They make Smart Covers for Galaxy Tab 10.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ilovemyibook, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ilovemyibook macrumors 6502

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

This is a small thing considering how they can copy the whole apple retail store in China.

3. ethics101 macrumors regular

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

old story. not necessarily a copy of apple. actually considerably different. for instance, it wraps around the back and isn't held on by magnets. i am sure if there is a patent dispute, they'll flesh it out. imitation is the best form of flattery, and a great way to give apple lawyers a light workout.

5. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I agree it is kind of ridiculous how many other manufacturers copy Apple but that specific accessory wasn't made by Samsung. It's probably some small guy hand making them in china in his house.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I truly believe that the best copycats (especially Samsung) only HELP Apple. The word "tablet" is becoming synonymous with "iPad". The more you make your product look and act like an iPad, the more people are going to just think it's an iPad anyway. So what are they going to go out and buy? iPads.

There is a vocal minority of tech geeks out there that buy Android tablets because they a) hate Apple for whatever reason and b) want a device they can monkey around with a little more. And that's fine. But I am a tech geek too, and I personally think that if you want a "real" tablet, you need an iPad.

Case in point: I'm what you'd call a pretty hard core commuter. My train ride to work is an hour+ one way. This is the main reason I bought an iPad, and it also gives me an opportunity to observe what everyone else is using. Also, for the most part, people stick to the same car and roughly the same seat every day. Most tablet users have iPads. There is one person on the car I usually ride in that has a Xoom, and another guy has a Dell something or other. (Streak maybe?) One day someone was asking the Xoom guy about his iPad. No matter how much he insisted it was not an iPad, they just kept calling it an iPad. They started asking him about apps and media and stuff, and then it became apparent to the person that this guy was NOT using an iPad, and the questioning ceased. Not an iPad, not interested.

Another lady got a new iPad earlier this week--her group of four friends she sits with every day were ooing and aaing over it all the way into the city. Passing it around, looking at all the different apps, basically being in gadget lust.

Am I a loser for sitting on the train observing this kind of stuff? Yeah, pretty much. But I can't help it. I look at what phones, tablets, and other gadgets people are using all day long. I work in a very business-centric and also touristy part of Chicago, so I see all kinds of people every day. To me, it still appears that there's Apple and then there's all the other me too companies. As I said on Engadget the other day, I still think the dark underbelly of Android usage statistics is that it's the de facto non-iPhone, it gets crammed down your throat if you don't care which phone you buy, and it often does not get used as a smartphone OS, especially among females. They just want to make calls and text.

These are all anecdotal, non-scientific observations by one person (me), but long story short: copycat products are often more good for Apple than bad.

7. ilovemyibook thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

But how many people actually know all the details about Apple products? Yes, we know it is a knockoff, but your average person would look at it and think it's an Apple product. Just sayin'

8. tstarks33 macrumors regular

What, no one has posted the fact that Apple stole the idea from Incase to begin with?

9. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

very true. except that Apple took Incase's idea and improved it.

10. Tritons macrumors 6502

I love competition in technology, it's what moves us forward. But what's Samsung is doing isn't competition it's copying and that dosn't move anyone forward. Why wouldn't they compete makeing something new and unseeen. Samsung you disappoint me.

*Sorry for my bad english

11. skittles90623 macrumors regular

The fact that he used the word "smart cover" makes it sound like they copied Apple, but you have to figure that they woulda came out with it anyways because its an obvious accessory. And like somebody else said, it isn't like Samsung copied Apple.

12. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

This is a *prime* example of why people hate fan-boys. Double standards, hypocrisy and a general ignoring of facts/reality.

13. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

So InCase developed a case that does everything that the SmartCover, such as turning the iPad on and off?

14. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

If ANYONE here has the Tab I would love for you to buy that case and tell me how well it works. I GUARANTEE that those cases are absolute **** and won't work even close to the smart covers.

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This was a story on Engadget a few a weeks ago, this "Smart Cover" look-a-like was not made or designed by Samsung but rather a 3rd party company called "Anymode"

Samsung did not copy Apple's Smart Cover design, nor did they sell or approve 3rd party case makers to sell this Smart Cover look-a-like on the market (though obviously some have made their way to eBay).

Samsung has responded on its official blog, distancing itself from Anymode's product:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/18/anymodes-galaxy-tab-10-1-case-cops-apples-fashion-sense/

Couldn't agree more.

