They Lie! (Christmas Lights That All Don't Go Out)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A big pet peeve with me are these Christmas lights that are advertised as not all going out when one bulb fails- HAH Hahahahaha, bastardos! (tormented laugh). ;)

Ok, so only half the strand went out. I was hoping that it was a fuse issue as many stands have two circuits with a fuse for each. So I checked the fuses (located in the plug) with a continuity tester, no help, they were good. These look like they are in series and if one half are not illuminated, then the first one should be the culprit, right? Nope, it's good. I refuse to check each bulb. That's why I bought the strand "that stays lite". Therefore I will revert to my original plan of tossing a strand and replacing it when it acts up. My particular brand is Philips 100 lights strand of Mini Lights. It's not like they are expensive $4.99 each so it's not that much of a hardship, but still highly annoying!

Note: "Set stays lit if one bulb burns out." Liars! :p

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Maybe two bulbs went out.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I see what you are saying. That was my mistake, however, this puts you back into the position of having to check every bulb. My Son did it one year and that did not solve the issue. It's too much work for too little return. Hence back to the mad about false advertising ;).

4. neil1980 macrumors 6502

If the bulbs are in series then if any bulb in that circuit blows then none of the bulbs in that circuit will illuminate regardless of position as the circuit is now open.

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Christmas lights wired in series should remain lit because the bulbs have a shunt that takes over in the event one or more filaments burn out, unless of course there is a bad connection in one of the bulb sockets, a blown fuse, broken wire, or a blinker bulb burned out. Sometimes it's a pain to troubleshoot. Been there, done that

[​IMG]

Today's standard mini-light bulbs contain a shunt wire below the filament. If the filament burns out, the shunt activates and keeps current running through the bulb so that the rest of the strand stays lit.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Good to know. I believe you that this is the theory and the design, but in practice my experience it rarely works that way. Of note I do have a couple of burned out lights were that appeared to happen, the rest stayed on, but I just got done tossing 3 strands of lights were half the strand went out and the fuses checked good. :confused:
    I acknowledge these thing are cheap as can be so I'm lucky if I get 2 seasons out of them.

7. Roric macrumors regular

It is likely a loose bulb. The shunt won't help it if the bulb is not seated completely.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

C7 Christmas lights (lights wired in parallel) FTW! :cool:

[​IMG]

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

If you had previously replaced a bulb and possibly used a bulb from an old strand that didn't have the shunts, that bulb possibly went out again but caused the rest to go out.

I have a strand of icicle lights that has a half-dozen burned out bulbs. Fortunately, it's not needed as I have enough without it so I'll just use that one for spare bulbs now.