Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I paid using an overseas credit card with an overseas billing address, is that not allowed somehow ?

Edit -

I got the following email :

caqtUdx.png

Last edited:

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
billing and shipping address need to match

Well my shipping address is US based, but I'm paying from an overseas location, can i just put the same US address or would that be problematic ? I slipped through later delivery dates now due to this cancellation :(

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I don't recall very many purchases (besides like Amazon) where the billing address and the shipping address could be mismatched. Regardless, I think it says this during checkout (I didn't check out with apple this time so I'm not 100% certain).

They do this so you can't steal your grandma's credit card and charge your iPhone to it while having it delivered to you...

cforster

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Missouri USA
I place orders on the Apple Store all the time with a different shipping address than my credit card address.

I did it with my iPhone 6 and 6 plus pre-orders last night and so far no issues.

I believe your problem with the cancellation is likely due to the credit card that was used to place the order.

Just my 2 cents.

(Hope I'm right, two new awesome phones depend on it!)

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I could see how that would raise a red flag. I'm sure tons of people are trying to scam Apple so don't be upset they're just trying to protect themselves.

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Call them. They'll tell you what the issue is and may even be able to reinstate your place in the queue once it is sorted. I suspect the card company flagged the transaction. This frequently happens during these orders for various cards. Especially if you've enabled any security measures for larger purchases to be verified.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
OP, it could be that your CC flagged the transaction as a fraud alert when Apple tried to charge them. I am in the US and the only time I can remember getting denied by my CC was when I tried to order something from a UK based company.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I place orders on the Apple Store all the time with a different shipping address than my credit card address.

I did it with my iPhone 6 and 6 plus pre-orders last night and so far no issues.

I believe your problem with the cancellation is likely due to the credit card that was used to place the order.

Just my 2 cents.

(Hope I'm right, two new awesome phones depend on it!)

This is a carrier imposed rule. The shipping address with Apple must match the billing address with AT&T (or whoever), not necessarily your credit card. I think the overseas credit card is a different restriction aimed at preventing chargeback scams.

Also, to the extent a site requires the shipping to match your billing address, many credit card companies let you list alternate approved billing addresses if you call them.

Last edited:

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Thank you for the replies all, I actually called my bank and they said it's not from their end. The payment goes in as $0 directly and is then rejected by the bank, but the card is OKAY and can accept payments done internationally with no false fraud cancellations. The payment is basically $0 charged from Apple's end, why on earth would they do that ?

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
That would be absurd. How could a parent buy a college student the new iphone if the shipping address had to be the same as the billing?

The previous two years I've had to initially place the order so that it was shipped to my carrier billing address. Once it was ordered I could then call Apple and change the shipping address. I believe it was a condition set by my carrier (AT&T).

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
I got a call from Visa Fraud Prevention at 810am (idiots) wanting to verify my info and purchase.No problem. The automated system asks my zip and I enter it. Doesn't match our records. Try again,same response. Connected to moronic human who attempts to verify my address. I tell him my address and he says its not what we have on file. He asks about my previous address (according to me) and I verify I tell him I moved 4 months ago and my credit union of 37 years has my correct address on file. Then the moron says I need to straighten that out with my credit union! Straighten what out? Then he attempts to end the call with,"Do you have any more questions"? "I didn't have any questions,you did".
OK,back to sleep for 2 more hours then.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah I need to call them, it's 3am now though ...

As soon as I click on purchase I get a text saying that I've been charged $0, so this means it gets cancelled promptly. Ugh so annoying.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Well I got this email :

Thank you for your recent order with the Apple Online Store. We appreciate your business.

We are unable to complete your order. We do not ship to freight forwarder addresses. Therefore your order has been cancelled. While you may see a pending authorization on your account, you will not be charged and that pending authorization will drop off in accordance with your banks policies. Please contact your bank for an exact timeframe.

Bummer ... Any ideas ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They noticed that you used a shipping company that forwards packages and not a residential (or business address). From your OP and the last post, it looks like you're trying to buy the iPhone 6 from the US store but have it delivered over seas. Apple saw what you were trying to do and cancelled your order.

Your best bet is wait until the IP6 is available in your country.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I think it's pretty obvious, you ordered and you put in a freight forwarder address. I.e. You were shipping it to a courier who is then going to ship it out of the country to you. Apple don't allow shipping outside of the original country you ordered it from.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
You noticed that you used a shipping company that forwards packages and not a residential (or business address). From your OP and the last post, it looks like you're trying to buy the iPhone 6 from the US store but have it delivered over seas. Apple saw what you were trying to do and cancelled your order.

Your best bet is wait until the IP6 is available in your country.

I think it's pretty obvious, you ordered and you put in a freight forwarder address. I.e. You were shipping it to a courier who is then going to ship it out of the country to you. Apple don't allow shipping outside of the original country you ordered it from.

Yeah well that sucks ... The iPhone 6 comes with no face time where I live, and is more expensive. This sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.