Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following over three months of beta testing, iOS 17 was released on Monday for the iPhone XS and newer. The free software update includes a wide range of new features, but not all of them are available right away.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Orange-Purple.jpg

Below, we have listed features that Apple says are coming "later this year" in a future update, such as iOS 17.1 or iOS 17.2.

Journal App

Journal-App-iOS-17.jpeg

An all-new Journal app will allow iPhone users to reflect on their day and memories, complete with text, photos, music, audio recordings, and more. The app will provide personalized suggestions based on recent on-device activity.

Collaborative Apple Music Playlists

apple-music-collaborative-playlist.jpg

A new Collaborative Playlists feature for Apple Music will allow multiple people to add, reorder, and remove songs in a shared playlist.

AirDrop Transfers via Internet

airdrop-ios-17.jpg

If you send content like an image or video to another user via AirDrop, the transfer will be able to continue over an internet connection if you leave AirDrop range, so long as both you and the recipient are signed in to an iCloud account.

iMessage Contact Key Verification

Apple-advanced-security-iMessage-Contact-Key-Verification_screen-Feature.jpg

In December 2022, Apple previewed a new iMessage Contact Key Verification security feature and said it would launch globally in 2023.

iMessage Contact Key Verification will allow users who face "extraordinary digital threats," such as journalists, human rights activists, and government officials, to further verify that they are messaging only with the people they intend. In conversations between users who have enabled iMessage Contact Key Verification, users are alerted if a state-sponsored attacker or other malicious actor were ever to succeed breaching cloud servers and inserting their own device to eavesdrop on the conversation.

As an additional layer of security, iMessage Contact Key Verification users will be able to compare a Contact Verification Code in person, on FaceTime, or through another secure call to further verify they are communicating only with whom they intend.

Next-Generation CarPlay

next-generation-carplay-multi-display.jpg

At WWDC 2022, Apple previewed the next generation of CarPlay, which will feature support for multiple displays, widgets, and integration with vehicle functions like the instrument cluster, climate controls, and FM radio.

Apple said the first vehicles with support for the next-generation CarPlay experience would be announced in late 2023, with committed automakers including Acura, Audi, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Porsche, Volvo, and others.

More iOS 17 Features Coming Later This Year
  • React to a message with any sticker through the Tapback menu in the Messages app.
  • A catch-up arrow for group conversations in the Messages app.
  • Sync additional settings with Messages in iCloud, such as Text Message Forwarding, Send & Receive accounts, and SMS filters across devices.
  • Play or pause a podcast or Apple News+ audio story in the Apple News widget.
  • Favorite Songs playlist in Music app.
  • Intelligent form detection and enhanced AutoFill for PDFs.
  • Audio Focus feature for Apple Fitness+ that prioritizes the volume of either the music or the trainers' voices depending on your preference.
  • Apple ID proximity sign-in with an existing signed-in and trusted iPhone or iPad when setting up a new Apple device.
The first iOS 17.1 beta should be available by next week, and the update will likely be released in late October or early November.

Article Link: These iOS 17 Features Are Launching Later This Year

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I cannot wait for 'AirDrop Transfers via Internet'! It's a hassle to be next to someone when airdropping a 4k video.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
You want to know what's also coming later this year?

Stability.

I am the tech guy in my house, and I updated everyone's phones to iOS 17, An iPhone 12 and 13 keeps respringing.

• Love

thiscatisfat

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
To be honest, the iOS 16 version I have right now (the most recent one) is the most stable version of iOS 16 I've had since iOS 16 came out last year. Every time they announce a new iOS, it's buggy and overall pretty bad. The last versions before the release of the next major update in September are usually the ones that are most stable, at least in my experience.

So I'll update to iOS 17 once iOS 18 comes out. I really don't believe Apple wants to improve my iPhone 12 mini with this release, and I'm quite certain it wants to make it worse for me to so that I feel like I need to buy a new phone.

I'd love to be proven wrong here, but this was my experience with iOS that goes as far back as iOS 7.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
My vents are vertical and I haven't found anything that will really work well.
It's a tough nut at that point as the dashboard area often gets bathed in sunlight - I noticed (touching the display to wake the phone up) a week or so ago, the turned off screen of my iPhone (its basically black) got amazingly hot from the sun while I was driving (after removing the phone and placing it in a shadow on the seat, nothing was running, it cooled right down).

I have mine mounted in a vent, but had the air going through the foot ducks at the time. I had no idea how hot it would get with the display off and the phone not running anything just from some off angle sunshine.

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Maybe it’s iPadOS only but I have the intelligent form detection for PDFs already. Used it this morning. Am I missing something?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Side-loading?

And I thought the below was already supposed to be there and drove myself nuts trying to work out why I couldn't see it :D

• React to a message with any sticker through the Tapback menu in the Messages app.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
So far iOS17 hasn’t given me anything new that I actually find useful .. first time this has happened.
And these features won’t change that.

Also still haven’t found any widget worth using, even with the improved functionality.

Pretty boring update.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Such is the trend with software releases these days.
  • hype up all the new stuff that'll be in that software
  • release said software in a half-baked form with a good chunk of that hype missing
  • claim that the missing stuff will come some time "later"
  • software remains in "perpetual beta" state regardless, with an equally "perpetual beta" experience
Video gaming in particular is the worst with this behavior -- and that junk is usually PAID for. (DLCs, battle passes, pre-orders, etc)

I have to wonder if Apple went back to the days of charging for updates, would they be more motivated to release in a more complete, stable fashion? If the gaming industry is any indicator, the answer is nope.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
I’ve had this for years now. How will this be different than the existing smart playlist?

Edit: I have a 5 stars playlist and a most-played playlist.
Not on iOS. There is not inherent favorites playlist, smart or otherwise. You can make a favorited playlist on Mac Music, and it will copy over to iOS devices, but it does a very poor job of keeping synchronized. IOW, if you are listening to song on an iPhone and decide to "love" it, it won't update your favorited smart playlist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.