These devs sure are taking their time...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by iBreatheApple, Oct 9, 2012.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Anyone else think resolution updates would roll out a but quicker than this? I know it doesn't just happen at the click of a button, but I'm still a bit surprised.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

There have been plenty of apps updated to use the new space in the iPhone 5. What apps are you needing updated? Have you looked at their web sites, twitter feeds, etc for a possible timeline for updates?
    Depending on the app they may need to design more. Apps like mail or apps that simply display data in a list have it easy since they just allow more data to be shown. Others need to spend more time with the extra space.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Without being specific it is hard to blame the developers. Plenty of popular apps have been updated to support the iPhone 5.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Some apps will also never see an update because some developers just aren't going to go back to update an app they didn't update for the last 2 years. Get used to it. The apps still works fine.

Also, changing the resolution can be very simple in the case of apps that just use UIScrollViews and can be a terrible nightmare for OpenGL ES or apps with custom art requiring tons of work for your graphics artist.

6. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

7. ihonda macrumors 68000

chase bank, att, youtube, twc max, youmail, engadget, groupon, ebay, barclays really need to get on the ball. i mean these apps arent graphic intense it shouldnt take this long, i love how chase just issued an ios6 update the other day but failed to acknolwedge iphone 5

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's not always to do with the "graphic intensity", but more about how difficult it is to take what you have and make it fit the new screen size properly. For many Apps that's going to require a major rethink, others only a few minutes of work.

9. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

For most it should only take a few minutes (if that).

10. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

wow... this is why i didn't want the iPhone 5 this year, and probably will be switching to Android. People are freaking about an extra what 3/4" of screen that is black that doesn't affect their new phone.

Now i understand that you most likely bought the iPhone 5 for the bigger screen and expect to be able to use the entire screen, but this is kind of ridiculous.

They will get to it when they get to it. if its really affecting you day to day then thats a little sad.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

Anyone else considering a non-compliant iPhone 5 App purge?

My experience with Retina on iPhone (and to a lesser extent, the iPad), if a dev didnt update their app in the first 3 weeks then they didnt care so I dumped them. And looking back at my library then there are a ton of apps that have never been updated so I'm close to doing the same with the iPhone 5. I dont mean to trivialize a devs job (or the app approval process), but if youre not in a rush to make your app look good on 20 million devices then there's another app thats just as good and does care.

12. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Honestly the blame falls 100% on Apple. In their quest to secretive, which impresses no one, the leave the developers out in the cold and as a result deliver a sub-par launch experience. If Apple had announced resolution changes or anything at WWDC (you know, the place where they are suppose to care about developers) then there would have been truck loads more updates ready.

Most developers aren't going to drop everything to incorporate this small feature into an old branch of code. Not to mention that a large amount of developers aren't doing this as their day job and I can understand not wanting to get to work after you just got home from work.

I can't believe developers need to pay $100 a year for the pleasure of dealing with people like this.

13. urkel macrumors 68030

Devs arent a charity. We give them money, they give us products. This is how its supposed to work and if this were any product other than an Apple one you would likely agree.

14. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Since you're obviously well-versed in several programming languages: exactly how much time should a developer take to update your free or $0.99 app, pray tell?

15. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Wow at this over dramatic post. You took way more out of this post than what I gave. It's not "affecting me day to day" and its not "sad", I just thought updates would be quicker.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

There is officially no way to make a comment that favors the consumer over the corporation without someone getting offended by it. I guess the only way to be a good consumer nowadays is to blindly give people money and if you get something in return then it's a bonus.

17. wookiee2cu macrumors member

The phone hasn't even been out a month yet. They had to get their hands on one too, then start recoding & testing AND then they have to submit it to Apple and wait. Some updates have rolled out but honestly I think it's going to be between 2-3 months and then we might see a greater number of updates hit the app store.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

pretty much get used to it. It is the price you pay for Apple encouraging bad design standards.

19. atteligibility macrumors regular

I am one of those developers, let me give you a few explanations as to why things take so long:

- Most of the devs heard about the iPhone 5 resolution the same day that you guys did, i.e. 1 week before the release of the iPhone 5
    - Yes we could have 'guessed' the resolution from the rumors we have heard over the months, but without more information on how we should handle those multiple resolutions, developing the updates before receiving the final specifications was a bet most of us didn't want to take
    - Assuming 1 app= multiple devs dedicated to that app only. The proces can go from very simple to quite complex, it really varies a lot depending on the amount of graphic assets, but also depending on the way things were written in the first place. Some devs have bad habbits in hardcoding some coordinates, so that would take longer to figure out.
    - The previous assumptions is very rare. Usually one dev works on multiple apps. Most of us contract for various companies, and I am the main dev for a dozen apps. Needless to say, all my customers called me the day they announced the iPhone 5, and it's going to take time to get to the bottom of the list.
    - A lot of the companies waited for the iPhone 5 announcement to bundle that update with iOS6 compatibility. Sure the iOS6 compatibility could have been started back in July, but a lot of companies preferred to wait for iPhone 5 announcement in order to minimize cost. So most of the updates you see out there isn't just an iPhone 5 support update, but an iPhone 5+ iOS6 support update. Actually, most companies also use that opportunities to provide a little more value with bug fixes or even new features. All that takes time.
    - A lot of devs have a thorough testing process, and any update, even minimal. Sometimes, every single test case for the app needs to get rerun. Depending on the company, it can go from a few days to a few weeks.

- Finally, and that's something that surprisingly I haven't read anywhere yet; some companies are in standby mode: that extra space we get on the screen, it's the perfect size for an ad banner. It's very tempting for some companies to just use that space for that purpose, but everybody is afraid of the users reaction to such move, and nobody wants to be the first ones to test this.

Hope this helps..

20. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

Spirit for ipad was FINALLY updated to retina graphics, TODAY! Well, only took them around eight months to update.........can't wait to see black bars on my iPhone 5 for the next eight months. Just sayin'

21. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Bottom line: it takes time for developers to update (if they even want to) for a new form factor. It's not as simple as select all and drag to resize.

22. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I'm waiting for pandora, YouTube and ESPN scorecenter

23. hasanahmad, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012

hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Sit down and be patient

24. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

This is seriously the dumbest comment I've heard all year. What would be the point of this? You have a perfectly good app that has been useful in the past and you're just going to toss it cause... well, there isn't a good reason here.

What is up with the unrealistic sense of entitlement these days? I swear, in about 2 years, the phrase "common sense" will not be a saying any more.