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

This isn't the anymode case (which was never made in large qtys/released). It's just a generic 'smart cover' case, which just so happens to be made for the Galaxy Tab.

If you're pissed at this then 1) you get pissed very easily and 2) you should be pissed off at the knockoff smart covers for the ipad too then.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Thats what I get for quick glancing the image from eBay.

18. tstarks33 macrumors regular

Exactly.

19. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not FOR the galaxy, it's FO

20. AndroiDemon macrumors newbie

Puh-lease

Hey people? For all the complaining you're doing about "copying" and how "tablet has come to mean apple" and all that other BS, let me remind you about a few *important* facts...

1. Learn your history: Tablets were around LONG before the iPad was even thought of. I owned a Tablet PC in 2007. It was made by HP and it ran windows, then Linux. If anyone stole the "tablet" idea, it was Apple.

2. The Galaxy Tab 10.1, which I happen to own, is similar to the iPad in two ways: It's a tablet, and it's roughly the same size. Other than that, it's every bit as different as an iPhone is different from, say, the HTC Evo.

3. The Galaxy Tab is lighter, faster, has a larger screen, better display, and a LOT more power than the iPad. Simply put: It's a better device. Just like the Evo 3D is a better device than the iPhone 4. This isn't opinion, it isn't an insult, it's just a fact. That's why I bought them over the Apple products.

I'm sorry some of you are having difficulty getting by this, but I've always said to my mac-loving friends: If you like the product, buy it and use it. Nobody's asking you to switch teams. But I'll be damned if I'm going to sit around and listen to jealous whines, lies, and downright insults against a great product, no matter how much you hate it. I happen to love it. When Apple grows up, puts on it's big-girl panties, takes their thumb out of their ass and opens up a LOT more to the open source world and actually allows their users to modify and customize their products to their liking, and also lowers their outrageous prices on their computers a little, then maybe I'll take a little more interest in them.

For now, however, I'll stick to buying ipods, but that's about it.

I mean no disrespect to apple, or indeed any of you, but I'm just calling the shots as I see them. I respect apple as a company, and they've come out with some good stuff... I myself own an ipod, as I said, but I can't get past their rotten attitude and overpricing.

Now, if a hardcore Android user such as myself can dislike Apple for it's flaws, yet still respect them for their accomplishments, I see absolutely NO reason why all of you can't do the same for Android.

Whether you like it or not, Android has grown. It's matured. It's come a very long way, and I think if you wanted to be honest with yourselves, you'd have to admit that it's not going to stop.

So stop the bitching about Samsung and just accept the fact that Apple and Samsung are two great companies making great products. And some people love one, others another.

And before anyone here starts to flame me, I've been in the IT field for over 12 years. I've been a programmer, a network administrator, and an IT director. I've fixed Apples, I've networked them, I've written software for them, and I've honestly tried to like them. Regardless, I know them well. I've given them their fair chance, and maybe someday in the future I will again (if they ever change). But for now? I'll stick with Windows for my workstation, Linux for my servers, and Android for my mobile devices. Why? Because it works for me.

21. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

22. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

The xoncept of the tablet goes all the way back to the 60's on a little show called star trek. It was rejuvenated in TNG in a form more consistent with what we see today. Much like in the movie 2001. That isn't the point. Apple 'created' what is the tablet market today, hence iPad is synonymous with tablet and in people's minds Apple invented said category.

How about the 30 pin dock connector, that no one else used except Apple and then Samsung? How about the fact that Samsung copied the minimalist design concept with no ports, while every other Android based tablet have ports? How about the fact that Samsung saw the ipad2 this March, then said they had to go back to the drawing board cause the current 10.1 was to thick and looked nothing like the ipad2? What about Samsungs 'similar' icons to Apple's, phones that look very similar to iphones, and so on? and have you seen Samsung's new attempt to copy the MacBook Air?

the Galaxy tab is better than the iPad? I think you have rose colored glasses on. You might want to check some tech review sites. Tech specs and actual use can vary significantly. I'll tell you what, how about you grab your galaxy tab, and I'll grab an ipad2 and we'll create a document that is 2 paragraphs long. When I finish, you'll still be trying to get through paragraph one waiting for the letters to show up after you type them. This is just a minor example of the issues with Honeycomb and the Galaxy Tab. Hate to tell you this, but out of all the tablets, the Tab is generally listed as one of the worst. It's a bad knock off of the iPad, nothing more. This is not opinion, but court documented fact.:D wink wink ;)

