"Theres an app for that..."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViPa, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ViPa macrumors 6502a

who else loves these commercials? makes me feel honored to have an iphone :D

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Honored? You feel honored for something you paid for? :p

3. ViPa thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Meh...the apps are overrated. apple/at+t cripple the capabilities of the iphone... Most of the apps are gimmicks or junk (iFart anyone?), only a few are good.

5. henchosbandito macrumors member

I totally agree. In fact, i felt it appropriate to have my facebook status as 'at last! i have finally found a usefull app!' for about a week (runkeeper free if you were wondering). I also agree that probably 95% of apps in the app store are gimmick, something for people to put on their iphone to show off to their friends who are less fortunate in the iphone department.

Hopefully the proposed 'premium' section of the app store will turn out some worthwhile, useful and valuable apps.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i may not feel honored. but it is a huge step up from my first phone haha. aka THE BRICK. and it is still a huge step up from my Samsung Epix

8. mappyman macrumors regular

Pity they don't make it clear that those apps chew up the RAM forcing you to have a laggy phone once you use those apps for any length of time.

9. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

The more I research on the iphone the more I am disappointed. About the only reason I may get an iphone is so I can have everything on one device. I dislike having to carry the touch and cell.

And only one app can run at a time. apple is pretty clever with their marketing. You'd think the iphone had unlimited capabilities :rolleyes: ;)

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

What I like about the iPhone ads, is how simple and effective they are. Yeah, I know that the sequence is shortened, but all ads are a bit like that, lol.
    In essence, they just show the phone and the apps, no faffing about in some fictional scenario, like other mobile ads. I'm speaking from a UK perspective, here, can't comment on the ads in other countries.

11. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

The App store is a HUGE plus for the iPhone. While there are thousands of Apps I found found exactly 12 that are right for me. Disappointed? By no means - those 12 Apps I use everyday and they have turned the phone into something unobtainable from other sources. Do I honor those Apps? Well no, but I do take them out to dinner alot.

12. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

13. synagence macrumors 6502a

The best thing about the apps and it really shows Apples confidence is that they're not showing ANY native/inbuilt apps or features...

14. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Me too :) I think the App Store helps sell the iPhone.

Someone at my work exclaimed the other day "You use your iPhone for EVERYTHING". Half an hour later they asked how much one was, my boyfriend's been sucked in by the App for Everything ads and my friend wants one because she loves playing the games on mine. It's part of what sets it apart (and yes I know that other phones have, or are launching, the same sort of stores)

15. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I think it's funny how a slew of these ads have been pounded out during commercial breaks to promote the iphone...ultimately to get rid of as many of them as they can before they release the new one.

I've seen a significant upturn in people that want one...and still have no clue there will be a new one in just a few short months.
    ...even when they do know about it, they still can't seem to stand the wait.

So, I would have to agree...the ad campaign is definitely super catchy.

16. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I like the apps and the commercials. They aren't exactly false advertising. They show what the iPhone is capable of doing. That's all.

There are "junk" apps but a lot of them are quite useful. I had a friend who had his house hit by a tornado. The house and most belongings were gone (he wasn't home). Luckily he had an inventory of all his belongings with pictures on his iDisk. He simply used his iPhone and e-mailed the inventory to the insurance agent. Yep, there's an app for that. :)

17. slapppy macrumors 65816

This ad needs to be there. "Want to view Flash based video? There's no app for that"

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually it's more: want blinking annoying flash ads to suck up all your battery life?
    Don't worry, it wont happen.

19. Solo13 macrumors newbie

Well, not in the appstore, anyway. Might be called imobilecinema, or something, does some sort of conversion, maybe. Works most of the time. Or there used to be that videohamster thing which doesn't require a jailbroken device, not sure if it's still up?

Both pretty unlikely to appear in an ad though!

20. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Nice try..but flash is used more than just for ads. But it is a resource hog.

21. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

Do you want 175 different ways to make a fake fart noise, theres an app for that.

they should add that to the commercial. To lazy to make a fake burp? Theres an app for that.

1 million useless applications and counting

22. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

23. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Yet there are so many smart, useful apps.

24. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

It's like going to a flea market, you spend restless hours trying to look for something good. But there's only one good thing out of ten pieces of crap.

25. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

yes there are. but its like 20 to 1 ratio of dumb apps to useful ones.