and the advantages of doing so, as well as why I think Apple didn't go with a wider screen.

However, I would like to warn you guys about the length of my thread :eek:

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012

You must have small hands...I can juggle 5 S3s, 2 bowling pins, and a squirrel without any problems.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
You must have small hands...I can juggle 5 S3s, 2 bowling pins, and a squirrel without any problems.

Yeah keep on exaggerating. I have fairly large hands. You probably don't know the meaning of "ergonomics" though.

pyromaniaque

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Well..Ask your mother.
BRTky.jpg

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Most of the time my iPhone gets two handed operation. With Siri, there isn't as much need for one handed operation. They keyboard is at the bottom where most one handed operation is so I'd personally like a wider phone. I'm fed up of a screen that shows one sentence! ;)

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Being wider doesn’t necessarily mean that it will make text bigger. When I had the HTC One X the text wasn't any bigger than the iPhone. They just used the extra space to add more content.

EDIT: added picture
How much text is on the screen isn't a result of how wide the screen is, but it's resolution. HTC's 1280 x 720 will show more text on the screen vs the iPhone's 960 x 640.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Totally agree. For example, I read a lot on these forums but from my phone, and Inceasing height and width would make text larger, which needs to happen because to me my eyes get tired after about 20 minutes of reading with this small font. I think it'd make web browsing a lot easier.

You can increase the font with third party browsers. I think Atomic Web does it best, but iCab mobile isn't so bad either. Here's a screenshot of how your post looks on Atomic Web after I've increased the font to ridiculous levels:

cGvgsl.png

C2QtMl.png

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I didn't even know that I thought it was dumb! Thank you for enlightening me on how I really feel, I won't try to form my own thoughts next time. For now on, I'll just go with the generally pessimistic attitude of the MacRumors community.

At least until Apple releases the iPhone 6S+ LTE Advanced Extreme Edition with an eight core CPU, hexagonal 7" screen (rectangles that can fit in your pocket are so 2007!), and a version of iOS that allows for up to six apps to share the screen at the same time- each with up to four widgets running concurrently on top of those apps! Then, and only then, will Apple be "keeping" up with the competition.

While I can't imagine why anybody would want a taller phone, I never said I didn't think anybody else was entitled to their opinion, I was simply expressing mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.