And if you worked IT (I've been using Microsoft since it came out to the public), then I find it amazing you never jailbroke an iDevice and realized the true potential. By the way, do you have virus protection installed on your Android phone? :)

23. AndroiDemon macrumors newbie

No, I'm afraid I do not have rose colored glasses on. The galaxy comes with a better processor. Plain and simple. And no, I have no problems typing. I guess it depends on what application you're using, but the keyboard is every bit as fast as a desktop. As for jailbreaking.... Why on earth would I want to spend twice the money on a product that I need to jailbreak when I can get the same out of the box from a PC? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. It also voids your warranty.

Look, you can believe what you want, but the facts speak for themselves. If Apple were truly superior they would have 90% of the business market share. They don't. PC does. They would also likely have at least one computer listed on top500.org but they don't. The worlds top 500 supercomputers are all pc based. And a good 450+ of them are powered by some flavor of Linux.

Look, judging by your user name, I take it you're a fanboy (or girl) and thats fine. Enjoy your apple products. But don't bash mine just because they're not yours. That's juvenile. Time to grow up.

24. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

This was kind of funny to read. You are shooting off in every direction trying to hit a mark that doesn't exist. Thought we were discussing tablets and you rationalize some outta left field point by discussing the computer market and supercomputers? And in case you missed the last year and a half, the iPad IS the tablet market. Samsung isn't even in 2nd or 3rd place in this market.

Last paragraph was good though. Kettle, meet pot. :rolleyes:

And I wasn't bashing the Galaxy Tab. I was simply stating public records and court documents. The Tab blows. The reviews and public agree. Samsung can't sell them, because rational people don't want them. Try not to take things so personally. You bought a POS tablet. Live with your decision. I'll stick with my HP Touchpad and my iPad2. Cause you know, I'm a rabid Apple fanboi, as you so eloquently pointed out. :rolleyes: :p

25. AndroiDemon macrumors newbie

How am I shooting off the hip? What are you talking about?? I'm stating FACTS, buddy. Go to top500.org and find the mac.

Regarding tablets: I already said that both companies make great products. I just happen to like the Android version better... for the reasons I stated. And in case you haven't noticed, I'm far from alone.

Your specious reasoning isn't working. Your only arguments are that it looks like an iPad and it has a 30 pin connector (which isn't interchangeable with any mac product, just so you know).

So according to you, the entire world should be run purely on original ideas?? Hmm... great theory. Then we'd only have one car company, one bicycle company, one computer company, one coffee company, etc. Do you see how silly this sounds?? One company takes the idea of another company, says "Hey, they did a good job on that... let's take it a step further.." That's called INNOVATION. Apple did it for the tablet. They took the tablet idea that was around long before the iPad, and they made it better. That's why it's popular. Nobody is disputing that.

But now Samsung (and Motorola, etc.) has come around and done the same thing. They've taken the tablet idea and brought it to the Android world... They apparently liked the style and looks of the iPad, so they implemented parts of it in their design.

That's just how the world works. That's how it's always worked. So how about you fanboys and girls get off your high horses, because apple stole more than their fair share.

Was the iPhone the first touch-screen smartphone? Nope. Windows CE was. Looooooong before the iPhone.

Was Apple the first company to come up with a windows-based GUI? Nope. That would be Microsoft.

Was Apple the first company to come out with a tablet? Not even close. In fact, Microsoft COINED the term "Tablet" in 2001 with their first "Tablet PC". HP was the first to produce it.

How about the first laptop? That would also be a PC, made by Xerox, called the "Dynabook" in 1972. Apple wasn't even in business yet.

First portable music player? Sony walkman, not Apple.

More specifically, the first MP3 player? iPod?? Nope. Not even close. A good 4 or 5 MP3 players were on the market before the iPod was even thought of. The man who invented the first MP3 player was Kane Kramer. Apple eventually hired him.

Do you want to even talk about all of the computers and operating systems that came out companies like AT&T Bell Labs, IBM, and major colleges like MIT and Berkley?? LONG before Apple was thought of??

Like I said, you need a history lesson. Apple was not the sole creator of technology. You *really* need to get over yourself.